Has anyone been on the MS Neptune on the Nile?

shadowdiver

Hi,

Just reading the threads here and noted that there is discussion about flying in the night before and looking at booking air yourself.

#1 We are booked for February, I live in Ohio, New York can be in the middle of a giant snowstorm, leaving caution to the wind and booking a flight out the day before and staying at the airport. Essentially, it is all a crap shoot!

#2 Gate 1 air inclusive is a very good deal! It not only handles the air to and from Egypt, but also the transfers to and from the airports and all intra-Egypt air. Golly that's a good deal.

Keep on researchin'.

I found some really good info on Tripadvisor too. You might want to hit Egypt Gate 1 on the search and it was >60 pages! So many good ideas and helpful info, just like this website.

Blessings!

Suzie

I understand that Gate1 air includes air to/from the gateway and transfers to/from the original/final hotel. I did not understand that it also included intra-Egypt flights.

Guess I didn't read all of the thread, sorry bout that! LOL. You two seem to have your thinkin' caps on. It's a lot of work to plan, isn't it? I thought you were going in winter, October shouldn't be too bad but you are correct about the delays! My oh my. I fear the "imprisoned on the runway" thing.

Hey J, you mentioned that you didn't think it included intrao-Egypt air, if you buy the whole package, not just the land travel, the air is included along with the transfers and motorcoach to Hurghada. A very nice inclusion.

Later,

Suzie

I understand that Gate1 air includes air to/from the gateway and transfers to/from the original/final hotel. I did not understand that it also included intra-Egypt flights.

Yep, with the land and air package it is ALL included - which makes it a very very economical package :)

We are upgrading our cabin/hotel category though.

Suzie, will come back and post a review in mid-November for ya'

Texan,

That would be fabulous!!! This board was so helpful when I was planning my Baltic trip last year and river cruising in Egypt has been.......well, let's say a bit more challenging. So any and all info is welcomed.

We thought about upgrading our cabin but heard that at night they all lock onto one another and you don't have much of a view anyway. Still thinkin' bout it though.

Have fun planning! Did you go to the TripAdvisor website? Type in Gate 1 Egypt and there are about 65 pages of stuff.

Also, on this website, Seafun did a fantastic job (wishing I could write like that) on his trip.

Blessings!

Suzie:D

Texan,

That would be fabulous!!! This board was so helpful when I was planning my Baltic trip last year and river cruising in Egypt has been.......well, let's say a bit more challenging. So any and all info is welcomed.

We thought about upgrading our cabin but heard that at night they all lock onto one another and you don't have much of a view anyway. Still thinkin' bout it though.

Have fun planning! Did you go to the TripAdvisor website? Type in Gate 1 Egypt and there are about 65 pages of stuff.

Also, on this website, Seafun did a fantastic job (wishing I could write like that) on his trip.

Blessings!

Suzie:D

For the price update your ship's cabin. On our ship, the Neptune, there was cabins "A", "B" and "C" cabins.

Most rooms are the same, except suites, but the floor levels is what you are getting. I read as I was researching for our trip that the "A" level sometimes gets a smell.

"A" was at the water line and "B" was in the middle. "C" cabins were the suites.

For the price at least get a "B" cabin.

Don

For the price update your ship's cabin. On our ship, the Neptune, there was cabins "A", "B" and "C" cabins.

Most rooms are the same, except suites, but the floor levels is what you are getting. I read as I was researching for our trip that the "A" level sometimes gets a smell.

"A" was at the water line and "B" was in the middle. "C" cabins were the suites.

For the price at least get a "B" cabin.

Don

Looking at the brochure right now - it is just the opposite ..... C is the cheapest cabin....at water line......B is $ 100.pp more and in the middle.......A is $ 200.pp more and on the top and then Suites are $ 550.00 more pp and well, a suite - just bigger There are single cabins (for just one person) and then two twin beds or one king bed. So all cabins same size but bed configued differently.

