Autograph books - Characters on board?

nicki_momof3

My kids love to get autographs of all the characters at WDW. We usually come home with a book full.

How often are characters around on a cruise (first one in August)? Do characters just appear like at WDW or is it only scheduled sessions?

What about at Castaway Cay?

Thanks

The characters do not sign autographs all the time. On Castaway Cay, The kid in front of us could only get photo. Cm told us it was too hot. They were only doing pics to accomadate as many people as possible in the short time.

My kids love to get autographs of all the characters at WDW. We usually come home with a book full.

How often are characters around on a cruise (first one in August)? Do characters just appear like at WDW or is it only scheduled sessions?

What about at Castaway Cay?

Thanks

Did you post this on the other boards too? I think I answered it there for you, but will here too for all that want to know.

All of your main characters are on the ship. Mickey & Pals as well as all of the Princess. Last cruise we got a suprise and got Jimmy Cricket & Tink. First time in ALL of our multiple DCL cruises. :D If you have character specifis then ask, because it is hard to list them all. You get Lilo & Stich too. Now you do not get Playhouse Disney or Winnie the Pooh & gang.

There is a character schedule in the atrium on a teleprompter telling you who will be where and when. There is also a PALS number you can call on the phone that gives you the schedule. The charaters are more than happy to sign autographs and the lines are really short compared to the WORLD..... The reason being, the characters are so available and make soooo many scheduled appearances that it is not hard to get them. ;) Also the Princess host a book signing time, where they sit at a table and that is what they do. When the characters appear in the clubs, they are there for activity & socialization not for autographs. When they are on CC, they move them pretty fast and they are only there for short periods. Mickey, Minnie & all PALs including Chip & Dale are on CC. Capt. Hook too. There is a schedule if you look before leaving. Who you get is when you are out there. The characters are moved back to the ship sooo fast because they get overheated in the costumes. Everyone on CC is in Costume form (so no Princess.) It has to be someone/character that has on Swimwear, so no Bikini Princess (LOL)..... Since it is about 100 degrees inside those heads, they do not allow autographs. Just picture$ for photo ops. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

We got signatures at the character breakfast. Just be ready when the come to your table, because it is a quick stop. The princess' stay within the scheduled sessions. If it says say 'til 3:30, they leave at 3:30, line or no line. Arrive early.

Another idea is to put a new pillowcase along with different colored permanent markers in a ziploc bag and gave it to Guest Services the day you board. They have many Disney characters autograph the pillowcase and return it to your stateroom the night before departure. My grandson was really happy to have such a nice keepsake.

We got signatures at the character breakfast. Just be ready when the come to your table, because it is a quick stop. The princess' stay within the scheduled sessions. If it says say 'til 3:30, they leave at 3:30, line or no line. Arrive early.

Actually I suggest that you DO NOT do this.... This is one of the reason's they stopped the character breakfast meet & greet and went to the Island Jam. They have now gone back to the traditional breakfast and really do not want guest doing this. They will because they want to make you happy, but it keeps the characters from getting to all of the tables, which makes complaints again and they may again stop the breakfast. They are asking one photo op at the table and no signatures. So, please you will have PLENTY opportunities in line. Now do people do them at the breakfast; yes..... BUT I am asking that you do not because I like the breakfast traditional & do not want to go back to the Island Jam.;)

Another option would be to leave you kids autograph books with the front desk,at the beginning of the cruise with a small bag of assorted candies, and ask them to have it signed for them.(Make sure you clearly mark your kids books as to the owner)They will generally do it with pillow cases and I have seen picture frames mentioned, so I cant see a reason, (unless someone else has tried and not have it worked) why they would not sign your kids books.

I don't know what signing the pillowcase has to do with interfering with the breakfast, because the autographing is done over a week's time. The whole thing was handled very efficiently at Guest Services and a printed form was attached to the ziploc bag with all the info needed. It was clear they do this all the time. At no time did I feel I was imposing on anyone at the Guest Services desk. Also, the morning after our arrival, my grandson enjoyed the breakfast with all the Disney characters.

