Question about GTY and assigned stateroom

Hi

We have a OV GTY booking for Legend of the seas out of Rome 31. July. Today we got assigned a stateroom we are really happy with (category H, deck 3), as we figured we would get one of the few staterooms with a porthole on deck 2 :)

So we are wondering if this cabin is "set in stone" for us now if we take no action? Or can we be assigned a different category/stateroom?

Arlendius

It is not set in stone until you board the ship. I have had a GTY assigned and changed myself. Fortunately in my case it turned out to be an upgrade!

Hmm oki, but does it go both ways? Can you be upgraded and downgraded when you have been assigned a stateroom? I would of course be happy for a upgrade!

Arlendius

Hmm oki, but does it go both ways? Can you be upgraded and downgraded when you have been assigned a stateroom? I would of course be happy for a upgrade!

Arlendius

My understanding is they reserve the right to put you in any stateroom in the category you booked or higher, so technically they could downgrade someone if the initial placement was an upgrade. I have not personally heard of this happening to anybody (whereas I have heard of people other than myself being switched to an upgraded stateroom after an initial assignment). I would surmise that it is rare that someone would be downgraded after an initial assigment, but yet it would be within the rules for the cruise line to do so.

Arlendius

You will not be downgraded. In your case you booked an oceanview category so you are gty an oceanview or maybe better. Once the cabin is assigned by the cruise line you can't call back to change. Usually it is rare but there have been times at the pier you get another stateroom in the same category or an upgrade. It happened to me once on Carnival went from an inside to a balcony. But this is rare.

Archived