Do you have a cruise tradition?

MellieInWI

I buy magnets for my son and miniature spoons for myself when we travel. Each one is a reminder of the trip we were on. Family and friends usually ask us to bring something back for them. I got a request from a guy at work for empty beer bottles. He knows we try local brands when in other countries and he wanted the bottles to add to his collection. Unique request and easy enough to grant.:D

1. breakfast on our balcony with bagel lox and cream cheese
  2. get a bunch of Carnival pens to last me until my next cruise
  3. Grab a DOD as we head on board and keep the cup
  4. take a cabin picture with DH hiding somewhere in the cabin
  5. get to the port early
  6. nap daily! otherwise we wont even make the night shows

snip..... I got a request from a guy at work for empty beer bottles. He knows we try local brands when in other countries and he wanted the bottles to add to his collection. Unique request and easy enough to grant.:D

Ok if you don´t need to bother with weight restrictions when flying. We sometimes just soak the labels off

Sandy in Spain

My husband and I will be first time cruisers on RCL Freedom of the Seas, Sept 2012 so we have no previous experiences and such, but we will and are doing what we always do.

We are big Vegas vacationers, but decided to do cruising next year as we have always wanted to in the 39 years we have been married so next year is it.

Let me say that we are not kids or people with children, but seniors but we do something very childlike and it is super fun for us. We start out with a folder labeled with the vacation name, then start hunting for deals and such, get hotel reservations and all that and put it all in a folder. We do all kinds of research together before we plan a vacation. The topper for us though is the childlike part. We sit in our living room and cut out colored construction paper and make chains for the vacation. The first year we went to Vegas we did it for every day, but we do it a year in advance so that took forever. From then on, we did a link equals one week. We hang them up and cut one link every week until there are no more links and throw away the last link as we leave for the airport, or in this case the car as we are driving to Port Canaveral. Nutty, huh? My husband is a 20 year retired Navy veteran and I used to do this for the kids so they could know when daddy would be home. I always hung the chain at the front door and the two kids took turns cutting a link off everyday. So as old codgers, we have continued the tradition with our vacations and get as excited as the kids to get rid of that very last link.

I love this! So sweet. Will definitely steal this idea for an upcoming cruise with our kiddos.

• 2 weeks later...

DW and I have a few;

Week before, DW gets a mani and pedi

Board early, get a DOD and roam.

Have champagne and strawberries on our aft bal for sailaway with our cruise tunes playing.

Buy a Hawaiian-type shirt in every port for cocktail time at home.

Last night of cruise, go to our favorite bar and have a bottle of Perrier Jouet (the flower bottle) or Dom Perrignon and toast another wonderful cruise while we talk about our next.

lots of great ideas here!!! I'm going on my second cruise in October. My first one was to Hawaii. I make jewelry and have some shells and nuts from Hawaii so I think I will get beads from each port to make jewelry with.

I didn't get beads at every port in Hawaii, I guess that means I will have to go again!!!

I'm also going to keep a detailed journal

lots of great ideas here!!! I'm going on my second cruise in October. My first one was to Hawaii. I make jewelry and have some shells and nuts from Hawaii so I think I will get beads from each port to make jewelry with.

I didn't get beads at every port in Hawaii, I guess that means I will have to go again!!!

I'm also going to keep a detailed journal

You can buy shells by the bag in Hawaii, I forget however which port that we got them.

john

• 1 month later...

Archived