Tulum from Cozumel or Cancun?

bwellen

Background info. and then my questions...

We are on the NCL Dream the 2nd week in Jan. 2005 and are stopping in this order: Cozumel (10AM-7PM), Roatan (12PM-7PM), Belize (7AM-5PM), and Cancun (9AM-5PM).

On this cruise, we definitely want to see some ruins and do some snorkeling. We already booked a Beach and Zipline Canopy Tour in Roatan. We'd prefer to take the ships tours.

It looks like Tulum may be the best Mayan Ruin to visit (not enough time for Chicktin Itza (sp). We have two Tulum options for the same price. One leaves from Cancun (6 hours) and the other from Cozumel (8 hours).

My questions:

1. Is Tulum worth taking up an entire shore day or is there a shorter tour on one of the other islands where we could see enough to feel like we've experienced Mayan ruins?

2. If we went with the Tulum tour, which would be better to take it from--Cancun or Cozumel. In other words, which island would have something that shouldn't be missed (in place of the Tulum tour) more than the other. I hope that makes sense...??!!

3. We've heard that ships sometimes can't go to Cancun due to sea conditions (like there's a 50-50 chance we won't get to Cancun). Is this true? If so, our answer to #2 is easy to conclude.

Thanks!!!

Tulum is a great site. Does either tour combine Tulum with another stop? A lot of the Tulum tours from Cozumel include a stop at Xel-Ha. Cozumel has great beaches, shopping and party places. Can you fill those needs at other stops? If the answer is yes to those questions, I would take the Cozumel tour. Otherwise, do the shorter Cancun version and have fun all day in Coz.

Ron

Tulum is a great site. Does either tour combine Tulum with another stop? A lot of the Tulum tours from Cozumel include a stop at Xel-Ha. Cozumel has great beaches, shopping and party places. Can you fill those needs at other stops? If the answer is yes to those questions, I would take the Cozumel tour. Otherwise, do the shorter Cancun version and have fun all day in Coz.

Ron

It is the exact same tour for Cozumel and Cancun. The Cozumel tour is just longer due to distance. It includes only Tulum (not Xel-Ha).

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were on the Sea last January, and booked Tulum from Cozumel for the very reason the above poster stated. The ships frequently have trouble with the Cancun stop being cancelled, and we didn't want to miss Tulum.

It may be a longer trip from Cozumel, but you will have a much higher success rate of stopping at Cozumel than you will be Cancun. The Tulum excursion was one of our two favorite on our cruise, and we would have been very disappointed to miss it.

Archived