Our TA (a really good friend) has spoken with Gate 1 extensively......she said there is no reason to get a suite for that much more and I agree ......but an A cabin is nice as the views are much better as up higher.

We are booking an A cabin (hope to get 302)

Steph: my sister just came to visit and I havent had a chance to research much lately........ will be back on it soon tho.

Hello all,

I thought I had lost you guys - I was checking the other board but this one is going strong! I'm thinking about going to NY a day early as well. I'm going in May so weather won't be an issue and so far out of Cincinnati, the flights are usually on-time but we only have 2 direct flights one that gets to NY around noon and the other around 4pm and I don't want to take a chance that if something happens, I may not be able to get there in time for the 6:30 flight even though I have 2 shots at it.

I've been checking hotels and it seems that I can get something close to airport and decent for about $150.00, hotels are pretty expensive no matter where you are in NY and you do have to be careful about the quality. As I check out hotels, I'll post any good deals I find for anyone else that is looking at hotels.

Ladies let's talk shoes, in my research I've heard that the streets are dirty, dusty, and of course we'll be touring in the desert and rough terrain so it sounds like a light hiking shoe and socks might be in order and since it sounds like the shoes will get dirty you probably don't want to take anything that shows dirt or anything that you don't want to get dirty, I want to pack as few things as possible and will likely have 1 pair that will be dedicated for touring.

Don, do you know if there are laundry facilities or laundry services available on board the river boat?

Well take care all, happy researching.

Jo Ann

Hello all,

I thought I had lost you guys - I was checking the other board but this one is going strong! I'm thinking about going to NY a day early as well. I'm going in May so weather won't be an issue and so far out of Cincinnati, the flights are usually on-time but we only have 2 direct flights one that gets to NY around noon and the other around 4pm and I don't want to take a chance that if something happens, I may not be able to get there in time for the 6:30 flight even though I have 2 shots at it.

I've been checking hotels and it seems that I can get something close to airport and decent for about $150.00, hotels are pretty expensive no matter where you are in NY and you do have to be careful about the quality. As I check out hotels, I'll post any good deals I find for anyone else that is looking at hotels.

Ladies let's talk shoes, in my research I've heard that the streets are dirty, dusty, and of course we'll be touring in the desert and rough terrain so it sounds like a light hiking shoe and socks might be in order and since it sounds like the shoes will get dirty you probably don't want to take anything that shows dirt or anything that you don't want to get dirty, I want to pack as few things as possible and will likely have 1 pair that will be dedicated for touring.

Don, do you know if there are laundry facilities or laundry services available on board the river boat?

Jo Ann

Hi Jo Ann,

I'll probably take three pairs maybe four? One pair of flip flops for the pool, one pair of either comfortable, older gym shoes or a hiking shoe for the walking around and one pair of cute sandals for the boat. We went on a safari last year to Kenya and Tanzania and we couldn't pack much there either. I have a feeling the sand/dirt is going to be along the same lines in Egypt. We also each had a pair of pants that zip off from long pants to shorts for all the hiking around.

This board has been so great for help. We're flying out of Cinci as well. We haven't booked that flight but we're going in a day early too. I always get nervous I won't make the longer leg. We booked our air through Gate 1 for NYC to Cairo and all intra flights, but will probably book our air from home to NY on our own.

Steph

Jo Ann

Yes there is laundry service on board the ship. BUT my wife said it was eztremely expensive. A pair of men's brief was $3.50.

Don

Good morning....... lots of rain for us as another "tropical mess" is at work in the Gulf of Mexico. But not a big mess (ie: hurricane) so not going to complain about some rain !

