Silver Shadow Panama Canal Jan22 to Feb 5

radiogal880

This will be our first SS cruise and other than being SO EXCITED, I'm wondering if anyone else is going on this particular cruise. Also, how formal are the formal nights on SS? :confused:

This cruise line was highly recommended by a lovely couple that can afford anything and said SS was the best.

Any suggestions, hints or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Hello and Aloha,

My wife and I embark in LA after you have enjoyed your voyage. I have posted and had 102 reads and not a single reply so I just had to say ALOHA to your post. We look forward to a wonderful voyage on Silver Shadow.

Spook1

Meow..Wow, thank you so much for the informative reply. I don't know how you did it, but now I'm even more excited about our trip. My husband is relieved it isn't required to wear a tux on the formal nights and I, not owning or care to own a ball gown, am similarly relieved at your comments.

My husband and I are both allergic to caviar, and lobster (and crab...poor us!!) so no problem with not having free flowing caviar.

Spook1..how lovely to have such a warm welcome! I hope you have a wonderful cruise also!

• 1 month later...

Hello radiogal880!

We have just signed on for this voyage thru the Panama Canal, so it appears we now have at least 4 of us. Hopefully as our embarkation day gets closer we'll have a lot more activity on this thread.

This will be our first time on Silversea and appreciate all the information provided by "meow". We have been thru the canal more than once but are still looking forward to going again. It is definitely the highlight of the trip and this itinerary has a couple of stops at ports we've not visited before.

We visited your part of the country back in June, flying into Portland then driving down the coast all the way to San Jose, then went into Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Lassen, and Crater Lake Nat'l Park. We stayed at Crater Lake for a couple of nights and still could not drive all the way around the lake because of the snow. We like making a trip out West almost every year.

At any rate, it's time to start looking a shore excursions for this cruise. We look forward to meeting you in January. :)

Just got off Silver Shadow that you will be taking to Panama Canal. It is a very nice ship. You asked about how formal. Most of the passengers where dressed, but not formal gowns. My observation was that most women wore black pants with nice tops to go with it. Like a black silk pant with a dressy top. I took one pair or black silk/rayon pant and three different sweaters to wear on different nights. ONe had some silver beading on it, one had some gold lamme, etc. The informal nights, another pair of black pants and some other tops. You can dress things up with jewlery. There were some dresses, but not real formal. The men wore dark suits and ties on formal nights. I saw one or two tuxes, but that was all.

Have fun.

Melon

• 1 month later...

Hi, Radiogal880, Hubby & I will be joining you on the cruise. We have been on Silversea once - Alaska cruise. Absolutely loved it. I'm looking at shore excursions now. Tough to decide. Looking forward to it.

We just spent three weeks on the Shadow doing Alaska and Mexico b2b cruises. She opted to wear formal gowns, and he wore a tux (and tied his own tie). We were certainly not alone. However, some of the men did wear dark suits and ties on formal nights. Women have a lot of flexibility, and you certainly won't be out of place with dressy pants and a sparkly top.

Above all, don't worry too much about clothing. It's all about the people.

• 2 months later...

Hello! My husband and I are also taking this cruise. My wonderful in-laws are treating us! They have been onboard since 1/3/2010 for the first leg of the journey and we will join them in Fort Lauderdale on 1/22/2010. They have traveled extensively on Silversea; however, this is our first cruise of any kind. I'm really excited!

It's a lot to think about to be away from home and work for so long, so I have a lot to do leading up to the trip, so I'm really looking forward to relaxing! We are both very active so we are having fun selecting our onshore excursions. Happy planning and I hope to meet you onboard!

My husband and I will be traveling with my parents on the Shawdow from Fort Lauderdale- It will be a very nice -long- trip! We are long time Silversea fans and have been through the Panama Canal once before...very interesting. At least the last time they had a running narrative on deck; however, we were traveling the other direction, so we started from the Bridge of the Americas.

I am looking forward to the several days at sea! You may find us in the Observation Lounge doing the daily puzzle or on the pool deck playing Train Dominos later in the day. I hope to make it to the fitness center once a day also!

Archived