Meg and Carol are you there ?????? Newark Question

knarf

Hi Ladies,

This is Frank from Saegertown, PA, remember me.... the one with a hundred questions last April and May. I'm baaaacck...:p I have reservations at the Crowne Plaza in Elizabeth, NJ and plan on taking the Path into NYC for 2 days of sightseeing before our cruise Oct. 30,2009. I can now get rooms at the same price at the Holiday Inn at the airport for this time period. My question for you ladies( and other CC folks) would it be "more gooder" (remember I was the teacher for 43 years) for me to stay at the HI rather than the Crowne. I mean more gooder in the sense of making it easier to catch the transportation to the path and back to the hotel at the end of the day. Are the 2 places about the same for "nice-est"; "safest"- "coze est" :D ??

Thank you for the help..you just know I'll be back again !!

Thank you so much,

Frank

Frank - you're back! First you have to read my review of the Holiday Inn - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=966351&highlight=holiday+inn? I've forgotten - are you coming without a car? It's an important question because Holiday Inn charges for parking.

Holiday Inn is on the north side of the airport next to the Sheraton, which means it is closer to downtown Newark than Crowne Plaza. There is a bus stop on Frontage Rd. just up the street from Holiday Inn. This looks like a better area for walking - Frontage Rd is just a service road for the hotels and a few other places, not a busy Rte 1&9. I don't remember if there are sidewalks, but I bet there are because I'm sure some of the hotel employees come to work on the bus.

Bus 40 runs to Newark about every 20 minutes during rush hour and once an hour during the day. The bus drops you very close to Newark station at Market St. and the station. However, coming back is another issue. The return bus stop is on Raymond Blvd (about a block away). I'm not sure I feel comfortable recommending that you try to find it in the evening and then stand around waiting there for the bus to come. Instead I would recommend going back to bus 62, which leaves from the bus lanes at Newark Station. This bus runs a lot more frequently because it services the airport terminals A, B, and C. I don't think it stops at P4, so you would get off the bus at the first terminal and go upstairs to take the airtrain to P4 (free). At P4 you would get the free shuttle back to the Holiday Inn.

Bus 40 also goes to Jersey Gardens Mall, so if you came back to the hotel early and wanted to go out in the evening, you could ride down to the mall and walk around (movies, shops, fast food). Remember that whatever hotel you stay at, you are pretty much a captive of that hotel for meals, so I recommend eating dinner before you return. Also, be sure you travel with a senior citizen ID to get the reduced fares and have plenty of change for the exact fare buses.

I've not stayed at the Crowne Plaza so it's hard to compare the two hotels. Crowne Plaza is a 2* and Holiday Inn a 3* on Priceline. Holiday Inn has no pool, but it does have a fitness center. Crowne Plaza also charges for parking.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that the train fare from Newark to NY for seniors is the same as PATH - $1.75. So if you are going to midtown NY, take the train. If you are going downtown, take Path. For the train, NJTransit has vending machines. They will take cash, but a credit card is much easier.

What rate are you seeing for these two hotels for Oct. 28 & 29? I'm seeing a senior rate of $62.10 for Holiday Inn and a rate of $89.10 for Crowne Plaza. Both are cancellable. That's a big difference in price!

Carol....not to jump into your thread but there isn't a sidewalk to the bus stop atthe holiday inn. I was thinking of taking the bus into the city while we were there until I saw the length of walk (I'm lazy lol) and how it was a "beaten path" thru the grass to the bus stop. It's walk able from what it looked like but I didn't try it.

Bbigfoot613 - thanks for the info. Hopefully, perhaps someone who has used the bus will answer. It seems to me that you would walk out the Holiday Inn Entrance, make a left and walk along Frontage Road past the Sheraton. NJTransit specifically mentions a stop at the Sheraton. I remember a pull in area just beyond which looked like it could be a bus stop. Even if there are no sidewalks, walking on Frontage Road could not be as bad as walking on Route 1&9, which is Frank's option from the Crowne Plaza. The bus stop there is not at the hotel either. BTW from previous postings Frank is committed to finding the very cheapest way into Manhattan - he is eligible for a senior discount on NJTransit and this gives him some outstanding fares. I think the bus from Holiday Inn to Penn Station Newark will be $.65 and then $1.75 to NY on either NJTransit or Path. He is all set for a public transportation adventure.

Good morning Carol,

Thanks for getting back to me.

We are flying into Newark, so parking is not an issue.

I have the Crowne booked for $150.59(taxes included) for two nights. The HI would be the same rate that you found.

Thanks for the review of the HI.

My plans for Wed-Oct 28 arrive in Newark about 11:00 AM, go to hotel drop off luggage, go to Midtown NYC to Top of the Rock, Times Square, and see the midtown sights. Go back to the hotel that evening sometime(6-7 PM) after eating in NYC. Then Thursday, the 29th, go into WTC early on the Path, walk "down to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island for that tour, maybe take the Statin Island ferry for a ride, see this area, and then walk back to visit the WTC and then take the Path back to hotel in the early evening.

