Book a tour with "Phabulous" Phil Lafeyette in Jamaica

CorinnaOAR

Hi all!

We just got back from a Caribbean cruise Dec 12. It has taken me awhile to get back on track and be able to wind down from unpacking, getting back to work, etc. I am finally here to rave about how wonderful of a tour Phil is!!

We took his tour in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. It was Dunns River Falls and Water Tubing. He is VERY leniant and will do whatever you agree on. He is such a refreshing tour guide. You learn SO much. The tour went something like this -

You have ~2 hours at Dunns River Falls to either run around, take pictures, climb the falls, shop, hang out, etc. From there, we went to a river to go water tubing. It was about 10-15 minutes away. On the way, he made all of us think of nicknames with adjectives before our first name. I was Clueless Corinna and Caring Corinna at a different point. My boyfriend was Jolly Jay.. thanks to me :D . He made us all feel very comfortable with each other. We were one 'happy Jamaican family'. Water tubing was awesome! Its kinda like a lazy river but there are a few itty bitty hills/rapids you get to go over. its very fun. Not at all scary. then we got to go to SUCH a good restaurant and the view was incredible!!! He gave us the chance to snorkel, jetski, rent boats, swim, etc there but I think we were all famished so we ended up eating and hangin out. We then got a tour of a residential area and learned SO much about Jamaica. It was SO interesting b/c when we were in the other ports, I learned nothing about their culture, life, education, etc. I liked the variety of this tour and Phil is VERY knowledgable. We asked him many questions and he had an answer for everything. I have never met anyone so proud of where they live. He is a true Jamaican and one to be proud of :) . At the end of the tour, he took us thru a 'ferngully', rainforest type area and to a small roadside stand with a 'kitchen garden'. It was so awesome. He showed us all of the plants, fruits, vegetables, etc that they grow. He even let us smell stuff. (NOT ANYTHING ILLEGAL :lol)

I would highly recommend Phil for a tour. It is a very good deal, knowledgable, fun, and he is ONE funny dude! Ja Mon!!!! He even will personally answer all of your questions via email.

I hope I have influenced a few to check his tour out. You wont be disappointed. I will definitely book another tour with him if we go back to Jamaica!

take care cruisers! :p

Phil's website is

http://www.phil-lafayette-tours.com/

We had a wonderful day with him in early November...and received a lovely email from him yesterday wishing us a Merry Christmas..he even remembered specific things about us and referred to them in his email. He definitely cares for his customers and wants them to have a great time.

we have e-mailed each other back and forth 3 or 4 times in the last week or so. hes so awesome. he really does care. it sounds silly, but its so true. He loves what he does and I think that is important. Makes the tour that much more fun! :D

Happy Holidays and have a wonderful New year!

Hi - I've heard so many good things about Phil that we have booked with him during our cruise on January 20th. We have also booked the Dunn River / Tubing tour at $50 each. My question is how is payment handled. I assume Phil wants cash. Do we pay Phill the whole amount and he handles admission fees or do we pay the fees ourselves and pay the remainder to Phil at the end. (I understand that lunch is not included and we would pay that ourselves).

Thanks in advance for you help. I can't wait to go!!

I just returned from a tour with Phil 12/24. I can only agree with everything the original poster said. Our tour was pretty much the same and we had a great time. Ocho Rios was our favorite port--we definitely had the most fun there.

It was just my husband, daughter and myself in our group but after dropping us off at the falls, Phil went back to the port and picked up another group from another ship. Phil's daughter stayed with us to make sure everything went smoothly. While the other group did the falls, Phil dropped us off for some shopping. Both groups went tubing together. Phil worked hard coordinating everything.

We paid the admission fees directly ($10 for the falls and $20 for tubing) the remaining $20 (plus tip) went to Phil in cash at the end of the tour.

Phil's van will hold somewhere between 19-21 people...but usually he doesn't have it full. We had 8 in our group but he will do a tour for only two if that is all that book with him. You might not know everyone in your group but, by the end of the tour, you are sure to have made some new friends. We really enjoyed our day with him.

