Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

At the end of the day, we took bus 3 from city hall to Tjarhovsplan exit and walked back to Katarinvagen to see La Mano statue then on via Fjallgatan to Stadsgarden 167 stopping at Kafestuga for ice cream(full of local families enjoying the day).I had all this on a google map so it was super easy to follow. What I liked about this route back to the ship was there were almost no other tourists- just locals. It was a nice way to end the day and we could LINGER over the lovely views (it is up high looking down) as long as we wanted depending on when we needed to be back at the ship. It is a MUCH nicer way back to the pier, if you have time. We wandered as time permitted- especially enjoyed going into a courtyard of some little church with lovely flowers and lovely views.

I am just sad that all the pix we took from Sodermalm got erased from our camera before downloaded to our laptop--So if anyone else follows this route and has photos to share, I would appreciate that.

Unfortunately, our ship was only in port 10-5(we needed to be onboard by 4:30), so we could not explore more. Locals on this thread have listed other things to explore there, time permitting. If we were not docked at Stadsgarden, then I do not think we would have had time to do this.

I originally was trying to work in the Ice Bar, but I think we would have been rushed. Based on the locals' recommendations on this thread, I am so glad we saw a little of Sodermalm instead. I think it represented a side of real Stockholm life better than the Ice Bar.

Floridafolks, thank you so much for coming back here and tell us about your day in Stockholm. I am happy it went well and you had a good time.

Often when I answer questions and try to give advice on alternaties I wonder later what happened when they were here. Did things work well, did the poster enjoy the day in Stockholm? But it is not often we hear from someone after the cruise, so it is really appreciated.

And I am so happy you liked Fjällgatan! Today I took a walk there myself and enjoyed the view. Also had an icecream at the cafe, I think it is a very nice place.

So again, Thank you!

Floridafolks, where all did you go on Sodermalm and were you glad you spent some time there? Thanks. Marlyne

Here is a link to the map I made for Floridafolks. It shows you the way to walk from the bus stop at Tjärhovsplan and down to the ship at Stadsgården.

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000486f302393ee8c6554&ll=59.316616,18.09165&spn=0.012614,0.027852&t=h&z=15

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

hi

How far is the old town from the port?

What public transport is available near the port and could you give us direction to it please. Thank you

hi How far is the old town from the port? What public transport is available near the port and could you give us direction to it please. Thank you

Welcome to these boards. At which specific port in Stockholm are you docking? Which ship will you be on? You could be an hour away. Maybe only 10-15 minutes away or docked right next to the key historic area. There are a number of docking options in Stockholm. This is a great and charming city to see and visit.

Here are a couple of suggestions. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see many items on Stockholm, Copenhagen, etc., for your upcoming cruise. SECOND, do a search on this board by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that is narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking and background on your timing, cruise ship, travel party, personal interests and travel style, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Thanks. I think our Stockholm plans have been totally changed now, so I may only need bus transport in and out of the city center. It may not even be worth it to get a transport card. What do you think? Can I just get a ticket good for two trips?

Plan:

Bus 76 from Frihamnen to Slottsbacken

Explore Gamla Stan & Kungstradgarden areas.

Walk to Stadhusbron pier (it seems like an ok walk, is it?)

Ferry to Drottningholm

Explore palace, gardens, chinese pavilion

Ferry back to Stadhusbron

Walk to Karl XII:s torg bus stop

Bus 76 back to Frihamnen.

We will get the Ferry/Palace combo tickets when we're there. I guess we'll get the bus tickets at the info kiosk on the dock.

I've cut out touring the Stadhuset altogether, but I don't want to be rushing around the whole time. Besides, we'll be back when my husband gets his Nobel Prize anyhow. :rolleyes:

Wow....GREAT POST.

I'm at a loss though for all the Swedish names. It sounds like you went to places different from what the average first time Sweden tourist sees. Did you not then go to Vasa and walk around and see things on Gama Stan?

Does ANYONE have an opinion on choice between seeing the Palace or the Nobel Museum? How about comparing City Hall to Palace or Nobel Museum.

I'm afraid our day wouldn't let us do much more then that.