Another thought and would like your thoughts (please)..Thursday AM take the Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island ferry from NJ(Liberty Park ??) for that tour and then take the "Statue-Ellis" ferry back to Battery Park and work our way 'up' to visit the WTC and then back to Newark !!

Watcha think ?!?!:) Would taking the ferry from Liberty Park(NJ) for that tour be less crowded and be a "more gooder" way than going to Battery Park(NYC) early on Thursday.

Thanks Carol,

Frank

Thoughts for the day:

If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled ?

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular ?

Why is the man who invests all your money, called a broker ??

Bbigfoot613 - thanks for the info. Hopefully, perhaps someone who has used the bus will answer. It seems to me that you would walk out the Holiday Inn Entrance, make a left and walk along Frontage Road past the Sheraton. NJTransit specifically mentions a stop at the Sheraton. I remember a pull in area just beyond which looked like it could be a bus stop. Even if there are no sidewalks, walking on Frontage Road could not be as bad as walking on Route 1&9, which is Frank's option from the Crowne Plaza. The bus stop there is not at the hotel either. BTW from previous postings Frank is committed to finding the very cheapest way into Manhattan - he is eligible for a senior discount on NJTransit and this gives him some outstanding fares. I think the bus from Holiday Inn to Penn Station Newark will be $.65 and then $1.75 to NY on either NJTransit or Path. He is all set for a public transportation adventure.

I resemble that remark :D

Frank

I resemble that remark :D

Frank

LMAO! you aren't alone with that one!

As far as location of the stop it was to the left (when hotel is at your back) and passed the sheraton entrance. If I remember correctly there was a bus stop sign there too. The traffic on frontage wasn't bad any time of the day we ventured out for sightseeing and getting to port.

hi frank.............

i wouldn't want to walk along 1&9 or the frontage road (but that would mean you're less likely to be road kill!)

i am thinking the CP is a little nicer, but with the various brands in the holiday inn/IHG group YMMV...........eek!

come to think of it carol, i remember seeing a bus stop there too...............but my brain is a little busted still.

Frank - I hope you weren't offended by my comment - I just wanted others to know that you are committed to taking the bus/train to NY. Given your logistics, I think going in to Battery Park for the SOL will work better for you. The optimal way to go via NJ seems to be to take the Hudson Bergen light rail from Pavonia or Exchange Place to Essex Street ($1.90) and walk to the Warren St. pier for the quick ferry to Liberty State Park ($1.00). However, you will already be on Path from Newark and you would be in NY before you could even get off at Exchange Place and transfer to the light rail. Even with the walk from WTC to Battery Park, you would be there much sooner. Also, you are going early on a weekday, so I don't think that will be as bad as a weekend.

Hi Carol,( and all)

I wasn't offended at all. Would a cab from HI to Liberty Park be too expensive ?

Thanks for for feed back on my tentative SOL trip.

I know nothing of the layout of NYC/Newark at all, but it seems that going from HI to Liberty Park to catch the SOL ferry would be quicker than going into NYC to catch it at Battery Park, but you know the area, so we will take your advice. Thank you.

Frank

Frank - I really don't know the answer to your question. I've heard that the security line at Liberty Park is less time than the security line at Battery Park and I'm sure that on your dates there will be fewer people going from NJ. Why not give it a try? The ride on the light rail will be quick from Exchange Place to Essex (you could actually walk it) (http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Jersey+City&state=NJ&address=[233-249]+Warren+St&zipcode=07302&country=US&latitude=40.7158&longitude=-74.03925&geocode=STREET) and the ferry ride to the park is just a hop over the channel. http://www.statuecruises.com/commuter-service.aspx. Others have commented that it is possible to return back to NY from Liberty Island. As I recall, they only care about tickets on the way out. On the way back you can go wherever you like.

Hi Carol and BBigfoot613 and Meg

Both of you folks have stayed at the HI at the airport in Newark. I don't know if you folks read the reviews about hotels on www.tripadvisor.com.

I thought I'd read about the HI and wow after reading many of the reviews, it scares you about staying there, but then you read more and some comments are the extreme opposit. Crazy. Since you folks are my expert advisors (of course that is why I am paying you guys big BUCKS-:p I take from your comments that you didn't see anything wrong with the HI. I find this a lot on different boards..such drastic changes in comments about a same topic ???!!:confused:

Thanks ,

Frank

Frank - I really don't know the answer to your question. I've heard that the security line at Liberty Park is less time than the security line at Battery Park and I'm sure that on your dates there will be fewer people going from NJ. Why not give it a try? The ride on the light rail will be quick from Exchange Place to Essex (you could actually walk it) (http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Jersey+City&state=NJ&address=[233-249]+Warren+St&zipcode=07302&country=US&latitude=40.7158&longitude=-74.03925&geocode=STREET) and the ferry ride to the park is just a hop over the channel. http://www.statuecruises.com/commuter-service.aspx. Others have commented that it is possible to return back to NY from Liberty Island. As I recall, they only care about tickets on the way out. On the way back you can go wherever you like.

