Money in Iceland

I will be visiting Iceland on the Spirit this summer and have had no luck in obtaining Icelandic Krona. Nobody is selling them! Probably because the currency is so volatile and the current rate is almost 400 to the pound!

What do you think about taking Euros instead? And perhaps changing a small amount on the ship.

Dave

We visited 3 ports in Iceland and never took any currency.No need really.You can always go back on board for meals drinksetc.One passenger spent £16 on a bottle of beer and a coke.What's the point of that?

We went to Norway too and again saw no need to take any currency.Everything was so hideously expensive so why waste your hard earned money?

Sounds like we are cheapskates but everything we needed was on board and we are not into souvenirs or shopping.:)

I agree with Ozzimandius don't bother as everything is so expensive...just make sure you take a bottle of water and perhaps some fruit with you when you go ashore ....I just bought a little fluffy toy as a souvenir and paid for it with euros in Reykjavik and in Norway we used euros just for coffee and cake but its very expensive there as well!!

I am not worried about the expense it was the currency that bothered me, I am not likely to buy anything more than a coffee, postcards or a beer anyway.

I do like to have some currency available for a tip if a excursion guide proves to be good.

I am taking euros which should be welcomed.

Dave

Archived