I am definately planning on using the laundry aboard the ship. I am, however, going to plan our wardrobe so only pants/shirts are done. I will mix and match and send out a "load" 1/2 way thru the trip. I realize it is expensive but doesnt sound a whole lot more than on a large cruiseline ship, and we usually do send out some while on longer trips (Med cruises) so will just figure $100.00 into the budget. Since we can only take 1 suitcase per person (no exceptions) it seems the only solution for me as I am not doing tons of laundry in the sink :eek:

We are flying into NY the day before (Oct 27th) and staying near JFK. Even though the NY-Cairo flight doesnt leave until 6:30 pm I was told to check in 3 HOURS before = 3:30 pm. So for ease and peace of mind (instead of worrying about flight delays etc) this works for us. Again, just figure the cost into the budget :D AND, for us it looks like we will also stay one night in NY on the return end. The flight gets in from Cairo at 3:15 pm and then info says allow 2 hours minimum to get thru customs and immigration (TA says especially when coming from Egypt !) ...... then to check in and recheck luggage for another flight you need 1-2 hours and no flights work for us to get us all the way home. We could fly late flight to Houston but then have to spend the night there. So figured why kill ourselves after long flight...... I hate doing that at the end of a wonderful trip !

OOOO now to the shoe issue: I am a bad bad girl when it comes to taking too many shoes. Know I can't do that this time tho...... will have to figure that one out. I have hiking shoes but they are bulky and heavy - too much room in suitcase. Will have to research this one and find something better. Otherwise it is sandals for me. Glad we don't have to worry about formal wear tho !

So excited to have a cruisecritic "friend" on the same trip with us - Steph. Our best friends passed on this trip...... oh well. We can't wait !

Hi All,

As far as shoes, I have found that everyone who blogs says "take comfie shoes". I found a pair of inexpensive (ebay) Dr. Scholl's rocker walker type mary janes with a velcro strap and those gellin' thingies. The toe is enclosed as this is also recommended. Socks...........yep. Ok, so we risk looking like schlumps, but our feet will love us if we take comfie shoes and then we can do the sandals and flip flops on the boat. I hear it is really dirty/sandy.

On to hotels at JFK, my gf that I am traveling with tells me that she found a Comfort Inn at JFK that has a free shuttle and continental breakfast for about $110. Not too shabby. I say, let's be rested and lovely for the grueling flight, right?

As for laundry....it does make sense to budget for this as I plan on using it too to keep the old suitcase down to a minimum (have to make room for shoes and souvenirs). I usually take a bit of soap (shampoo works too) and wash my own undies, socks and some washable blouses. I do hear that there is no shampoo on the boat. May opt to buy it in Cairo to save on the weight going out. I hear that they don't make a fuss at the Cairo airport going to Luxor, so buying a bottle of shampoo is cheap and easy.

Talk to you all soon. Remember this...............OH..........IO. LOL.

Suzie

The shoes sound about right, I'm thinking the same number and purpose. I'm doing the same with the air to and from NY. I didn't price Gate 1's rate but I assume that it would be cheaper to do it on my own and Delta appears to be the only airline with direct flights to NY.

Suzie the hotel sounds like a good deal especially with a shuttle because cab fare can be scary not to mention the ride :-).

Well keep all the tips coming, BTW - I read on one forum that dark sunglasses are a good idea because making eye contact with men especially if you a single or unaccompanied by a male. This way, if you do ( of course it would never be intentional) it would be hard to tell with dark glasses.

Talk to everyone later,

Jo Ann

We have decided to do our own airfare from Corpus Christi to NY. Gate 1 only has add-on air from Houston to NY so we would still have to get from Corpus to Houston. Continental can take us all the way CC-Houston-NY (LaGuardia) for a bit more than Gate 1 from Houston. Egypt Air will leave from JFK but it is only 12 miles from one to the other.

Hotels - my TA has warned me to be VERY VERY careful of the hotels around either airport. Rough areas. We always stay in Manhattan so was news to me. If you plan on going from airport to hotel and back without going out anywhere you should be ok. She is going to look into it and recommend one for us. We told her clean, convenient and safe. Will let you know what she comes up with.

As far as cabs in NY - we found them to be reasonable ..... not cheap but reasonable.

