Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

There is a small info shop on the quay at Frihamnen where you should be able to buy the 24 hour travel card. It can not be bought online.

Need a little advise PLEASE;

Arriving at Stadsgården Port, I would like to go to Vasa, followed by meeting the Bike tour I will be taking,

What is the best and easiest way to get to Vasa?

Can i walk back from the Ice bar to the ship at Stadsgården Port?

Thank you.

cruisinbob.com

Arriving at Stadsgården Port, I would like to go to Vasa, followed by meeting the Bike tour I will be taking,

Thank you.

cruisinbob.com

I would also like to know the best way back to the ship at Stadsgården from the Ice Bar.

Thanks,

Mary Ann

Ok, so I think I made a mistake in planning Stockholm. I decided to get Stockholm cards, but I purchased them from Viator and they just give you a voucher and not the actual card. We'll have to pick up the cards from the Tourist Center at the Sweden House. I've already emailed the tourist center and they told me there is no where to exchange the vouchers at the Frihamnen port. I'm disappointed because I planned on taking advantage of the public transportation that is included with the card, and now we have to pay for transportation downtown before we even pick up the cards.

So, my Question is: if I were to take the 76 bus from Frihamnen to the Gamla Stan, how much cash would I need, and where can I purchase those tickets? We'll explore the Gamla Stan and exchange our vouchers around 9 when the tourist center opens.

I don't know why, but this has been the most difficult and frustrating city to plan.

Thanks all!

We are on the Star Princess Fri July 23 and plan to take the HoHo Boat from the cruise berth. Is it too far to walk from Skansen to the Vasa? We are in town (hopefully) from 10am to 5pm. After seeing these 2 sites, would there be enough time to sightsee in GamlaStan/Palace/TownHall also? Thanks so much!

Thank you.

cruisinbob.com

The easiest way to get to Vasa is to take a taxi.

It is possible to walk back from the Ice Bar to the ship but it is not a short walk, seems to be 2.4 miles. Here is a map: http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=59.322834,18.078647&spn=0.012612,0.027723&t=h&z=15&msid=100446628536787947860.000488aedf83c1c09db9a

Or you can take the Metro from T-Centralen station to Slussen. And then walk to the ship or take a bus. There are several buses that leave from a bus station under the Metro station. I think they will all stop near the ship.

So, my Question is: if I were to take the 76 bus from Frihamnen to the Gamla Stan, how much cash would I need, and where can I purchase those tickets? We'll explore the Gamla Stan and exchange our vouchers around 9 when the tourist center opens.

I don't know why, but this has been the most difficult and frustrating city to plan.

I am so sorry that you are having problems. This is the first time I have heard of someone buying the Stockholm card and not receive the actual card but a voucher.

Usually I don't recommend the Stockholm card because it is difficult for a cruise passenger with limited time to visit enough museums to make it worthwile. But now this is a new reason.

Anyway the cost for one ticket on the bus is 30 kronor. You can not pay the driver, you need a ticket before you get on. I think you can buy the ticket at the info shop on the quay before you walk to the bus stop. Or there is a ticket machine at the bus stop. For the ticket machine you can use Swedish coins, or a credit card (but some visitors have reported that their credit card didn't work).

I hope you will have a more pleasant experience once you are here in Stockholm.

We are on the Star Princess Fri July 23 and plan to take the HoHo Boat from the cruise berth. Is it too far to walk from Skansen to the Vasa? We are in town (hopefully) from 10am to 5pm. After seeing these 2 sites, would there be enough time to sightsee in GamlaStan/Palace/TownHall also? Thanks so much!

Skansen and Vasa are both in the same part of Stockholm and it is not far to walk.

Skansen covers a big area and there is a lot to see and do there, I can easily spend a day there. But if you limit your time a bit there should be enough time left for Gamla Stan and the Palace.

Maybe you should skip the Town Hall. You can only go inside on a guided tour.

I am so sorry that you are having problems. This is the first time I have heard of someone buying the Stockholm card and not receive the actual card but a voucher.

Usually I don't recommend the Stockholm card because it is difficult for a cruise passenger with limited time to visit enough museums to make it worthwile. But now this is a new reason.

Anyway the cost for one ticket on the bus is 30 kronor. You can not pay the driver, you need a ticket before you get on. I think you can buy the ticket at the info shop on the quay before you walk to the bus stop. Or there is a ticket machine at the bus stop. For the ticket machine you can use Swedish coins, or a credit card (but some visitors have reported that their credit card didn't work).