I think it was about 45 minutes to an hour. It is a very laid back float, a couple of rougher spots, but certainly no "white water adventure" Think of a lazy river in a unbelivable tropical setting. Lots of vegetation...very relaxing. Large inner tubes with fiberglass bottoms (no danger of falling out) Two guides were with our group of 8. They swim the entire length making sure you stay to the center of the river and pushing you if you get stuck on the edge. Lots of fun...would do it again in a heartbeat. If you are used to white water....you might be disappointed...but we loved it.

I have a question about the Falls and River Tubing.

My husband is a total non-swimmer. Basically he's terrified of the water. Would this NOT be an excursion for him? I really would love to try this excursion (I love the water) but I also don't want to go alone.

Thanks

First, I am sure your husband would enjoy other parts of the tour...Phil takes you to areas around Ochos Rios, he took us through the city, past schools, explained the history and symbols of Jamaica, up the hill, (and stopped so we could shoot photos of our ship (Century) in the harbour, through a road where many ferns grow (Fern Gully) to a small garden area where local plants are grown. Depending how many are on the tour, Phil will also customize it...perhaps spending a bit less time at the water activities. You will learn so much about Jamaica from Phil.

Now, about the water activities...it really depends how "terrified" of water your husband is. If you mean terrified as in "can't stand to be near water...shaking in your boots terrified...then hewouldn't enjoy the water part. He could stay with Phil while you do the water parts...visiting with Phil is a lot of fun...perhaps Phil would show him a few extra things while he waited. Also, if he apdi the Dunn River falls admission, he can walk up the stairs next to the falls and photograph you while you enjoy the falls. It's really nice to have someone taking pictures of you....because you get a totally different angle of photos from the stairs. You are never so close to the water to be frightened by it when you are on the stairs Do take a water proof camera with you into the falls climb because the guides will use it to take photos of you.

If however, you mean, frightened of water, but able to be in water he might do OK . At the falls, the water where you climb is never over knee depth. the only frightening thing might be that you slip and fall, but you certainly have no fear of drowning or anything like that. In the water tubing, you might get spashed on as you get into the tube, but the tube has a fiberglass bottom and you are never really in the water. On climbing out of the tube you again would be in water below knee depth, but you only wade a few steps to shore. It is not a "white water" type of experience but more a lazy river experience. With the tubing you could evaluate it when you get there and decide.

I would highly highly recommend Phil Lafayette's tour. He is a very compassionate understanding guide who absolutely loves Jamaica and people. Let us know how it goes.....glad to hear you are on my favourite ship and .... Happy 50th birthday!

Van thanks for the comments.

I think hubby's of the "shaking in your boots" kinda scared, but he sometimes does water activities with me because he knows I want to spend the time with him (and him with me). I'm sure he'd rather stay high and dry.

Phil sounds like the way to go, and that way Hubby and I can see Jamaica together, but still both enjoy it!

I'll let you know how we do, but we still have to wait 3 months! <sigh>

• 1 year later...

I agree 1000 % with the original poster and all those who have posted about phil being totally awsome!! Best tour ever anywhere I have been on.

I didn't do the River Tubing not because of the water, but I didin't like the looks of the possibility of snakes which Phil laughed at so I and an older lady stayed with him and enjoyed his history and discussing his island. The locals ran to there homes to get us ladies a drink when we mentioned we were thirsty...how friendly and polite they all were..

If you want a beautifull fun filled informative relaxing day and really get to know about Jamaica and understand the smells and sights you see, go with Phil, your safe and secure in his care.

We are cruising the eastern caribbean in April this year, I only hope my private tours I have booked there are 1/2 as good as Phil and I will be happy.

Debbie

Was with Phil last week, what a WONDERFUL person. He is flexible on his tours, tell him what you don't like or want to do and he handles the rest. Our group was six, two different ships about five minutes after you get in van, Phil breakes the ice and blends the group and you just became a family. Great experience. I enjoy plants, he knew the names, and I do mean exact names, of every one of then. He let us smell allspice, wow. You just can't beat a day with Phil.

Patty

Archived