I don't know what signing the pillowcase has to do with interfering with the breakfast, because the autographing is done over a week's time. The whole thing was handled very efficiently at Guest Services and a printed form was attached to the ziploc bag with all the info needed. It was clear they do this all the time. At no time did I feel I was imposing on anyone at the Guest Services desk. Also, the morning after our arrival, my grandson enjoyed the breakfast with all the Disney characters.

What they are saying is not to ask the characters for autographs DURING the character breakfast. SPOILER SPOILER *One other thing that most people don't realize is that just because you meet the criteria to dress as Mickey, doesn't mean you are authorized to do the signature. Only certain people are allowed to do the signatures, which is why it's actually much easier for them to get signatures for you "behind the scenes" from an authorized signer who is not necessarily in costume at the time.

I never understood why the characters at the breakfasts were in such a rush from table to table. In DisneyWorld or DisneyLand they seem to leisurely go from table to table. On the Cruise ship they seem to only have about 30 seconds for each table. And the tables on the ship are usually much larger.

I never understood why the characters at the breakfasts were in such a rush from table to table. In DisneyWorld or DisneyLand they seem to leisurely go from table to table. On the Cruise ship they seem to only have about 30 seconds for each table. And the tables on the ship are usually much larger.

It's because the time period is such a short amount of time. The first breakfast has to get out to get ready for second breakfast. The second breakfast has to get out to get ready for lunch. Since there are only 3 dinningrooms they are turned over so fast. The you have the issue of the pictures. The ship's photographer follows them of cour$e; but then you get each table wanting to take 4-8 photos with personal cameras. The mom who wants the two kids with Mickey, then each kid seperate with Mickey, then Dad and the kids with Mickey then her and the kids with Mickey and then the family with Mickey.... For goodness sakes, let's not throw in grandma....:eek: If they are trying to be nice and do this at each table then stop for autographs too, they never get to all of the tables. It was this complaint that STOPPED the traditional breakfast that we are now again lucky enough to have back. If people start back with multiple pictures and autographs; it will again be snatched from us.... The character breakfast at WDW tend to be longer and if they do not all get to you, then oh well..... If they are missed on the cruise, then DCL hears about it again and again and again.......:mad: If everyone would just have common respect and realize that the characters are ALL OVER the ship and stopped stalking them at special events, we would all be happier. The character breakfast is only on the longer cruises anyway, so everyone has all week to get the autographs.... Makes me angry too to see people get :mad: on CC when they ask for no autographs so that as many people as possible can get photo ops because the characters are only out 20 minutes at a time. They then comment "come on.... you just got her." They are not thinking that it is over 100 degress in those COSTUMES......

It would be more fair as well if the characters spent more time per person instead of per table. We had a party of 6 last time and the characters spent the same amount of time on our table as they did for a couple sitting alone at the table next to us. On this next cruise we are going to split up on different tables or take two different meal times.

Who really cares if it's a traditional breakfast or buffet or whatever? If it's a character breakfast then the time with the characters should be more important in my opinion. You can get the same $5 breakfast at a Denny's or Ihop but you only have one chance to have Disney characters coming around to your table. If you have small kids (under 4) they don't want to wait in 5 different lines at different times during the cruise, that's the good thing about the character breakfast, you can just sit at your table and they come around to you.

Yeah - what is the rush. We are paying a ton of $$$ for this trip and a few minutes with the teh characters at breakfast is not a lot to ask. I will be allowing my children to get autpgraphs - we are paying for the experience. If it is so time consuming maybe they should put more characters at breakfast so even though you may not get to see everyone you will get some meaningful interaction with a few.

If WDW can manage autographs at all character meals (they do - we have done every character meal) than a cruise can.

What they are saying is not to ask the characters for autographs DURING the character breakfast. SPOILER SPOILER *One other thing that most people don't realize is that just because you meet the criteria to dress as Mickey, doesn't mean you are authorized to do the signature. Only certain people are allowed to do the signatures, which is why it's actually much easier for them to get signatures for you "behind the scenes" from an authorized signer who is not necessarily in costume at the time.

