3 Ports - Only Diving 1...which one???

Deptacon

Going to St Marteen, St. Thomas, and Nassau.... which one should I dive??? I am leaning towards St. Thomas since I would like to leave Nassau and St Marteen open for land walking activities :).

I am new to diving, have not done many dives but my GF and myself are certified...

Going to St Marteen, St. Thomas, and Nassau.... which one should I dive??? I am leaning towards St. Thomas since I would like to leave Nassau and St Marteen open for land walking activities :).

I am new to diving, have not done many dives but my GF and myself are certified...

I've been diving at none of these ports, but I've researched them and I think I can safely say that the general consensus is that the best of these three for diving is St. Thomas. Nassau has the option of doing the Shark dive with Stuart Cove though. St. Maarten doesn't have a reputation for good diving, but I've seen photos that look good.

Personally, I'd dive them all if I could, but I live a long way from any good diving.:)

Dive st thomas, We used Blue Island Divers and they were good, they have a dive shop right at the Crown bay dock and will pick you up at the havensite dock if your ship docks there. plus St Thomas has some great wreaks, and if you get the chance dive the Miss Oppertounity we were going to but another dive boat beat us to it.

Definitely St. Thomas. Second choice St Maarten. We dove St. Maarten once a few years ago. Tried a second time off the ship but the weather didn't cooperate. St. Thomas is where I did my first resort dive before getting certified. Lots of marine life and good vis.

We've never gone diving in Nassau but have been several times in Freeport and several other islands. The Bahamas are big for the shark dive experience.

Dive st thomas, We used Blue Island Divers and they were good, they have a dive shop right at the Crown bay dock and will pick you up at the havensite dock if your ship docks there. plus St Thomas has some great wreaks, and if you get the chance dive the Miss Oppertounity we were going to but another dive boat beat us to it.

Second the port choice and dive op. We have used them a couple of times and were great both times.

Second the port choice and dive op. We have used them a couple of times and were great both times.

So you planned the dive outside of the cruise ship options dive options? This is an option listed on the excursions list for carnival for that stop:

St. Thomas Certified Diver Two Tank Boat Dive

Experience the thrill of diving in the clear, warm waters of the Caribbean.

On this excursion you will:

• Board a U.S. Coast Guard certified dive boat for the ride to your first dive site.
  • Listen as PADI divemasters and instructors provide an informative pre-dive briefing and accompany you on the dives.
  • Know the two dive sites on the day of the dive, depending on local weather conditions; among the possible sites are the Buck Island
  • Wildlife Refuge and the wreck of the Cartanser Senior or Navy barges which provide an abundance of intriguing marine life.
  • Learn that dive sites range in depths, from 35 to 55 feet, and offer very relaxing diving with outstanding visibility and little to no surge or current.

Note: Minimum age is 12 years. Equipment included (mask, snorkel, fins, bc, tanks); wetsuit rental available by request for $10. A valid Open Water Certification Card (“C-Card”) must be presented in order to participate. Consult the Diving Policy at the beginning of your Shore Excursions booklet prior to booking. The boat trip to the dive sites may be choppy, but the sites are normally relatively calm.

I will do a google search for this dive company and see if I can find them.

So you planned the dive outside of the cruise ship options dive options?

I will do a google search for this dive company and see if I can find them.

We always do our own planning, except for Belize. They will pick up/drop off you up at the docks. There boat is smaller, less divers, and usually less expensive. Blue Island does this nearly everyday so they know the ship schedules. Just let them know what ship and home port (for time zone purposes) are and the time you will get there. The last time we used them, we had a diver that worked on another cruise ship in port that day with us. She said it was her day off and she like using Blue Island.

We always do our own planning, except for Belize. They will pick up/drop off you up at the docks. There boat is smaller, less divers, and usually less expensive. Blue Island does this nearly everyday so they know the ship schedules. Just let them know what ship and home port (for time zone purposes) are and the time you will get there. The last time we used them, we had a diver that worked on another cruise ship in port that day with us. She said it was her day off and she like using Blue Island.

Ok, The prices are almost the same. 99 a person from Blue Island for A 1 Tank 2 dive trip (plus 10 for equipment). The Carnival trip is 109 with all equipment. I bet Blue Island will take us to some better dive spots... I wonder who Carnival contracts with for thier dives in St Thomas. The Carnival Dive is a 2 tank, 2 dive trip though. 4 hours total.

Ok, The prices are almost the same. 99 a person from Blue Island for A 1 Tank 2 dive trip (plus 10 for equipment). The Carnival trip is 109 with all equipment. I bet Blue Island will take us to some better dive spots... I wonder who Carnival contracts with for thier dives in St Thomas. The Carnival Dive is a 2 tank, 2 dive trip though. 4 hours total.

Well they are both 2 tank 2 dive trips and the prices do look the same. I don't know who carnival uses. The only difference is the boat size, how many divers they take, and where you meet the boat at, the cruise ship dock or a cab ride to another dock. All being said, the only thing left is to just GET WET and have fun.

My GF and myself are actually relitively new to diving. Just got certifed and this will be our first REC dive out of the CERT/CHECKOUT Dive proccess.

Random question....what do you reccomend for underwater photo's? just use a disposable or what?

My GF and myself are actually relitively new to diving. Just got certifed and this will be our first REC dive out of the CERT/CHECKOUT Dive proccess.

Random question....what do you reccomend for underwater photo's? just use a disposable or what?

My wife and I did the same years ago on our 1st cruise to Cozumel. I would share that info with your dive master on the boat so he can keep a closer eye on you 2. We did and it made us more comfortable on the dive.

My wife is the photog. She said a disposable that is rated for 80 ft is the way to go for the 1st time. If you use an independent dive op, they may have a simple point and shoot underwater camera you can rent. Either way, I would be careful about over tasking yourselves on the dive. Just get wet and have fun!

A good reason to go with Blue Island, I think .... less people means much more attention for you. We went with them several years ago, and our party of 3 was all there was - plus their captain and their DM. I was new at the time, and they were really nice and I was very comfortable.

I would share the info when you make your res.

Archived