Can anyone give Street Names for how you get from Ferry Dock to Palace?

How about from Palace/Gama Stan Street Names to get back to catch the #76

Bus back to Frihamnen?

I too appreciate all the past tourists and the local folks who give so much to us "trying to be brave", do-it-yourself tourists. Thanks.

Wow....GREAT POST.

I'm at a loss though for all the Swedish names. It sounds like you went to places different from what the average first time Sweden tourist sees. Did you not then go to Vasa and walk around and see things on Gama Stan?

Does ANYONE have an opinion on choice between seeing the Palace or the Nobel Museum? How about comparing City Hall to Palace or Nobel Museum.

I'm afraid our day wouldn't let us do much more then that.

How about from Palace/Gama Stan Street Names to get back to catch the #76

Bus back to Frihamnen?

I too appreciate all the past tourists and the local folks who give so much to us "trying to be brave", do-it-yourself tourists. Thanks.

Well, this is just my plan. We go in July. I do plan on walking around the Gamla Stan, but we're not going to do the Vasa museum.

I bought the Eyewitness Travel guide of Stockholm. It has really good street maps. It shows the bus stops (though it doesn't tell you what bus numbers they are). I found the numbers through some other research. The two stops on the Skeppsbron street in the Gamla Stan are #76 stops. The ferry also drops off at the southern point of the Gamla Stan on Skeppsbron. If you walk north (the water on your Right) you'll eventually get to the (on your left) Palace which is at the Northern edge of the Gamla Stan.

Hope that helped. Locals, correct me if I'm wrong.

Skeppsbron :)

How about from Palace/Gamla Stan Street Names to get back to catch the #76

Bus back to Frihamnen?

Skeppsbron :)

I'm not joking. The ferry stop is at Skeppsbron as is the Palace and two bus #76 stops.

Map:

http://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.324356,18.071051&spn=0.009382,0.041113&z=16

Edited by Ultima Thule

Hello

any recommendations for a spa experience for myself...my 15 year old daughter and my sister in law? We would like to try something different as opposed to traditional sight seeing...

WHy not get a swedish massage in sweden????

Thanks

Patty

I just had to find the answer to this question, I've always wondered about this.;)

Sooooo, I went into the next room and asked my wife (a 4th generation native Stockholmer) ...

Al - "Honey, what is a Swedish massage?"

Maria - " I have no idea."

Al - " But, but you go for massage at least once a week, you've been doing it for years ..."

Maria - " Massage is massage, Swedes don't call it "Swedish massage", just massage."

Al - " Ahhhh, like George Costanza, getting that massage that time, you know 'rubbing and touching'?"

Maria - "That's a massage. If the fact that my masseuse is Swedish makes it a Swedish massage, well, there ya go, Swedish massage."

Al - " Thanks for clearing that up darling. Oh, I'm going to quote you on Cruise Critic, ok?"

Maria - " Damn!!!"

:)

Enjoy

Al

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

Thanks for your offer of help.

If one takes the ferry from where the Vasa is and gets off in Gamla Stan,

how long (approximately) is the walk to The Palace?

If it's very long can you take Bus 76 to The Palace stop?

How often does the #76 Bus run?

Thanks.

The ferry also drops off at the southern point of the Gamla Stan on Skeppsbron. If you walk north (the water on your Right) you'll eventually get to the (on your left) Palace which is at the Northern edge of the Gamla Stan.

Thanks for your advice. How long do you think it will take to walk from Ferry to The Palace?

Thanks for your offer of help.

If one takes the ferry from where the Vasa is and gets off in Gamla Stan,

how long (approximately) is the walk to The Palace?.

Some 625 yards walk northwards along the quay.

Hardly worth the effort but teoretically you could use bus 76 for one stop only and you would step off 140 yards from the Palace.

After reaching the Palace there is of course another 250 yards uphill to the gift shop / change of guard

Edited by Ultima Thule

Thanks for your advice. How long do you think it will take to walk from Ferry to The Palace?

As noted, it is a fairly short distance. BUT, up a little hill.

