Tulum/Xel-Ha Combo tour-Any input/experience

Seamo

Hi to everyone ...

Well , after a year we are off sailing from Tampa Bay on RCC's

Splendor O Seas for Christmas and New Years ... can't wait.

Reading all the great post and helpful info inputs here has us ..y..e..a..r..n..ing to go..

Big question tho, Anyone been to the Tulum/Xel-Ha Combo tour? Sounds like fun and a bit informational at the same time. We will truely appreciate any and all info.

AND THANKS a heap for all the post about tubing and other tours for Belize. We justed booked the X-treme tube because of what we've read here.

Thanks, Seamo

Anyone reading this going on the 24 th/// with us???

Yes, I did the tour last week with for my company. I work for the company that runs most of the tours in Cozumel and a big part of Mexico. It is alot to do in one short day to be honest. If would pick one or the other or Xcaret if you have the time in port. You have to decide if you want ruins or relaxing beach fun. And also take into consideration if there are kids...can't imagine any that would enjoy Tulum. Although it is one of my favorite places!

Hi Solita,!

Wow, sounds like you got the JOB ... Thanks for your speedy reply.

No kids with us AND we are probably more inclined to go with historical

and cultural enlightenment. Although we both love to swim and snorkle in great clean water. We will be there (cozumel) at 7 am and 3 pm is the departure .... so We appreciate what you are saying about the "quite a bit in such a short time". The RCC booklet says 8 hour tour ... so they must make the very last tender. Or it sounds from the book description like the we come by the ferry from Playa del Carmen DIRECT to the vessel? Is that so? The tour we are looking at is from RCC's book ... so we are thnking they must have some kind of understanding with this tour operator that whilst it is as long as the port stay ... the guest did book it from the RCC listing. So maybe they'll wait a bit for us..??.??

We are 60 & 56 but very physical and mobile and can handle the extra exertion. XCARET...?? Can you, would you mind saying a bit more about this.

Thanks , Seamo

I'd like to echo the comments about this excursion. We did this in 2001 on our first Western Caribbean swing and they definitely pack it in. At the time I wanted to maximize our shore time but with hindsight I'd probably just do one or the other. From what I remember:

1) The ferry ride over was hot and a real E-ticket. As close as I've ever been

to getting seasick. In comparison the ride back was in a large air-conditioned ferry and much more comfortable. Still about 35 minutes each way.

2) You walk through a small shopping district at Playa Del Carmen and directly onto buses. Except for one 15 roadside stop (tourist place with drinks, snack, etc.) it was a pretty boring ride (about 1.5 hours). It 's not that the guide was bad or anything, but on our trip he made it obvious it was just his job and he was ready to head home immediately after our trip.

3) Tulum is only about 90 minutes total. You get a guided part and then get to free-lance. Great picture postcard stuff to capture on film. Highlight of the day for sure!

4) You then backtrack about half way back to Xel Ha. Beautiful natural scenery. I swam while my DW enjoyed the Mexican buffet (extra charge, $16 I think). The only funny part was the waitress gave her back change in Mexican money (which I hear is common) and she had to convince her to give the change back in American money. We spent almost two hours there.

You are then taken back to Playa Del Carmen and ferried back to the ship. I have a photo of my DW crashed out from exhaustion (on the AC ferry) from the eight hour day.

You will be the first ones to leave and the very last ones to return. The ship literally was sailing away 15 minutes after we boarded. The ONE main advantage of an RCI excursion is they will wait for you though.

-----------------------------

As one final note, this spring we are returning to Cozumel and just going for the local beach. While the Mayan ruins are great we have already done it and they are so many other options in Cozumel.

Archived