herculaneum

We will be in Naples in early October. We have previously been to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast on one cruise and went to Capri on the past (loved both of these tours which we did on our own) This time I woudl like to see herculaneum and perhaps the Museum in Naples but would also like to use the train for transportation to go to lunch any suggestions/

Taking the train to Herculanium is quite simply. It's actually the same train (Circumvesuviania Line) that goes to Pompeii....which is further down the line. Simply make your way to the Naples train station (25 min walk, short taxi, or local bus) buy your ticket, go down to the lower Circumvesuviania tracks and you are on your way. Get off at the Ercolano Scavi station from which you can walk the few blocks to the ruins. Since the ruins are right in the city of Ercolano, there are numerous restaurants and cafes within shouting distance of the ruins. The trains run about once every 30 min and you do not need anykind of reservations (they do not even take reservations).

Hank

HLitner, thank-you. In 2003, we went on our first med crusie on Brilliance and I did extensive research on these boards and used a number of recommendations, including your own and MVPBoynton. Over these past few years I have always enjoyed seeing familiar names and knowing who alwys had good recommendations. Nice to hear from you

Archived