QV: Princess Grill Questions

Queenvee

I've searched various web sites and gotten bits of information, but since this site seems to have the most active, helpful members, I thought this would be a good source of definitive answers.

I'm Diamond level on Cunard but as a single traveller, have always stayed in Britannia accommodations (paying the single supplement and doing 2 voyages a year is enough $!) However, for the upcoming July 7th trip, I've been upgraded to P1. Never having eaten in a Grills restaurant, I have some questions....

1) Are people "assigned" to tables? In other words, if I had requested a table of 8 in Britannia, will I be added to a table in PG? Or, can I request a table by myself? (My sense is that many of the PG patrons prefer to dine with their companions or travelling friends, rather than being put together at a table but I could be totally wrong.)

2) For breakfast and lunch in the PG, is "open seating" the rule? whereby strangers are herded to group tables? or, can I ask for a table by myself? (am not picky about it being the same table # for every meal, I just like solitude in the morning and eat quickly at lunch)

3) Are daily menus posted outside the PG? If I want to request a special item for the following night (say, wiener schnitzel w/spaetzle or pasta carbonara), can that be done?

4) Are breakfast and lunch available on the outdoor Terrace? (Am hoping the northern climes will be weather-friendly.)

Other, non-restaurant questions:

5) Not that I need one, but do PG suites have a butler?

6) I love having a small bowl of munchies (pretzels) in my cabin, to snack on late at night...is this something I could request from my steward for each night?

7) Does Cunard typically provide flowers in PG suites?

Whew - think that's it!! I'm very self-sufficient and have sailed on Cunard enough times that I know "the lay of the land", but the Grills is something new for me, so appreciate any responses from those who have done PG before! Thanks in advance.

I've searched various web sites and gotten bits of information, but since this site seems to have the most active, helpful members, I thought this would be a good source of definitive answers.

I'm Diamond level on Cunard but as a single traveller, have always stayed in Britannia accommodations (paying the single supplement and doing 2 voyages a year is enough $!) However, for the upcoming July 7th trip, I've been upgraded to P1. Never having eaten in a Grills restaurant, I have some questions....

1) Are people "assigned" to tables? In other words, if I had requested a table of 8 in Britannia, will I be added to a table in PG? Or, can I request a table by myself? (My sense is that many of the PG patrons prefer to dine with their companions or travelling friends, rather than being put together at a table but I could be totally wrong.) Yes, you are assigned a table. You may request a table larger than your group (of 1) or just for yourself. You should confirm with Cunard (through TA, if applicable) your dining request now that you have been upgraded (lucky you!).

2) For breakfast and lunch in the PG, is "open seating" the rule? whereby strangers are herded to group tables? or, can I ask for a table by myself? (am not picky about it being the same table # for every meal, I just like solitude in the morning and eat quickly at lunch) You will dine at your assigned table for all meals.

3) Are daily menus posted outside the PG? If I want to request a special item for the following night (say, wiener schnitzel w/spaetzle or pasta carbonara), can that be done? Menus are posted daily. You may request (in advance, usually the evening before) special items. If they have the ingredients, they should be happy to oblige.

4) Are breakfast and lunch available on the outdoor Terrace? (Am hoping the northern climes will be weather-friendly.) I will have to defer, as we have not yet been PG on QV, but it is my understanding that yes, weather permitting, meals can be taken in the courtyard.

Other, non-restaurant questions:

5) Not that I need one, but do PG suites have a butler? No.

6) I love having a small bowl of munchies (pretzels) in my cabin, to snack on late at night...is this something I could request from my steward for each night? You could certainly ask, or order from room service (I don't recall if they have such snacks...)

7) Does Cunard typically provide flowers in PG suites? I recall an orchid blossom in a vase, nothing more.

Whew - think that's it!! I'm very self-sufficient and have sailed on Cunard enough times that I know "the lay of the land", but the Grills is something new for me, so appreciate any responses from those who have done PG before! Thanks in advance.

See responses above in red.

Yes grill passengers can eat in the courtyard on nice days.

The day's menus are normally delivered to your cabin before 10am each morning.

The snacks we got in a QG cabin for a small cocktail party were mixed nuts and potato chips.

The senior MD on board is Andrew Nelder, if you have any concerns about your table, l would suggest you pop up to the grills after boarding and have a word with him, he is most helpful.

Hope you have a lovely time.

Jackie :)

Congratulations on the upgrade. I would think they would do that all the time for you--given that diamond status. Take a look at a photo album that Safarigirl sent me in a reply to a post regarding Princess Grill Table Map for QV. It shows several pictures of the grill cabin and restaurant among other things. Others have answered your questions for the most part. I don't think the flowers (in the photo) are normal except for the orchid. (The orchid is what you usually get on the QM II.) Tell them in advance you would like some flowers--maybe you'll get them.:) I have made all sorts of special requests and they are usually pretty responsive and I'm only a gold level member.

Have a great trip.

Archived