Hi Carol, in your post you said, "I could actually walk it" Walk from where to where ? When I opened your mapquest..I saw Jersey City If I take the light rail from Exchange Place to Essex -is this where you walk from Essex to Warren Ave to catch the ferry ? On the map(mapquest.I couldn't find Warren Ave ...Bear with me .I not only taught Special Ed, I was Special Ed !!!

Frank

Frank - it's really hard to make hotel recommendations because everyone is looking for something different. No hotel at Newark airport is a "destination hotel" - they are all there to service travelers coming through the airport. They are not vacation destinations. I've stayed at 3 hotels there - the Holiday Inn, the Courtyard, and the Sheraton. The Sheraton was a little nicer, but it was double the price. Not worth it IMO. When the Holiday Inn started with their cheap rates this year, we wondered what was wrong with the hotel. I had an opportunity to stay there with an entourage in April and decided to take a chance. It was fine for us. As I said we were 4 adults, a 3 year old, and a 5 month old. I called that morning and requested that they block out 2 adjoining rooms with 2 beds each which they did. We bussed our own luggage. For $65 we we very happy - the rooms were large and clean and the TV and bathroom worked. However, I had scrutinized the hotel before we stayed. I knew the parking would be $15. I knew the hotel was tricky to find. All the hotels shuttle to the P4 airtrain station to cut down on the airport congestion. If you decide to stay there, you will be arriving early so you will have a chance to inspect the room and ask for another if it is not up to snuff.

As far as the map goes, it's Warren St, not Warren Ave. The ferry looks to be about 10-12 blocks from either the Grove St. or Exchange Place Station. Riding the light rail will bring you 7 blocks closer - probably not worth it. Try Google maps - http://maps.google.com/?q=loc%3A110%20Town%20Square%20Place%20Jersey%20City%20NJ

Hi Carol and BBigfoot613 and Meg

Both of you folks have stayed at the HI at the airport in Newark. I don't know if you folks read the reviews about hotels on www.tripadvisor.com.

I thought I'd read about the HI and wow after reading many of the reviews, it scares you about staying there, but then you read more and some comments are the extreme opposit. Crazy. Since you folks are my expert advisors (of course that is why I am paying you guys big BUCKS-:p I take from your comments that you didn't see anything wrong with the HI. I find this a lot on different boards..such drastic changes in comments about a same topic ???!!:confused:

Thanks ,

Frank

Frank...one thing I have learned since I started cruiseing is this. Take ALL reviews with a grain of salt. Unless it's written by someone you know personally and you are exactly like them, they will have a different view on things. Personally for me the HI at the airport worked in many ways. It was low cost ($55ish after tax), had free shuttles to the airport and convienent ways to go to the city FOR ME. It had a place to sleep and a place to eat. It was clean and the staff, for the most part, was extremely friendly. Would I stay there again? It depends. It was just DW and I for that trip. For my next trip I'm heading into Baltimore with my family (DD7 and DS4 and DW). I'll be needing different things from the hotel then what I needed from the NJ HI. For instance I need a shuttle to/from the pier, pool/activites for kiddos, decent pricing for 4, etc. You get the point. The HI might work for my whole family depending on time of year but It probably wouldn't be at the top of my list. So like carol said..it just depends as everyone's looking for something different in a hotel.

I just happened onto this thread. I grew up in Saegertown and have a not seen for a long time cousin Frank that was a teacher. Knarf, would you also be the person that I know as Sonny?

Joan

I just happened onto this thread. I grew up in Saegertown and have a not seen for a long time cousin Frank that was a teacher. Knarf, would you also be the person that I know as Sonny?

Joan

Oh my gosh..could this be one of the my sweetest cousins that I know..

Joan J-Good... -Br...

Yes, it is Sonny, who is on these boards everynight and who along with his wife, Cathy, LOVE to cruise !!

If you'd like, I loved to hear from you..email me

f and then my last name then gmail dot com

Is this a small world or what.

Excited,

knarf (Frank backwards)

Frank...one thing I have learned since I started cruiseing is this. Take ALL reviews with a grain of salt. So true..I found this out early in our cruise experiences..We found a great rate on the Costa Cruise line , I went on these boards to read about Costa and many many of the reviews were not good at all..but we went anyway(Italian bullhead in me) and we really really liked the ship and the cruise --so from that point on--like you said, read, but keep an open mind !!, Unless it's written by someone you know personally and you are exactly like them,and that is why I asked you and Carol..I know that I am just like you folks..rich-very good looking, wonderful, caring, sweet, etc. etc. :D .

Thank you both for your replys !!

Frank

Frank,

You just seem to be all over the place!

See you on Roll Call!

John and Mary

EXCUSE ME ...do I know you folks ????? from Levittown... friends of Harvey..11th anniversary in Oct/Nov !!:D:p:)

Hi !!!

Godfather

Archived