Cozumel taxi..$50????

Stvandon

I just read a post that said a taxi for 6 to go 4 miles was $50..is this possible. Wow..I though booking a tour independently would save me $$$, but sounds like the taxi is going to neutralize that savings. Why so much..just because they can? We have to take a taxi to La Caleta pier, about 10 minutes to get to our tour with Eagle Ray Divers...guess I should have booked with a guide that had pick-up service. Can anyone verify this cab rate?

I just read a post that said a taxi for 6 to go 4 miles was $50..is this possible. Wow..I though booking a tour independently would save me $$$, but sounds like the taxi is going to neutralize that savings. Why so much..just because they can? We have to take a taxi to La Caleta pier, about 10 minutes to get to our tour with Eagle Ray Divers...guess I should have booked with a guide that had pick-up service. Can anyone verify this cab rate?
Sounds like someone was ripped off, the cab fare should have been around $10-$12

I just read a post that said a taxi for 6 to go 4 miles was $50..is this possible. ?
Just possibly this was quoted in pesos ? The "$" sign is also the leading indicator for pesos. At a $11 pesos / $1 USD exchange rate, $50 Pesos would equate to a little less than $5 USD !

I think I paid $5 + tip to get to La Caleta for Eagle Ray last September. The driver took me right to the boat. The rates are posted by the taxi stand at the pier.

Let me show you how that fare was calculated. First of all, the thread stated that it was round trip. Here's the quote from brianinidaho's thread:

"To take 6 of us about 4 miles to a beach and then return was over $50!"

The taxi driver figured six adults could not fit into one car. For each taxi, it costs $12 to go to Paradise Beach or San Francisco, for up to 4 passengers, from the Puerta Maya pier. This is the pier that Brian's ship, the Miracle, docked at. So 2 taxis is $24, and another $24 to come back. That's where the $50 came from.

As far as tipping taxi drivers, here's what I would do. If your driver was pleasant and informative and drove at a safe speed, by all means tip. If not, a tip is not necessary. The fares in Cozumel are high enough.

Hope that allays some taxi fears!

Everyone is right, someone was ripped off. We have been to Cozumel four times in the last four years and have never payed more than 5 to 15 for a cab ride.

Always asked what the fare is before getting into the taxi.

msts

The base fare from Puerta Maya to Caleta should be $45 pesos. That is for two people. There is a surcharge of 10 pesos per extra person over 2 people. So four people going to caleta from Puerta Maya or the International pier would be $65 pesos.

You would not be able to find a dive shop that offers transportation because it is not permitted. The taxi union has control over transporting tourists.

The taxi prices are fixed, and posted at the taxi "area" near the port. For example, to Chankanaab was $12 per taxi when we went. We did, however, confirm the fare before getting into the taxi.

I paid whatever was posted, so maybe it was $4. Anyway, the fare to the marina is listed (in US $) - at least at the Puerta Maya taxi stand.

We had an unfortunate experience with a cab in Cozumel. We knew that the rate was $10 from the ship to Chankanaab Park - getting there was fine. On the way back we got into a larger cab to share with another couple. When we tried to pay the driver $10 and get out he claimed that it was $20 as it was a larger cab. He locked us in the cab and wouldn't let us out untill we paid even though we were calling for the police. Unfortunately there was little we could do apart from pay up. So a warning to all - check the price before you get in. Despite web sites like http://www.cozumelinsider.com/transportation/ displaying the fares, it proves that there are still some drivers around who are looking out to rip you off. It left a sour memory of the place.

Any idea on what the cab fare would be from Paradise Beach to a shopping area? Or if a shopping area is in walking distance? We want to go to Paradise Beach in the morning and do some shopping in the afternoon.

Archived