The Oscar Gill House

crazycath

Does any one have pictures of the Oscar Gill House Bed & Breakfast? The pics on thier website wont open for me.

Thanks

Cathy

We did stay here, but I didn't take any photos. We liked our stay, but it was not our favorite B&B. We actually enjoyed the G Street B&B in Anchorage a bit more, and it was more reasonably priced. Both are in residential neighborhoods, with a short walk to downtown.

We did stay here, but I didn't take any photos. We liked our stay, but it was not our favorite B&B. We actually enjoyed the G Street B&B in Anchorage a bit more, and it was more reasonably priced. Both are in residential neighborhoods, with a short walk to downtown.

What about it was not your favorite?

Thanks

Cathy

What about it was not your favorite?

Thanks

Cathy

I think part of the problem was we had stayed at the West End Guest House in Vancouver at the beginning of our trip. It was our first B&B experience and it was quite a classy experience. Neither the Oscar Gill nor G Street were in the same category as the West End.

We found the breakfasts at the G Street to be better than those at the Oscar Gill. Now, at the Oscar Gill, they had different hosts throughout the summer, so I imagine some weeks the food might be better. I am not sure if the owner sets the menu, or the person hosting that week. The week we were there, the host was pleasant, but not very friendly. She seemed to just be doing her job and she didn't seem overly interested in helping her guests. When we arrived our first night, she didn't even introduce herself. I assumed she was the owner, but learned the next day from another guest, that she was not the owner. Depending who is hosting the week you are there it could be much different. At the G street, the owners also had someone else running it, but that person ran it the whole summer. She was very friendly and made good breakfasts. We stayed at the West End at the beginning of our stay and we stayed at the G Street at the end of our stay. If I were to go back to Anchorage, I wouldn't pay the higher price for the Oscar Gill. It is in a similar neighborhood to the G Street which is more reasonable. JMHO.

I think part of the problem was we had stayed at the West End Guest House in Vancouver at the beginning of our trip. It was our first B&B experience and it was quite a classy experience. Neither the Oscar Gill nor G Street were in the same category as the West End.

We found the breakfasts at the G Street to be better than those at the Oscar Gill. Now, at the Oscar Gill, they had different hosts throughout the summer, so I imagine some weeks the food might be better. I am not sure if the owner sets the menu, or the person hosting that week. The week we were there, the host was pleasant, but not very friendly. She seemed to just be doing her job and she didn't seem overly interested in helping her guests. When we arrived our first night, she didn't even introduce herself. I assumed she was the owner, but learned the next day from another guest, that she was not the owner. Depending who is hosting the week you are there it could be much different. At the G street, the owners also had someone else running it, but that person ran it the whole summer. She was very friendly and made good breakfasts. We stayed at the West End at the beginning of our stay and we stayed at the G Street at the end of our stay. If I were to go back to Anchorage, I wouldn't pay the higher price for the Oscar Gill. It is in a similar neighborhood to the G Street which is more reasonable. JMHO.

Thanks!

Cathy

Archived