Was luke warm about the Pearl but am thrilled now

dfishner

We have been cruising on RCL for a number of years and it has been our cruiseline of choice. Over the last year things have changed with them in our opinion, they seem to have turned their backs on their repeat customers for whatever reason it is no longer the same as when we first started to cruise them. We decided about 6 months ago that it was time to see what else was out there and saw a couple of TV shows that featured the Pearl and decided to book it. Even after I booked it I was having an uneasy feeling about NCL not sure why maybe some of what I read who knows but was not really excited as I usually am when knowing we have a cruise coming up.

Anyway over the last month or so I have been reading some excellent reviews about the Pearl and found the excitement started coming back and I found myself looking forward to our cruise in December. We were talking this evening about the different restaurants the Pearl has and how nice the ship looks. Have an aft cabin great OBC better then RCL ever gave us. Looking forward to Freestyle which I would not of said over a year ago and actually was the main reason I did not want to try NCL but we have changed as well when we started trying My Time Dining on RCL and found how much we enjoyed it so now I am looking forward to the freestyle experience.

I think I was a closeted NCLer since we no longer enjoyed formal nights and over the last year or so we stopped taking formal clothes, have moved away from traditional dining because 6 and 8:30 are not the times we like to eat. I am on vacation and want to dine when I am hungry and I want to be comfortable and casual, I also like to have choices which NCL has plenty of.

I find myself reading the NCL board more and reading the RCL board less over the last couple of months. I still like RCL but it is no longer our cruise line of choice there are just to many other lines to experience. We both are looking forward to our upcoming cruise I am now glad we made the choice to cruise on NCL Pearl. Thanks to all the great reviews I read on here it really helped.

dfishner, I appreciate your telling your story about your transition from RCCL to NCL. I did a lot of research before we cruised and NCL was the only cruise line that would fit my husband's style. He is a late sleeper and so his whole day is shifted later. We usually eat dinner about 9-9:30 p.m., which just wouldn't fit into the traditional dining times. My parents generously took the family on a cruise with Crystal Cruises and, though it was very nice, we just didn't feel comfortable. I hope you enjoy your cruise on the Pearl.

I think I was a closeted NCLer since we no longer enjoyed formal nights and over the last year or so we stopped taking formal clothes, have moved away from traditional dining because 6 and 8:30 are not the times we like to eat. I am on vacation and want to dine when I am hungry and I want to be comfortable and casual, I also like to have choices which NCL has plenty of.

LOL I love the above quote. It actually sounds like an ad for NCL. Yes, you are a potential NCLer (or a Norweenie as we call ourselves around here). Once you return from your Pearl cruise you will be an official member! :)

Seriously, I think from what you say, that NCL is a good match for you. You will enjoy the relaxed atmosphere, all of the dining choices and no required formal nights.

I hope you have a fabulous cruise and look forward to hearing all about it when you return.

CG

I have always been a NCL fan but after spending two weeks on the Pearl recently, it just reinforced why I like NCL so much. I have nothing against the other lines and have sailed RCL but Freestyle is what keeps me coming back. We had such different port times in Alaska that the relaxed dress and dining worked out so great. :)

You have a great attitude. I think you will find many things you like about NCL. I have cruised with RCI 5x and NCL 5x. and I like them both. In 2008, we were told that NCL is upgrading the beds. Before, the change I considered the beds on NCL to be the worst of the seven different cruise lines I have sailed with.

Enjoy your cruise.

I'm warming up to NCL as well, and we just might book Epic for our family Christmas cruise next year. I was one who said "Oh, I would never want to do Freestyle Dining!" But now that I have kids that will be cruising with us, I think there's definitely an advantage to having some flexibility around meal times. (And I would LOVE to stop buying formal dresses that I only wear a few times!)

I used to think that, all things being equal, RCCL had a superior product. However, RCCL's prices have gotten so high (especially their 3rd-4th person rates!) that things are no longer equal, and we've decided to shop around. Really like what I'm seeing on NCL.

You have a great attitude. I think you will find many things you like about NCL. I have cruised with RCI 5x and NCL 5x. and I like them both. In 2008, we were told that NCL is upgrading the beds. Before, the change I considered the beds on NCL to be the worst of the seven different cruise lines I have sailed with.

Enjoy your cruise.

I have to comment about the beds. I was on the Dawn last year before the bedding upgrade and after the upgrade. I did notice a big difference in the change. I was on the Pearl last week and was amazed at how comfort the bed was. I usually do not sleep very well anywhere I travel. I guess I am just used to my bed at home but on the Pearl I slept great every night. The beds were even more confortable than on the Dawn. The pillows were also a welcomed change.

