Booking Med cruises w/ Go Ahead Vacations

cruisingmimi

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone has booked any Med cruises through Go Ahead Vacations and what sort of experience they had? Did you have any problems booking the cruise or any follow-up? They have a very restrictive cancellation policy which I am concerned about. You only have 2 weeks after booking to cancel and receive your deposit back. Beyond that point, you lose your deposit ($450.00) if you cancel prior to the final payment due date, and then beyond that there are additional cancellation penalties.

They are offering a new Med land/cruise that I am interested in but have reservations about their cancellation policy. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone that has booked with them.

Thank you.

No, haven't booked through them, sorry. But it depends on the day of travel and how early you book. I think that determines how much (if any) of your deposit will be refunded in case of a cancellation.

I booked through The Vacation Outlet Store twice and their customer service is just simply outstanding. Amy took excellent care of me and we even got upgraded within a few days of booking. She can also arrange any special occasions or packages, such as honeymoon/anniversary package or any kind of gifts on board, such as spa packages or gift certificates.

Let me know if you need a contact number and e-mail me at

PPPOWER96@aol.com

Thanks Cruise4Andy for the info. I will check Vacation Outlet Store out.

Go Ahead Vacations have sent me their brochure & they specifically state in the brochure the deposit for a land/cruise is $450.00 pp & is fully refundable if you cancel within 14 days of booking the tour. Final payment is due 90 days prior to departure date. If you cancel 91 days or more prior to departure, you lose your $450.00 deposit. Then it is proportionate to the # of days you cancel, with 13-0 days losing 100%, 29-14 days 75%; 59-30 days 50%; and 90-60 days is 30%.

So after reading their terms and conditions, I have strong reservations about booking with them. Their price is excellent. However, if something happened & you had to cancel beyond the 14 days of deposit, they have stiff penalties compared to other travel agencies. That is probably why they offer such good prices. I guess I'll have to shop around.

We have been looking for a European cruise for several months now but the prices have increased so dramatically. Costa is the only cruise line that seems reasonable right now. I have heard pros and cons about Costa also. Airfare is way up also so this company seemed to be offering a good deal.

When we booked our next Costa Cruise for January '05 we also opted for the optional Protection Plan, which is only $ 89.00 pp. So if really something unexpected should happen to you or any traveller, you will be covered, including your deposits. In addition it covers you while on board and you should have a medical emergency and you would have to be airlifted off the ship for example. Great protection plan in my opinion.

Like I said, the professionalism, friendliness and knowledge about cruises (especially Costa) is outstanding and I would recommend them (especially Amy of course) to anyone. If you call, make sure to ask for Ext. 37838 (Amy Peele). Just let her know Andy from Florida sent you, she'll remember.

Have fun booking!

Andy

Wow! What a surprise that was yesterday, when I found our ticket already in our mailbox. It's still over 30 days until sailing day, but we got all the confirmations, tickets, boarding passes, cabin assignments, excursion, itinerary, etc. already.

I recall the last time we booked through them, they had an equal great and fast service and we had our tickets like 3 weeks before sailing, where other members of our group (which booked through a variety of travel agents) got their tickets just before cruising (6-10 days prior).

So again, I highly can recommend Amy Peele, as she does an outstanding job!

Way to go Amy, keep up the great work!

Hi Cruise4Andy,

That's great news! Thanks for the recommendation of Vacation Outlet Store. I will definitely check them out and contact Amy when we make our decision. We are wavering back and forth about cruise lines, itineraries, etc. Airfare to Europe has been very high but I am hopeful that rates will decrease after the first of the year.

Hope you have a great cruise! Please post a cruise report after you return so we can see how much fun we missed! LOL. I know you are a seasoned Costa cruiser.

Happy New Year to all! Let us all remember our servicemen and all those caught in the devastation of the Tsunami. My heart goes out to all of them.

Cruisingmimi:

Yeah, Amy is really THE best! And before I knew Amy, this comany was equally great in service and dedication.

I am getting more and more exciting... exactly 1 month from today and we're off! (and not to see the wizard... ROFL)

There are some really great airline fares to Europe, but keep the exchange rate to the Euro in mind. Pretty darn expensive over there right now.

We went to Austria and Germany three years ago, that's when they still had their own currencies and we had a blast for pennies on the dollar. But that has changed a lot since then, and now it's the other way around.

I certainly will write a detailed report (and I mean detailed - LOL) after we return in February.

Happy New Year, and God Bless America!

Hi Cruise4Andy,

Yes, the European exchange rate stinks right now! LOL. We went to Ireland in October and we literally got creamed w/ the exchange rate. We got some fabulous deals on hotels, etc. but after all was said and done, we paid through the nose after we got back home and looked at our credit card and how much more we actually paid! But it was worth every penny. It was a fabulous trip for us. There were 7 family members that made the trip. We have relatives over there and we had the best time with them. Boy did we party! The Irish sure know how to entertain. They love the Americans also!

As you mentioned, you have to bear that in mind when booking a European trip. You just have to decide whether it's what you really want.

The Europeans are flocking over here right now because they are making out like bandits with the exchange rate!

I say, "go for it".

I'll stay over here and enjoy some cruising for right now, but we are definately planning to go back to Europe soon. Grew up over there and lived there for over 20 years, so it's nice to go back once in a while. My wife enjoys it a lot as well!

Have a wonderful and blessed New Year!

Archived