Where to find a list of items allowed for flight??

lindseesmom

I carry insulin, both in the vials and in cartridges for my pump. I also, obviously, have an insulin pump attached to my body. I will never again fly in the United States if I can possibly avoid it. After taking off my shoes, emptying my pockets, having my liquid meds pulled out of their cooling pouch and shoved into the government mandated quart baggie, taking off my belt, watch, diabetic necklace, body jewelry, shoes, cap, glasses and jacket, I of course still set off the metal detector. I am wearing a medical device you idiots. It is in plain sight. You can watch it work if you want, but I will not disconnect for you dysfunctional bunch of overpaid clowns. After two body scans, I was finally passed. Now the thing that most amused me is that I had, in my carry on, in my camera case a plastic knife. I forgot that, but it is a prohibited weapon. While the guys from Ringlling Brothers (sorry that should read TSA) were so fixated on my pump and my pump plumbing, they missed this and so had I.

In Europe, the security check was more thorough and consisted of a couple of questions, a brief glance at my pump and my bag of stuff and a polite thank you.

Anyway this long rant is to suggest that you also look at the TSA website preferably a few hours before your flight, but certainly within 48 hours of it to see what the latest rule changes are. This will not prevent you from being harassed by the local people at your airport as they all tend to interpret the rules as they see fit.

I would not be so upset with TSA policies if they actually enhanced security in any way; they don't.

Might help if you ever have to travel by plane again - get your doctor to write a note you can carry in your travel bag stating that you have that device, while they are idiots, it will make your process a little bit faster.

I guess with all your comments, some of you seem to think we would all be better off if TSA just wasn't there !

Some of you can't even determine the difference between TSA and airline employees !! :eek:

As for me, I realize it is sometimes a bigger deal clearing the security checks than other times, but I appreciate the TSA and the job they are trying to do. True, some TSA officials are more motivated or competant than others.

Maybe some of you should just request they institue special flights where no one is checked as it is just too much trouble for some folks. Hope you make it to your destinations !

Any before you start flaming me, my 82 year old mother has had both knees replaced and even though she has the approved TSA document from her doctor, she gets pulled every time and yes it takes longer.

You can buy and carry on as much alcohol as you want, IF you buy it in the duty free store after you clear security in the airport.

Yes I know that...but I never thought to ask her that. Good point.

I guess with all your comments, some of you seem to think we would all be better off if TSA just wasn't there !

Some of you can't even determine the difference between TSA and airline employees !! :eek:

As for me, I realize it is sometimes a bigger deal clearing the security checks than other times, but I appreciate the TSA and the job they are trying to do. True, some TSA officials are more motivated or competant than others.

Maybe some of you should just request they institue special flights where no one is checked as it is just too much trouble for some folks. Hope you make it to your destinations !

Any before you start flaming me, my 82 year old mother has had both knees replaced and even though she has the approved TSA document from her doctor, she gets pulled every time and yes it takes longer.

You know what? Having to take my shoes off because of one d-bag on a flight is really annoying me. Having to jam liquids into tiny bottles and not being able to take quite a few hair products, makeup bottles, enough sun screen...it's all really annoying and yes I'm sick of the restrictions. And why can I not seem to be able to mix a bomb onboard using one 6.8-oz bottle of some crazy chemical, but I can if I had two 3.4-oz bottles filled with the same chemical, or whatever it is you need to make a bomb?

You know what? Having to take my shoes off because of one d-bag on a flight is really annoying me. Having to jam liquids into tiny bottles and not being able to take quite a few hair products, makeup bottles, enough sun screen...it's all really annoying and yes I'm sick of the restrictions. And why can I not seem to be able to mix a bomb onboard using one 6.8-oz bottle of some crazy chemical, but I can if I had two 3.4-oz bottles filled with the same chemical, or whatever it is you need to make a bomb?

While you are probably correct, you couldn't figure out how to do that, there are others who could easily mix one with that amount of items !

Remember a structurally sound Air France plane just went down with a combination of minor malfunctions which occurred all at one time. A small well placed explosion could easily do the same.

While you are probably correct, you couldn't figure out how to do that, there are others who could easily mix one with that amount of items !

Remember a structurally sound Air France plane just went down with a combination of minor malfunctions which occurred all at one time. A small well placed explosion could easily do the same.

Sure, but my point was I CAN have 7 ounces of that liquid as long as its in two stupid little bottles in a quart bag...

If I choose to put my toiletries in the checked luggage, then they can be any size?? Seems easier to me! Now what about medication?? We want that in the carryon and I am assuming it would have to be in its original bottle.

Thanks!

They actually only allow you to have one zip lock bag of tolietries and then one for medicines. I had a TSA person start to get on to me for having too many bags until she looked at them. Most of the stuff in the medicine bag was not liquids, it was just easier to put all the medicines together. (I had 3 little baggies) So coming home I separated liquids and non liquid medicines. (so just two) I usually end up with 4 baggies because I have my two (tolietry + med) and my son's two (tolietry + med). That way he doesn't have to deal with that. He usually has a lap top so that way he's juggling that and I can deal with all the plastic baggies.

Some TSA agents won't even say anything if you have 2-3 bags. But others are strict. A co-worker got in trouble for too many so she had to hand off to another co-worker (male/boss) traveling on the same business trip so she could get home with her make-up. She's a former beauty pagent "queen" so I'm sure she travels with a ton of makeup.

Archived