From the harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Royal Palace on the right, the historic Saint Nicolaus Church, or as commonly known Storkyrkan. It is uphill, but not a huge amount.:

StockhPalaceDocking.jpg

Here is a closer look at Stockholm’s Royal Palace and its next-door historic Storkyrkan church:

9-StockholmPalChurch.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

We will be in Stockholm in latter part of August.

We will be staying at the Grand Hotel and were wondering what would be two perfect days in Stockholm? I have done research and am refining our self-made itinerary, however, specfic input would be invaluable! Thank you in advance to anyone who responds...

From this earlier question about the Grand Hotel, here's an example of how this hotel looks. It is super well positioned overlooking the main harbor area with the Royal Palace, etc., nearby. Lots to love and enjoy in Stockholm.

Overlooking the main harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Grand Hotel. From its location, you can see the Royal Palace and other great architecture in this historic area. The Grand Hotel was opened in 1874 and host Nobel Prize winner during the ceremony period.:

StockhGrandHotel.jpg

Connected to the main harbor in Stockholm, here is a view from the bridge to the Vasa Museum of the many different buildings along the grand Strandvagen boulevard. Completed in time for the 1897 Stockholm World’s Fair, it became known as one of the most prestigious addresses in town.:

StockhHarborBldg.jpg

Our cruise ship will dock at Frihammen and was wondering where we could pick up the 24 hour transport card?

I hope to either take bus 76 or ferry to Vasa Museum

Then bus 76 to galma stan-walk around

Then bus 62 or 3 to city hall-walk around

Then take T-bana to Slussen to walk around Sodermalm

We might have to cut out Sodermalm, this is a vigorous schedule.

What bus number would be get back to Frihammen?

Thanks for all your help!

From where is the picture taken of the people on the bridge? Marlyne

We were on a bus after visiting the Vasa Museum. That's why it has a higher angle to see the people. This is the bridge that connects to the island, Djurgarden, where this and other key museums are located. This view is looking west from this bridge. We were doing a brief overview and drive-around of Stockholm on our first day in this charming city.

THANKS, Marlyne, for asking! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Our cruise ship will dock at Frihammen and was wondering where we could pick up the 24 hour transport card?

I hope to either take bus 76 or ferry to Vasa Museum

Then bus 76 to galma stan-walk around

Then bus 62 or 3 to city hall-walk around

Then take T-bana to Slussen to walk around Sodermalm

We might have to cut out Sodermalm, this is a vigorous schedule.

What bus number would be get back to Frihammen?

First, you have to take the bus 76 go from Frihamnen to Vasa Museum, there is no ferry at Frihamnen. As you get off the ship there is a kiosk on the quay where you can buy the transport card, before you walk to the bus stop.

From the Vasa Museum you can either take bus 76, or the ferry, to Gamla Stan.

From Gamla Stan, if you are at the north end of the island, it is only a short walk to the City Hall. No need to take a bus unless you have difficulty walking. I hope you know that it is only possible to go inside if you are with a guided tour.

To go from the City Hall to Södermalm I would prefer bus 3 rather than the Metro.

To go back to Frihamnen you will again use bus 76.

Here is a link to a map that may be helpful. The red line in the map is the route for bus 76.

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&t=h&z=13

From where is the picture taken of the people on the bridge? Marlyne

I did not take the photo, but I have taken the same shot many times. That is from Djurgårdsbron looking back at Östermalm (Strändvägen). That is where some of Stockholm's richest people have apartments.

Al

I gave up on the massage thing....lol I booked the ship tour to the vasa and to the ice bar....Thinking some vodka could have the same relaxation influences as the massage...lol

I asked my wife about it and she said you would most likely have to book ahead to get the massage anyway. I know the Grand Hotel has a nice spa, and so does Sturebadet, but I would not want to just drop in for a rub-a-dub without an appointment.

Have fun

Al

Thanks Terry. My husband and I are big on photography. We were planning to go to Skeppsholmen to take some pictures. It looks like a good place. Marlyne

Lots of great places in Stockholm for picture taking. Much depends on the weather. On sunny days, everything looks so, so much better. You might check out my earlier posting on tips for pictures in the Baltics, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864