Anyone done floatplane to east arm, Glacier Bay?

fann1sh

I searched this forum, and found info on east and west Glacier Bay flightseeing, but perhaps simply missed mentions of this floatplane, below:

Air X offers:

"The east arm of Glacier Bay is home to many species of marine life, such as harbor seals and sea lions, and is a popular feeding spot for humpback and orca whales. The tidewater glaciers in this region are receding fairly rapidly, and as a result, often calve huge icebergs into the bay providing a dramatic site for those fortunate enough to behold it. Let Air Excursions take you and your guests to the tranquil east arm of Glacier Bay.

Tours of Glacier Bay are available daily. Our trips may be tailored to your needs and preferences. Choose either a float plane tour which includes a water landing for a close up view of a glacier's face, or a wheel plane for a spectacular arial view of the Park. These tours are an excellent way to see what Glacier Bay is all about."

As a solo traveler I couldn't fill a charter alone, so I've queried Air X about keeping my name on file in case anyone needs to fill a floatplane. Of course I'll ask them questions, but if they telephone me at the last minute, I'm concerned I'll forget :rolleyes: to ask all I need to know.

If anyone has done this (BudgetQueen, you seem to have done most every possible flight) will there be flyover of the west arm as well? How much time is in the air, how much time is the landing? Seeing/hearing calving would be a magical bonus, but I don't expect it to occur on cue for me. But, I'm truly more interested in seeing glaciers than in seeing wildlife. Is that unrealistic for the east arm?

I've also asked Mountain Flying Service in Haines to get in contact the day I visit if they need to fill a flightseeing tour of Glacier Bay (not a floatplane - might make a wheeled landing on a beach elsewhere). Would this be the better choice, given my focus on glaciers and scenery?

I believe I'm realistic about weather. If it's good enough for the plane to go up, it's good enough for me. Rain, low ceiling, fog won't ruin it for me.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Archived