QM2 Formal wear

Traval

Hello Cunard Cruisers,

I have a friend who'll be on the QM2 to New York with her mother.It's their first cruise.She has asked me for some clothes advice but as I have only done small ship/smart casual trips I can't really help.

She'd like to know if they will need long dresses for formal nights.Do most people wear something different each evening?

All tips/advice much appreciated.

I have only done small ship/smart casual trips I can't really help.

How nice of you to help. Different from for trips, there are three different dress codes on Cunard: Formal, semi-formal and elegant casual.

All of these call for clothes above smart casual on many other lines.

She'd like to know if they will need long dresses for formal nights.

It is not required to wear long dresses but it is most common. The effort of the passengers to dress in dinner suits / tuxedos and evening gowns is an important part of creating the elegant atmosphere Cunard is known for.

Do most people wear something different each evening?

There are various ways to handle this question. There are ladies who bring 50+ long dresses for the 50+ formal nights on a world cruise, and there are ladies who vary the same items in many ways, like a black skirt with different tops or a dress with different shawls.

Thank you for your reply.I shall pass this information on to my friend.I am sure she can be quite inventive with a long black skirt and different tops and pashminas.

Archived