I'm warming up to NCL as well, and we just might book Epic for our family Christmas cruise next year. I was one who said "Oh, I would never want to do Freestyle Dining!" But now that I have kids that will be cruising with us, I think there's definitely an advantage to having some flexibility around meal times. (And I would LOVE to stop buying formal dresses that I only wear a few times!)

I used to think that, all things being equal, RCCL had a superior product. However, RCCL's prices have gotten so high (especially their 3rd-4th person rates!) that things are no longer equal, and we've decided to shop around. Really like what I'm seeing on NCL.

How old are your kids? We'll have an 11 year old girl on the Dec 18 - 25, 2010 Epic sailing!

How old are your kids? We'll have an 11 year old girl on the Dec 18 - 25, 2010 Epic sailing!

My kids are girls, but they're a little younger. They'll be 6 (actually, just a couple of weeks shy of 7!) and 4 at the time we sail. I might be joining your roll call in a few days if I can convince the rest of my family that Epic is the way to go.

We have been cruising on RCL for a number of years and it has been our cruiseline of choice. Over the last year things have changed with them in our opinion, they seem to have turned their backs on their repeat customers for whatever reason it is no longer the same as when we first started to cruise them. We decided about 6 months ago that it was time to see what else was out there and saw a couple of TV shows that featured the Pearl and decided to book it. Even after I booked it I was having an uneasy feeling about NCL not sure why maybe some of what I read who knows but was not really excited as I usually am when knowing we have a cruise coming up.

Anyway over the last month or so I have been reading some excellent reviews about the Pearl and found the excitement started coming back and I found myself looking forward to our cruise in December. We were talking this evening about the different restaurants the Pearl has and how nice the ship looks. Have an aft cabin great OBC better then RCL ever gave us. Looking forward to Freestyle which I would not of said over a year ago and actually was the main reason I did not want to try NCL but we have changed as well when we started trying My Time Dining on RCL and found how much we enjoyed it so now I am looking forward to the freestyle experience.

I find myself reading the NCL board more and reading the RCL board less over the last couple of months. I still like RCL but it is no longer our cruise line of choice there are just to many other lines to experience. We both are looking forward to our upcoming cruise I am now glad we made the choice to cruise on NCL Pearl. Thanks to all the great reviews I read on here it really helped.

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I think you've made a very wise choice!! Being here on the boards is going to help you immeasurably, too. There are a few tricks you can learn from us 'Norweenies' (I had no idea I was one - thanks Gram!)

One of the most important things to keep in mind with Freestyle is that when dining, you have to remember you're not the only ones on the ship. I don't know when you're going in December, but if it's over Christmas or New Year's, you should be prepared to share the space with a lot of other passengers, so don't expect to walk into main dining the moment you want to go. Even in the less busy times, there can be a short wait (I've never experienced one myself, but I know they occur); in the busy times it can be longer, but the upside is that they'll give you a beeper and you can go hang out somewhere on a beautiful cruise ship. :)

you guys are the greatest and so welcoming the replies just continue to reinforce that we booked the right cruise line for us..Thanks so much for the replies and will do a review when we return and if I have any questions I will not hesitate to ask.

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I think you've made a very wise choice!! Being here on the boards is going to help you immeasurably, too. There are a few tricks you can learn from us 'Norweenies' (I had no idea I was one - thanks Gram!)

One of the most important things to keep in mind with Freestyle is that when dining, you have to remember you're not the only ones on the ship. I don't know when you're going in December, but if it's over Christmas or New Year's, you should be prepared to share the space with a lot of other passengers, so don't expect to walk into main dining the moment you want to go. Even in the less busy times, there can be a short wait (I've never experienced one myself, but I know they occur); in the busy times it can be longer, but the upside is that they'll give you a beeper and you can go hang out somewhere on a beautiful cruise ship. :)

We are going on December 12 never travel on holidays, thanks for the heads up but I do know we need to book our reservations a head of time just like any other restaurant I know the popular times will be filled up. I am eyeing Le Bistro as a must followed by Cagney's and Mambos. I am not much on the MDR on any cruise line and try to avoid them as much as I can so another reason NCL fits so well for us. And if we have to wait no problem as long as their is a lounge near by a cocktail or a glass of wine before dinner is a great way to pass the time.

I do have one question does NCL have a wine package? if so what is the cost.. Thanks so much for your advice

Archived