What's the fun in "behind the scenes" for a child?

It would be more fair as well if the characters spent more time per person instead of per table. We had a party of 6 last time and the characters spent the same amount of time on our table as they did for a couple sitting alone at the table next to us. Yes, I agree with this. It is not fair, because you may even have a party of 6 at one table that is one family and the next table, there are two families. So I totally agree. On this next cruise we are going to split up on different tables or take two different meal times. Sorry but you do not have this option. If you remember, you are assigned your table; assigned your table with the same folks you are assigned dinner with. It is not a come and sit where you wish. You are also given an assigned time for breakfast. Can not come until it is your time with your servers, just like dinner.

Who really cares if it's a traditional breakfast or buffet or whatever? Not comparing buffet to sit down. The character breakfast started out just as it is now. It then changed to what was called an Island Jam. The characters got up and danced in the middle of PC and the kids could get up and dance with them. They played games and did a polka type of line around PC with the kids following. Well for first time cruisers this was fine, but for those of us that liked the traditional way, it SUCKED because all of the parents are up running around with cameras and video cameras, running into each other and not being very MAGICAL. Totally sucked. Good thing my kids go every year, because this last Island Jam, they just sat at the table and ate breakfast and looked at the parents fall and trample over kids to catch the photo op of their child. If it's a character breakfast then the time with the characters should be more important in my opinion. You can get the same $5 breakfast at a Denny's or Ihop but you only have one chance to have Disney characters coming around to your table. I agree, not about the food you can go up to Topsiders/Beachblanket and get the exact same food. Not at all bringing up the food in any manner. Just speaking of the two different ways the breakfast has been handled. If you have small kids (under 4) they don't want to wait in 5 different lines at different times during the cruise, that's the good thing about the character breakfast, you can just sit at your table and they come around to you. Totally agree; but if they want were to WANT autographs, then they should be willing to get in line to get them. AT this point it is the parents that want them for the kids, not the kids.

So all I am saying is for people to think before taking out the autograph books at breakfast and think before taking the 5th picture with Mickey at the table. If you do not want to loose the characters coming to the tables AGAIN, then just be respectful of the time. But to the above poster I quoted; I totally agree with you, it is not fair to spend the same amount of time at the smaller or single family tables as it is at the multiple family tables. I do think DCL needs to figure this out better. Maybe the answer is an hourglass. Each family gets a flip and use your time as you wish. ;)

What's the fun in "behind the scenes" for a child?

Of course it's not fun to picture a regular guy signing "Mickey Mouse". That's why I typed SPOILER SPOILER before it. :rolleyes: All the character signatures are supposed to look consistent, so if you get Mickey or Goofy's sig in 2002 and again in 2009, they both look the same. Therefore you have to be trained on the proper look of each signature, which not everyone can do. Think how hard it is to copy anyone's signature - you need a bit of artistic ability. Costumed characters have physical requirements (height, weight, etc) to fit the costumes properly, plus need to have the right acting skills to play whatever part they are cast in, but don't necessarily have the ability to do the signatures properly. Anyway, it's still very exciting for a child to receive a special pillowcase or tshirt that all the characters signed for them, even if they didn't watch it get signed.

Okay, sorry for the double post, but since this site does not let you edit past 15 minutes, I have to repost it for easier reading.... I did go back to make it easier but it timmed me out in the mean time.... So here we go.....

Originally Posted by phunchak viewpost.gif

It would be more fair as well if the characters spent more time per person instead of per table. We had a party of 6 last time and the characters spent the same amount of time on our table as they did for a couple sitting alone at the table next to us. Yes, I agree with this. It is not fair, because you may even have a party of 6 at one table that is one family and the next table, there are two families which make up the party of 6; so therefore requiring more time. So I totally agree. On this next cruise we are going to split up on different tables or take two different meal times. Sorry but you do not have this option. If you remember, you are assigned your table number/table; you are assigned your table with the same guest you are assigned dinner with. You get your same dinner services team. It is not a come and sit where you wish. You are also given an assigned time for breakfast.The first dinner (Main Dinning) guest are assigned breakfast 2 hours prior to the second dinner (Late Dinning) guest. You can not come until it is your time with your servers, just like dinner.

