Difference Between Cabin Categories?

rez4jc

I am going to book a cruise aboard the Royal Clipper Jan. 30- Feb. 6, 2010. Is there much difference between cabin categories 2-5?

Also, anyone have any experience flying to Barbados from the US? I know there are direct flights from Miami, JFK and Charlotte. Anywhere else? We are in Phoenix, so we want to use air miles to get to an airport with direct flights to Barbados, preferably the southern states, as to minimize the chances of getting snow/ice delays.

My wife and I are going on Star Clipper out of Barbados in Nov. We booked a Cat 6 inside cabin. This is our first SC cruise but have been on 4 Windjammer cruises. On the WJ, we have tried all the categories (except the owners suite) and we find there is really not much difference other than bragging rights and more room. You get the same treatment in Cat 1 or Cat 6. We've have rooms with port holes and it's not all that great. Actually sometimes, it's worse watching the water slosh against the window if you get seasick easy. We plan on spending our time on the deck sunning ourselves and meeting people from all over the world and not sitting in our cabin. We just use our cabin to sleep and clean up.

For flights, I'd suggest using Orbitz.com and find what flights are available to Barbados from your city and it gives you prices so you have an idea.

Anyway, good luck,

Rich in MA

On the cruise critic page there is an option for cruise air. Whatever question you have, you can ask here. There are some very knowledgeable people over there, and from what I have read, if they don't know, then it is not possible.

The same goes for ports. Loads of information can be found in the option ports of call. Open some and you will be amazed.

I cannot comment on cabin choice since I have only been in cat. 1.

Hope this all helps.

If you like cooking you can buy a lot of fresh spices on the islands. Vanilla pods, nutmeg, you name it, you can buy it. Especially if you go away from the harbour and into the small villages, plenty choices.

Have a nice cruise, I am sure you will.

Pralientje

I am going to book a cruise aboard the Royal Clipper Jan. 30- Feb. 6, 2010. Is there much difference between cabin categories 2-5?

Also, anyone have any experience flying to Barbados from the US? I know there are direct flights from Miami, JFK and Charlotte. Anywhere else? We are in Phoenix, so we want to use air miles to get to an airport with direct flights to Barbados, preferably the southern states, as to minimize the chances of getting snow/ice delays.

Category 2-5 cabins have the same basic amenities. Primary difference is location (vs. center of motion) and size/shape as dictated by the hull & interior passageways. We were in cabin 234 and were quite pleased at the size and configuration. This is a sailing vessels and it does rock `n roll when mother nature dictates.

There is a limited number of "ports of entry" to fly from and even fewer airlines that connect to Barbados. I think American has daily service and Delta has weekend flights. I believe you can get a direct flight out of Atlanta too. Same day travel from Chicago would have had us arrive in Barbados around 11 PM so we spent the night in Miami to get better options for our final flight into Barbados. (Priceline is my friend)

Checkin starts at 1600 (and not a minute before). You walk your bags from the terminal to the ship when finished with all the paperwork. A "welcome snack" is served from 1600-1800 in the tropical bar with dinner at 1930.

All shipboard expenses (including excursions) are priced in euros. The dining room staff and cabin stewards do not receive a salary. They work for tips. The suggested amount is 8 euros per passenger per day. Tips can be added to your bill (they will give you a form) or placed in an envelope and dropped in the gratuity box located at the "Sloop Shop".

Your return to Barbados will be around 0600 with all passengers off the ship no later than 1000.

Royal Clipper is a great way to meet new people with language being the only barrier.

Enjoy!

I recently returned for 2 weeks on the Star Clipper (May 16-30, 2009). We were in a Cat 2 cabin. People in the Cat 6 cabins stated they would not book a cat 6 (inside) again. Very small. Also the Cat 5 cabins had a raised double bed. One side of the double beds in in Cat 5-1 was against the wall. People in the Cat 5 had to climb a ladder to get in the bed.

Also is you were against the wall you would have to climb over the other person.

Check out the layout and fine print on the cabin descriptions of the cabins.

Hopefully you will get replies from someone that has sailed on the Royal Clipper.

MSEm

Archived