Getting Wine onboard a HAL Cruise

noid2

Leave tommorow for SB Alaskan land/cruise tour. What is the most economical or creative way to beat the system. How do you get more than one bottle per person onboard?

Is the $120 for 4-bottles or pre-paid drink cards the best way to go and yes I am a bit of a wine snob. Don't want to pay 4x the price for everyday drinking wine and I won't pay $200 for bottle of Silver (over) Oaked Alexander Valley, even if they carry it.

All suggestions and advice is welcome from other winos.

You're in luck - on HAL, you don't HAVE to "beat the system". Holland America freely allows you to take unlimited wine aboard. Yup - unlimited, and they mean it. On our last cruise, when we were hosting sailaway for 50 - 60, we brought on 2 - 3 cases with a hand truck. Not a blink.

No charge to drink in your cabin. If you bring a bottle to the dining room, they're supposed to charge a $18 corkage fee. Every time I cruise HAL, I'm told they really, really are going to enforce this now. Never been charged. Maybe because I tip the sommelier well, and allow him to taste our wine?

So, now all you have to figure out is where you're going to get the wine. Southbound from Seward? Maybe you should post a fresh thread.

From HAL site:

"Bringing Alcoholic Beverages Onboard

Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship."

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/ShipboardLife.action?contentMenu=Onboard%20Policies&contentSubMenu=Bringing%20Alcoholic%20Beverages%20Onboard

So, wine and champagne are still "exceptions", and can be brought aboard.

If you doubt me, try the HAL board - no news about a change there, and this would be BIG news!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

Archived