Who really cares if it's a traditional breakfast or buffet or whatever? Not comparing a buffet to a sit down. The character breakfast started out just as it is now. It then changed to what was called an "Island Jam". The characters would then danced in the middle of PC and the kids could get up and dance with them. They played games and did a polka type of line dance around PC with the kids following. Well for first time cruisers this was fine, but for those of us that liked the traditional way, it SUCKED because all of the parents are up running around with cameras and video cameras, running into each other and not being very MAGICAL. Totally sucked. Good thing my kids go every year, because this last Island Jam, they just sat at the table and ate breakfast and looked at the parents fall and trample over kids to catch the photo op of their child. If it's a character breakfast then the time with the characters should be more important in my opinion. You can get the same $5 breakfast at a Denny's or Ihop but you only have one chance to have Disney characters coming around to your table. I agree, not about the food you can go up to Topsiders and get the exact same food. Not at all bringing up the food in any manner. Just speaking of the two different ways the breakfast has been handled. If you have small kids (under 4) they don't want to wait in 5 different lines at different times during the cruise, that's the good thing about the character breakfast, you can just sit at your table and they come around to you. Totally agree; but if they want were to WANT autographs, then they should be willing to get in line to get them. AT this point it is the parents that want them for the kids, not the kids.

So all I am saying is for people to think before taking out the autograph books at breakfast and think before taking the 5th picture with Mickey at the table. If you do not want to loose the characters coming to the tables AGAIN, then just be respectful of the time. But to the above poster I quoted; I totally agree with you, it is not fair to spend the same amount of time at the smaller or single family tables as it is at the multiple family tables. I do think DCL needs to figure this out better. Maybe the answer is an hourglass. Each family gets a flip and use your time as you wish. ;) Just do the math though. If guest continue to be disrespectful of other people and the character's time, then DCL will again have to stop it. When my kids were little we too go autographs. Grant it, it was me that wanted it for them and when I as the parent get excited and tell them about getting them and let them start the process, of course the kid gets excited and "wants them" <mind you I am still saying th parents are the seed planters for YOUNGER children>. When they were younger, they really just wanted to hug and touch Minnie/Mickey. So at the character breakfast, when they came and my kids did this, this is when I grabbed my photo op. Just do the math.... It is not possible for each character to come to each table, take 5-10 pictures, sign 5-6 autographs and take the $hutter$ photo too. If you do the math time how many families are there, there is noooo way it can be done in 1 1/2 hours.... So I am just saying, YES enjoy the characters coming to the tables, enjoy seeing the twinkle in the kids eyes. Let Shutters do their thing and grab some impromptu pictures of your own. Then be respectful and let them move on. They are very very available on the ship.... If the kids are truly the ones that want the autograph and it is about the charater child interaction, then they are old enough to be willing to stand in line. Save the autographs for other than breakfast or Castaway in order for more people to get the same interaction..... This is ALL that I am saying.... BTW, the Princess do an autograph session on the ship. They sit a table and pass the books to each. Great chance to grab them to the OP.:)

On this next cruise we are going to split up on different tables or take two different meal times.

Sorry but you do not have this option. If you remember, you are assigned your table number/table; you are assigned your table with the same guest you are assigned dinner with. You get your same dinner services team. It is not a come and sit where you wish. You are also given an assigned time for breakfast.The first dinner (Main Dinning) guest are assigned breakfast 2 hours prior to the second dinner (Late Dinning) guest. You can not come until it is your time with your servers, just like dinner.

I meant to say for the entire cruise meal service we were going to take two different meal times. Half the party taking main time and the other half the late time. At least that way for the character meals we get a couple pictures.

GREAT IDEA - Eliminate the annoying DCL phoptograph and save some time. It would be much faster if he only took pictures when asked to - like a standby basis.

We will NEVER purchase those overpriced pictures so why waste everyones time.

More time for my autographs.

Archived