I hope you will have a more pleasant experience once you are here in Stockholm.

Thanks so much. I had thought getting the card would be worth it for the transportation options alone, but I should have purchased it through the normal site, not viator. Viator was cheaper, but now I have to deal with this voucher issue. Hopefully it will all go smoothly once we're there.

The easiest way to get to Vasa is to take a taxi.

It is possible to walk back from the Ice Bar to the ship but it is not a short walk, seems to be 2.4 miles. Here is a map: http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=59.322834,18.078647&spn=0.012612,0.027723&t=h&z=15&msid=100446628536787947860.000488aedf83c1c09db9a

Or you can take the Metro from T-Centralen station to Slussen. And then walk to the ship or take a bus. There are several buses that leave from a bus station under the Metro station. I think they will all stop near the ship.

N/S;

Thanks for the info, how about a plan to save a few dollars, would a bus be better to vasa? what would you recommend and I will try and make my way back?

Thanks

Bob

We just want to get the flavor of 'Old Sweden', knowing we can't really appreciate the whole attraction... but will try the Vasa and then strolling in Old Town to round out the day. We all appreciate your patient postings, knowing we only have a few hours but want to see it all! Thanks again.

Well, I contacted Viator to try and cancel the Stockholm cards through them. Hopefully it will be painless and I get the refund pretty fast. After I do, I'm going to re-buy the stockholm passes through Stockholmtown.com, since they'll send them to me directly. Paying for shipping is better than trying to run all over town to exchange vouchers + paying for transportation that I already paid for.

N/S;

Thanks for the info, how about a plan to save a few dollars, would a bus be better to vasa? what would you recommend and I will try and make my way back?

Bob

There is no direct alternative, so here are some alternatives.

There is the HoHo Boat which has a stop near your ship. It seems to run mainly clockwise, which could take a long time to get to the Vasa Museum. But from what others have posted it seems sometime to go the other way around and then it could be a possible way to get there.

Or you could walk to the Slussen area (south end of Gamla Stan). The walk should take 25-30 minutes. From Slussen you can either take the regular ferry to Djurgården where the museum is. or you can take bus 76 to Djurgårdsbron stop and have a short walk to the museum.

If you don't want to walk to Slussen from the ship there are buses that stop near your ship and I think they all go to Slussen.

Here is a map where you can see the alternatives.

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&ll=59.324214,18.083668&spn=0.025222,0.055447&t=h&z=14

Well, I contacted Viator to try and cancel the Stockholm cards through them. Hopefully it will be painless and I get the refund pretty fast. After I do, I'm going to re-buy the stockholm passes through Stockholmtown.com, since they'll send them to me directly. Paying for shipping is better than trying to run all over town to exchange vouchers + paying for transportation that I already paid for.

Since it is mainly the transport you are interested in why not just buy the 24 hour transport card. It should be sold in the info shop on the quay from what I have been told. Cost is 100 kronor, a lot less than the card you can order online. But of course it is only for transport, including the regular ferry from Djurgården to Gamla Stan, not museums or sightseeing.

The museums take credit cards so you don't have to worry about changing any money for that.

Hi There,

would appreciate your input on what Hotel is better positioned for enjoying Stockholm 3 days before our cruise [ July].

Hilton Slusse

Radisson Blu Royal Viking

Sheraton

We would liketo be close to the Old City but also close enough to enjoy the new city.

The Sheraton says they are just over the bridge from the old city - how long would it take to walk 'over the bridge'?

thanks so much

Elana

There is so much to see and do in Stockholm that is in my mind much more interesting. And Stockholm is also a beautiful city.

Thanks to all answers...but it does get confusing. Some quick questions.

1. Frihamnen quay TI sells bus ticket/ferry ticket. How much for one day?

2. Where do you then go to find Bus 76?

3. Route to Vasa from Bus 76 stop?

4. Where to get ferry back from Vasa to Gama Stan?

5. Is the Town Hall, City Hall and Nobel Museum the same place?

6. Where are they located if we are at the Palace?

Do you need Sweedish Krona to buy bus/ferry tickets or do they take US dollars or euros or credit cards?

Thanks for all you offer us first time Stockholm tourists.

There is so much to see and do in Stockholm that is in my mind much more interesting. And Stockholm is also a beautiful city.

Thanks to all answers...but it does get confusing. Some quick questions.

Do you need Sweedish Krona to buy bus/ferry tickets or do they take US dollars or euros or credit cards?

