Questions about train from Anchorage to Whittier

jmarks

Can someone help with info about the train? I need to know where the train depot is located in Anchorage, and how early you should arrive. We have a reservation on the Glacier Discovery route which leaves Anchorage at 10:00 am, arriving in Whittier at 12:05 pm. Thanks.

Can someone help with info about the train? I need to know where the train depot is located in Anchorage, and how early you should arrive. We have a reservation on the Glacier Discovery route which leaves Anchorage at 10:00 am, arriving in Whittier at 12:05 pm. Thanks.

I took that train 7/4/09. I'm not sure where the depot is located but it's not more than 20mins from the airport. We came in the day before and our hotel offered a free shuttle to the train. We got there at 9:30am which was more than enough time to check our luggage so it would go directly to the ship and get our boarding passes for the train.

Thanks so much for the info. The website does give a location for the depot but I couldn't find anything about when to arrive. Does the luggage really go directly to the boat? That's wonderful.

Yes, the luggage does go directly to the ship.....check it in at the depot....see it next at your cabin!

Yes it really does! We had booked a precruise excursion to see glaciers with Allen Marine Tours that left Whittler about 1:00 and returned about 6:30. The Spirit was not sailing until nine. Our luggage was not a problem b/c of the transfer from the train.

The companies really have this worked out in Whittier. I was there on Saturday waiting to go on a class field trip and had some time to watch the cruise ship operations for arriving passengers.

For those on the train, the "depot" is right across from the entrance to the cruise terminal and ship. Those going on a day cruise were immediately picked up by shuttle. Luggage was removed seperately and taken directly to check-in by the cruiseline staff.

We were on Prince Willam Sound Cruises and passengers were immediately transfered to PWS Cruises by bus. Quick check-in at the office and then down the ramp to the tour boat. When they returned, it was back on the bus with a transfer to the cruise ship.

Companies up here have this down to a science. Very impressive to watch "behind the scenes".

Thanks so much for the info. The website does give a location for the depot but I couldn't find anything about when to arrive. Does the luggage really go directly to the boat? That's wonderful.

From the Alaska Railroad's FAQs in regards to when you should arrive

Checking In

After booking a reservation online or over the phone, what do I need to bring to the depot at time of check in?

It is best to bring your online confirmation printout or the itinerary if you booked over the phone. If you do not have either, bring your booking confirmation number. Those 18 and older also need a government-issued photo ID at check in.

If we received tickets by mail, or picked them up at the depot ahead of time, do we still need to check in?

Yes. Passengers still need to check in for their train trip at least an hour prior to departure. We need to check the identification of everyone over 18 years and issue boarding passes.

Is it really necessary to check-in for the train an hour early?

Yes. Just like the airlines, we are regulated by the TSA. Passengers are required to check-in at the ticket window and show a government issued photo ID (for those age 18 and older) to receive boarding passes. If you have luggage, it must be checked through to your destination. We require passengers to check-in at the ticket counter no later than one hour early at the Anchorage and Fairbanks depots, and 30-45 minutes at Talkeetna, Seward or Denali. At depots, boarding for all trains occurs 20-30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure. If departing from a location with no ticket window (Portage, Whittier, Girdwood, Wasilla), passengers are required to be there 15 minutes prior to departure to wait for the train to pull up. At these depots the check-in will be with the conductor on the train. Reservations and seat assignments may be altered if passengers and baggage are not checked in 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived