Renting an apartment for 2 nights in Rome cheaper & better than a hotel?

I guess I just do those things naturally... I try to shop in local markets and eat in restaurants that have a good local reputation (I often go armed with suggestions from the Slow Travel website). I never eat meals in the hotel I'm staying at, with the exception of breakfast.

If you do all that it's terrific. But there is just somthing special about living among the locals and frankly it's cheaper:-)

If you do all that it's terrific. But there is just somthing special about living among the locals and frankly it's cheaper:-)

It's not always cheaper; not when you travel solo as I frequently do. European hotels usually offer a "single" room rate that's usually pretty decent; I haven't yet found an apartment for the price I can get one of these rooms, at least not one in the same area. For example, last time I was in Rome I stayed at a hotel directly across from the Forum for 90 euro/night including breakfast -- plus they offered a 10% discount if you paid in cash. Since I was going to be there for a week, I did look at apartments in the area (near Colosseum) and couldn't find anything that reasonable for that kind of location.....keeping in mind that I wanted to be in a location where there were plenty of others around. I don't feel Rome is dangerous -- not at all -- but when you are a solo woman traveler, you don't particularly want to be walking around at midnight down dark, deserted streets either.

It's not always cheaper; not when you travel solo as I frequently do. European hotels usually offer a "single" room rate that's usually pretty decent; I haven't yet found an apartment for the price I can get one of these rooms, at least not one in the same area. For example, last time I was in Rome I stayed at a hotel directly across from the Forum for 90 euro/night including breakfast -- plus they offered a 10% discount if you paid in cash. Since I was going to be there for a week, I did look at apartments in the area (near Colosseum) and couldn't find anything that reasonable for that kind of location.....keeping in mind that I wanted to be in a location where there were plenty of others around. I don't feel Rome is dangerous -- not at all -- but when you are a solo woman traveler, you don't particularly want to be walking around at midnight down dark, deserted streets either.

Just checked cyberrentals.......... 13 studios in Rome historic district.

These are all dollars - not euros. Nice ones too ! Especially the one in Piazza Navona and the one near the Forum. Just a sample.

One is located 200 meters from Forum $ 110. per night.

One is located in Piazza della Minerva - right behind Pantheon - $124.00 per night.

One is located near Piazza Navona (one of your favorite areas) $99 per night

:D

Just checked cyberrentals.......... 13 studios in Rome historic district.

These are all dollars - not euros. Nice ones too ! Especially the one in Piazza Navona and the one near the Forum. Just a sample.

One is located 200 meters from Forum $ 110. per night.

One is located in Piazza della Minerva - right behind Pantheon - $124.00 per night.

One is located near Piazza Navona (one of your favorite areas) $99 per night

:D

Trust me, I've looked at a lot of these and considered them. Particularly these two:

http://www.cyberrentals.com/rental/p172428

http://www.cyberrentals.com/rental/p152968

If I were to do an apartment, I'd have to have a terrace or great views. :D

However, by the time you add in the cleaning fee and whatever breakfast may cost, I still seem to come out ahead in a hotel.

Don't know if I mentioned this before, but all I need is a small studio apartment. It will just be me and my wife.

And I just extended my Paris post-cruise trip from 3 nights to 4, so I'm absolutely going to look into this for Paris as a cheaper hotel alternative.

Still not convinced about Rome (only 2 nights), but am still going to compare prices and options.

To those who said renting an apartment was a better value only for larger groups, are you talking about renting a 1+ bedroom apartment vs. a much simpler studio apartment? (which would be more like a hotel "efficiency").

Don't know if I mentioned this before, but all I need is a small studio apartment. It will just be me and my wife.

And I just extended my Paris post-cruise trip from 3 nights to 4, so I'm absolutely going to look into this for Paris as a cheaper hotel alternative.

Still not convinced about Rome (only 2 nights), but am still going to compare prices and options.

To those who said renting an apartment was a better value only for larger groups, are you talking about renting a 1+ bedroom apartment vs. a much simpler studio apartment? (which would be more like a hotel "efficiency").

I've not ever looked into apartments in Paris, but I would imagine that a studio apt would be comparable to, and perhaps less than, a nice double room. Just make sure you map the actual location. Many of the apts listed for Rome are fond of saying "near the Colloseum" or "just steps from the Pantheon" when they are, in fact, some distance away!

I'm sure you'll be able to make your own comparisons with a little research -- maybe you can post back here with your findings to help others.

We have stayed in efficiency apartments in Paris and loved the experience. We are staying for three nights in an efficiency in Florence next April. Not only have we saved a lot of money but we found it fun to compose a few meals at area markets. We use VRBO and have never had a problem. For the money we are saving on lodging in Florence next year, we are able to take the 3 day cooking class that I have always wanted to take.

Archived