Thanks for all you offer us first time Stockholm tourists.

Milwaukee;

I think we have the same plan if you are doing the Tour that starts at Gama Stan that starts at 11;30. Vasa first and work your way back.

If so perhaps we can exchange information.

Cruisinbob.com

Some quick questions.

First, here is a link to a map I where I have marked the different ports and the main attractions. I think you can find some answers there if you close in on the different locations you are interested in.

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&ll=59.33424,18.078175&spn=0.05043,0.110893&t=h&z=13

1. The 24 hour transport card costs 100 kronor.

2. It is easy to find the bus stop, take a look at the map which direction to take.

3. You take the bus to Djurgårdsbron stop, ask the driver to tell you where to get off. Again you can look at the map where to go. Start by crossing the bridge where you leave the bus. There will soon be signs pointing you in the right direction.

4. Again look at the map. You start in the opposite direction from where you came to the museum and walk along the water. Ask people on the way.

5. The Town Hall or City Hall is the same thing. It is to the north of Gamla Stan. Find it in my map. The Nobel Museum is in Gamla Stan so not the same location. You can only go inside the City hall on a guided tour. Here is a link so that you can see at what times there may be tours available.

http://international.stockholm.se/cityhall

6. See 5. And my map.

The info shop at the quay will take credit cards and probably Euros or USD as well.

Hi There,

would appreciate your input on what Hotel is better positioned for enjoying Stockholm 3 days before our cruise [ July].

Hilton Slusse

Radisson Blu Royal Viking

Sheraton

We would liketo be close to the Old City but also close enough to enjoy the new city.

The Sheraton says they are just over the bridge from the old city - how long would it take to walk 'over the bridge'?

thanks so much

Elana

Since I never stay in a hotel in Stockholm there is not much I can say about them. But Hilton is in the Slussen area just south of Gamla Stan. Sheraton is as you know across one of the bridges going north from Gamla Stan (takes perhaps five minutes to cross). And Royal Viking is further north, past the Central Railway Station.

My preference would definitely be Hilton. But that may well be because Södermalm is in my mind the best part of Stockholm and where I live.

The area north of Gamla Stan has the government and administrative district, the business district and a lot of shopping. But the area around Sheraton is rather boring in my mind. South of Gamla Stan used to be the poor working class district but that has changed and it is now younger, more trendy and more lively in the evenings. A lot restaurants around there. This is my personal opinion.

First, here is a link to a map I where I have marked the different ports and the main attractions. I think you can find some answers there if you close in on the different locations you are interested in.

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&ll=59.33424,18.078175&spn=0.05043,0.110893&t=h&z=13

1. The 24 hour transport card costs 100 kronor.

2. It is easy to find the bus stop, take a look at the map which direction to take.

3. You take the bus to Djurgårdsbron stop, ask the driver to tell you where to get off. Again you can look at the map where to go. Start by crossing the bridge where you leave the bus. There will soon be signs pointing you in the right direction.

4. Again look at the map. You start in the opposite direction from where you came to the museum and walk along the water. Ask people on the way.

5. The Town Hall or City Hall is the same thing. It is to the north of Gamla Stan. Find it in my map. The Nobel Museum is in Gamla Stan so not the same location. You can only go inside the City hall on a guided tour. Here is a link so that you can see at what times there may be tours available.

http://international.stockholm.se/cityhall

6. See 5. And my map.

The info shop at the quay will take credit cards and probably Euros or USD as well.

Thank you so much. Unfortunately I'm "map-challenged" but I'm sure my husband will figure it out.

100 SKK for transport is about 12.50 US dollars...is that just the bus or also the water ferry back to GS?

Which would you recommend ... Town Hall or Nobel Museum?

Which would you recommend.....Palace or Nobel Museum?

Thanks for your fast answers.

Milwaukee;

I think we have the same plan if you are doing the Tour that starts at Gama Stan that starts at 11;30. Vasa first and work your way back.

If so perhaps we can exchange information.

Cruisinbob.com

I'm hoping to get off the ship and do Vasa fist thing before the tour busses arrive. Then ferry back to do GS and the attractions there.

What ship are you on and when?

lannie62

If you are interested in the area south of Gamla Stan Hilton is in a perfect position. You have Gamla Stan on one side of the hotel and Södermalm on the other. Södermalm, or Söder as we usually say means the south.

Of course there are many other hotels in the area. You can search on any hotel site. As I said, I never use the hotels here , so I don't want to recommend any when I know nothing about them.

Edited by north-bound