Veendam Cat. B 144, anything I should know?

We are cruising for 12 days around the horn, starting in Valparaiso, and wanted the port side for the views. None of the aft staterooms with verandahs at a slightly lower price were available...Does that mean they are really booked or does HAL just try to fill these verandah suites midship first? Anyway, looks good..anything I should know? Anybody stay here before? Excited! Thanks.

I am wondering whether they are really taken already or if somehow HAL just isn't making those available till the pricier ones fill. My suspicious mind! ;-)

In all the years I've been sailing HAL, and reading this board, I have never heard of any such thing. I suspect the less expensive cabins are either booked, or are held for group bookings.

We had the pleasure of sailing in this stateroom to Alaska last year. I just loved it, surprised at how much bigger it was than a comparable room on a Vista Class ship. It was really great. Loved the depth of the balcony and appreciated the steel wall dividers between the next balcony, felt much more private. We were very comfortable, and provided with the nicest, most plush fleece blankets for use outside, not that you'll need those where you are headed.

The bathroom was slightly worn, but that should all have been taken care of since her drydock. I didn't think I would like the smaller ship, but found it was exactly the right size for us and the service was out of this world, I wouldn't hesitate to sail again.(which I am actually, and very happily off to Alaska again on the Statendam)

We were very happy with our accomodations, hope you will be as well. Enjoy your cruise.

Archived