Saw my TA yesterday at a luncheon.......she gave me our paperwork for our trip. Now it really feels R-E-A-L !!!!! OMG - can't wait !

Whooo - that 6:00 am flight from Cairo to Luxor doesnt particularly look appealing though :rolleyes: Sounds like that will be an early morning and so will the flight to Abu Simbel...... they get you up at like 3:30 in the morning..... around our house we call that "dark-thirty" :D Oh well, you do what ya' gotta do.

Dark-thirty...................is that anything like beer-thirty or wine-thirty?

Hope you have a great trip and don't forget about us inquiring minds, who want to know all of the details!

Blessings,

Suzie

:p

Not familiar with beer-thirty or wine-thirty ????? :o

DH sometimes has to drive to San Antonio or fly to Houston or Dallas early in the morning for depositions/hearings etc...... so he has to get up at 5:00 am or such........ when it is still dark ! So I tell him to set the alarm for "dark-thirty" HA HA.

Looking at docs - we upgraded to category A cabin.....but still says standard room with twin beds on hotels...... TA told me that when you upgrade cabin it automatically upgrades hotel rooms too. Need to ask her about that one.

We have never done a "tour" like this so all a new animal to me. Learning process :D

But it is funny, once you book a trip like this ~ seems that lots of people you talk to have done one and are willing to share ALL their experiences ;)

Have a great Sunday.

beer-thirty is similar to dark-thirty. It doesn't matter what time it is if it's still dark or you want a beer! LOL

You are right about booking and getting suggestions. That's why a TA is invaluable. They do all the leg work, for free and you reap the benefits.

I know you don't leave til October, but you will probably have lots of questions before you go. I used this site for questions about my Baltic cruise last year and was able to get touring groups together with the help of CC. That's why when we decided to do the Egypt trip, I checked this site for info about Nile cruises. Again, it hasn't failed me.

suzie

beer-thirty is similar to dark-thirty. It doesn't matter what time it is if it's still dark or you want a beer! LOL

You are right about booking and getting suggestions. That's why a TA is invaluable. They do all the leg work, for free and you reap the benefits.

I know you don't leave til October, but you will probably have lots of questions before you go. I used this site for questions about my Baltic cruise last year and was able to get touring groups together with the help of CC. That's why when we decided to do the Egypt trip, I checked this site for info about Nile cruises. Again, it hasn't failed me.

suzie

I normally don't use a TA, booking my own instead. But this is such a different type of trip for us and she is a good friend.

I have also found CC invaluable for research, planning and tour shares. But seems there isnt alot here for Nile cruises...... but a little is better than nuttin' :D

OK, I'm getting there.

Tour - booked

Flights to/from NY - booked (we booked our own thru Continental)

Excursions - booked

Hotel in NY (pre and post Egypt) - still working on it

We may stay somewhere besides Queens (near airport)....... reading stuff and don't like what I hear.

We get into LaGuardia 5:58 pm the day before....... need to be at JFK by 3:30 pm the next day (for 6:30 pm flight to Cairo)

This gives us one whole evening (nice dinner) and the morning + a bit to enjoy Manhattan........ need to discuss with dh and look around. Would have to spend a bit more for hotel and the taxi costs would go up......but this IS our 30th anniversary trip.... so what the heck. We'll see.

Have also been working on clothes - shoes etc. I do not like heat (I know - what am I doing going to Egypt) so plan to layer when I have to "cover up" in the larger cities with a lightweight long sleeve white shirt. I can wear this with all my slacks over a tank but also have 1 or 2 other longer sleeved tunic type tops too. Gosh, I hope I don't melt :o Shoes - have to start on that - just looking for one pair to do the sites in..... rest will be sandals.

So I am doing pretty good I think. Steph - do you do water sports? We are going to try and fit in a dive in the Red Sea while in Hurghada..... if not a dive then we will be snorkeling - ALOT. Got to fit in our snorkle gear - so less room in suitcase :eek: I am going to need one BIG suitcase !

