Why just two SZs on Vista class ships

abb4k

Does anyone happen to know why there are only two SZ cabins on Vista class ships? Why not just combine them with the SYs into a single category?

On a related topic, does anyone have any recommendations for specific SY cabins -- either ones to specifically request, or ones to specifically avoid?

Thanks!

Does anyone happen to know why there are only two SZ cabins on Vista class ships? Why not just combine them with the SYs into a single category?
I hope you get an answer to this, because I've wondered about it too. :D They definitely want two SZ and not all SY, though, because consider this: On Oct 10 the only two SZ on the Eurodam, 10005 and 10006, will be changed to a new designation of SU. At the same time they will take two of the six SYs, 5093 and 5098, and make them the only two SZ!

At one time I thought HAL used them (and the four VH) as a come-on to get people to book them as guarantees instead of trying to sell higher categories. But - every cruise I looked at in Nov and Dec has the SZ, VH, and HH categories closed! Okay, maybe they are sold or oversold? I started looking at cruises all the way out to Oct 2010 - and everything I looked at has all the HH, VH, and SZ closed.

So - to expand the OP's original question: does anyone know why there are just 2 SZ that can't be booked? Or can you really book them through a TA or by calling a HAL PCC?

jtl513,

Exactly!

And what would make the SY directly across the corridor more "valuable" than the SZ on the other side of the ship?

If you're talking about 6117 and 6108, there is one slight difference there: 6108 is HC accessible.

Holland doesn’t block selling the SZ cabins, but they don’t make them available for holding as group space. If the agency you are working with holds SS space it will be selling at the same price as an SZ so you won’t see them listed on the big on line agency web sites.

The SZ are also popular with anyone who has ever sailed in one of them. If they don’t care about the location (furthest from mid-ship and lack of privacy on the veranda) they will go for the extra space. Because of their limited availability they book up early.

If you are will to pay the SS price for an SZ you’ll probably be able to get one if they haven’t already been booked by someone else. If you want the extra space go for the SS on the Navigation deck. I’ve had one of these before. The extra space was nice. The noise from the Lido isn’t an issue because they are under an area with carpet and fixed seating.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

HAL – Westerdam, September 6, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

I have a friend who sailed in a CA and got a good look at the two SZ's on the Eurodam. She seems to remember that there is no glass looking forward as in the CA's and it also have a much smaller veranda with solid steel instead of plexiglass railings. Also, it has no sofa bed just a loveseat. I suspect they hold these 2 cabins in order to fulfill SS guarantees.

She seems to remember that there is no glass looking forward as in the CA's ...
Correct - but that mistake will be fixed in the Nieuw Amsterdam, which will have them in 10005 and 10006.

I suspect they hold these 2 cabins in order to fulfill SS guarantees.

SS is higher, so an SZ will not be given for an SS guarantee.

We recently had an SZ cabin 6052 on the Oosterdam. It was a great cabin. It was an angle cabin which was larger than an SS and the balcony was great...larger and also angled. We loved this cabin and would book it again in a heartbeat. We did an upsell about a week before the cruise from a VA to the SZ for $400 total.

Regards,

Arlene

• 8 months later...
I have a friend who sailed in a CA and got a good look at the two SZ's on the Eurodam. She seems to remember that there is no glass looking forward as in the CA's and it also have a much smaller veranda with solid steel instead of plexiglass railings. Also, it has no sofa bed just a loveseat. I suspect they hold these 2 cabins in order to fulfill SS guarantees.

I know this is an old thread but I figured since I just found it in a search others might as well and at least for one ship I can add some clarification:

We just got off the Oosterdam where we stayed in an SZ and it had plexiglass railings, it had a sofa bed as well. We had one table on the angled verandah, 4 chairs and two foot stools. It was a fabulous cabin and I would definitely book it again.

Are you saying that there is no separate shower in SZ 6117? pj

Yes there is: Separate shower and the bathtub has jets.

I would post pictures, but I only filmed it.

And two sinks and vanities.

2i7ssn.jpg

I am talking Oosterdam, I cannot comment on any other ship's SZ rooms.

Yes there is: Separate shower and the bathtub has jets.

I would post pictures, but I only filmed it.

And two sinks and vanities.

2i7ssn.jpg

I am talking Oosterdam, I cannot comment on any other ship's SZ rooms.

Thank you so much, I was really worried for a minute since I booked that cabin on the Westerdam! The Westerdam is identical to the Oosterdam so it should be fine. Am I right in assuming that the SZ is basically the same as an SY except it has a different shape due to the bump out of the balcony? pj:)

Archived