OK, I'm getting there.

Tour - booked

Flights to/from NY - booked (we booked our own thru Continental)

Excursions - booked

Hotel in NY (pre and post Egypt) - still working on it

We may stay somewhere besides Queens (near airport)....... reading stuff and don't like what I hear.

We get into LaGuardia 5:58 pm the day before....... need to be at JFK by 3:30 pm the next day (for 6:30 pm flight to Cairo)

This gives us one whole evening (nice dinner) and the morning + a bit to enjoy Manhattan........ need to discuss with dh and look around. Would have to spend a bit more for hotel and the taxi costs would go up......but this IS our 30th anniversary trip.... so what the heck. We'll see.

Have also been working on clothes - shoes etc. I do not like heat (I know - what am I doing going to Egypt) so plan to layer when I have to "cover up" in the larger cities with a lightweight long sleeve white shirt. I can wear this with all my slacks over a tank but also have 1 or 2 other longer sleeved tunic type tops too. Gosh, I hope I don't melt :o Shoes - have to start on that - just looking for one pair to do the sites in..... rest will be sandals.

So I am doing pretty good I think. Steph - do you do water sports? We are going to try and fit in a dive in the Red Sea while in Hurghada..... if not a dive then we will be snorkeling - ALOT. Got to fit in our snorkle gear - so less room in suitcase :eek: I am going to need one BIG suitcase !

You're further along than we are! We still need to book excursions. Probably will do that this weekend. We booked our flights to JFK yesterday. We got a great deal through Delta. We're still debating on what hotel to stay at in NYC. It's really pricey and I don't think I want to stay by the airport either from the things I've been reading. Also, it seems like even though it's not too far from the city, it takes a long time to get there due to traffic. Since we only have a little bit of time there to squeeze a bunch of things in, we may be better off staying in the middle of everything. As far as water sports, we both love to snorkel. Neither of us are PADI certified so we can't dive. It's on our list to do someday, but we haven't done it yet. Randy has dove in the past before they checked certifications, but I never have. I'm getting really excited about it especially after we booked our flight to NY. I'll be happy when we get done with figuring out where to stay!

Steph

..........Steph - do you do water sports? We are going to try and fit in a dive in the Red Sea while in Hurghada..... if not a dive then we will be snorkeling - ALOT. Got to fit in our snorkle gear - so less room in suitcase :eek: I am going to need one BIG suitcase !

Don't know about diving, but a few on our tour snorkled all day for $25.00 per person. This included lunch. The folks told me the snorkling was great but lunch was horrible. So take your own sandwich. I think you need a group don't know how many. We were asked to go but we had a tour scheduled to the desert already. They booked it right behind the hotel. Just ask about it.

Don

Don't know about diving, but a few on our tour snorkled all day for $25.00 per person. This included lunch. The folks told me the snorkling was great but lunch was horrible. So take your own sandwich. I think you need a group don't know how many. We were asked to go but we had a tour scheduled to the desert already. They booked it right behind the hotel. Just ask about it. Don

Thanks for the info. I have been researching our options already. Seems there is a good dive shop right there at Fort Arabesque resort - iDive

Prices are very reasonable including equipment. BTW: Did you stay at Fort Arabesque while in Hurghada ? If so - thoughts or comments ?

Just not sure if we can fit it in our first afternoon (after arriving from Luxor). Since we are flying out 1.5 days later, this would be our only option (not supposed to dive 24 hrs before flying). Perhaps we will be doing ALOT of snorkeling :D

PS: was looking at your 208 days at sea history - you should try a Celebrity cruise ! We loved ours.

....BTW: Did you stay at Fort Arabesque while in Hurghada ? If so - thoughts or comments?........

PS: was looking at your 208 days at sea history - you should try a Celebrity cruise ! We loved ours.

We stayed at the Hilton while in Hurghada.

I have looked a Celebrity several times but it never worked out. I do plan to try them one of these days.

Don

Archived