Just back from 7day Carnival Splendor Mexican Rivera cruise

jtb123

Also, did you happen to grab margaritas in Cabo, and if so any place you'd rave about?

All the tourist types headed straight to Cabo Wabo but we had one and they were like 8 dollars. :eek: So i dont have any recommendations other then i wouldnt go there.

We did most of our shopping in Mazatalan and Cabo. Don't really know where it's best. Lots of shops in all the ports. In Puerta Vallarta we went to the Paradise resort and got a day pass. Really great place for kids. Cabo Wabo is known for their drinks.

We'll be Crusing the Mexican Riviera in October.

Our Ports

Acapulco, ZIHUATANEJO/IXTAPA....MANZANILLO, MEXICO...

Would like some info on Restaraunts and Bars near ports. Also, Cigar stores or Cigar bars.

Thank you

All the tourist types headed straight to Cabo Wabo but we had one and they were like 8 dollars. :eek: So i dont have any recommendations other then i wouldnt go there.

I will second that about the Cabo Wabo. Drinks don't come cheap at the tourist hot spots in Cabo. Try Solomons at the Tesoro, at least you can view the tourists walking by as you sip your $4 drink.

Want to take the family on a Mexican Riviera cruise Thanksgiving week or week of or week after Christmas. Yes, I know, the most expensive time to sail. I just need general tips on snatching a good deal and/or the best cruise line/ship to sail.

The day pass for the Paradise resort was $75 for 2 adults and 2 kids 8 and 10. It included use of all their facilities zsnc towels. You have to pay extra if you want drinks or food but it was reasonable. Great pool with a big alligator water slide. The kids loved it. They are on the beach and have huts and chairs. The water was very warm and it was safe to swim in. They have all kinds of activities that you can participate in.

The carnival splendor is a fairly new ship aqnd it was beautiful. Done mostly in Pinks, a woman must have decorated it. The kids programs are great, Food good. Good selection in the buffet. Has 3 pools one of which is for adults only. Has a water slide and minature golf. Lots of jacuzzis. Has the friendlist staff that I have seen in a long time. I never passed a worker without them smiling and some form of greeting. Cabins are not the biggest but sufficient. Hope this helps

I have a question regarding the motion of the ship. I've sailed before on the Pride to the Mexican Riviera and didn't have a problem getting sick. Last August we sailed on the Glory and had terrible motion sickness. Thanks for the help.

here's a question.

Splendor is a new ship. It is large, and has a giant tv screen over the pool (new + large + giant pool tv = GREAT). Why does this fine ship have a lower rating (& cheeper cabin fares) for our mex riviera area than say the Mariner of the Seas and Sapphire Princess.

Where are the faults???

???

We were recently talking with friends who are in our age group, (early fifties), who sailed on the Splendor to the MR and didn't like it. They thought it was too rowdy and rather a party ship. They kept looking for a serene place to curl up with a book and couldn't find one.

They especially complained about the band being way to loud in the pool area. :confused:

We were surprised to hear this as we had been planning to try the Splendor to MR. Now we have second thoughts.

We are booked on the Sapphire Princess over Thanksgiving week with our extended family. :D

Ninner, I'm sorry, but for Thanksgiving week on the Sapphire the bargains are gone. We booked in May, then took advantage of a price drop in our category in June. Since then balcony cabins have gone up and the price for an inside cabin is staying right at $499. plus taxes & fees. Our TA could not even get us a reduced rate for 2nd and 3rd passengers for our grandchildren because the ship is filling up and evidently they feel that they don't need to discount it any further. The sailing the 1st week of December is a good deal. (But, the kids are in school. :rolleyes:)

Good Luck!:D

latterdayesther

Will be glad to answer any questions anyone might have.

I am booked for Splendor 9/6 (can't wait)! I am trying to make plans for Puerto Vallarta. Do you remember what the local time was there when you arrived? We are interested in booking a tour that starts at 9:00 am local time, I can not get straight answer from anyone about the time difference. I've called Carnival and they told me ship time and local time were the same and the tour company keeps telling me we arrive at 8:00 am. Someone on a board said 10:00 am!

Thanks!

I am booked for Splendor 9/6 (can't wait)! I am trying to make plans for Puerto Vallarta. Do you remember what the local time was there when you arrived? We are interested in booking a tour that starts at 9:00 am local time, I can not get straight answer from anyone about the time difference. I've called Carnival and they told me ship time and local time were the same and the tour company keeps telling me we arrive at 8:00 am. Someone on a board said 10:00 am!

Thanks!

The time the cruise line quotes for arrival time is local time (and they are early most every time, usually around dawn), ships time is 1 hour behind. No worry, you will be fine. PV is a quick pier exit and tours work on passenger available time. It is a real interesting sight to watch up on deck as a huge cruise ship silently and gently ports at dawn, as to not wake passengers; an amazing engineering feat

On the pier at PV

IMG_9238.jpg

Paradise Village, yep, to get to Paradise Village, walk to the walmart in the center right of the pic below, find a nice cab for about $10 (3+ folks) and head to Nuevo Vallarta (which is located towards left of pic direction). A stop by the Grand Mayan for a short self guided walking tour at the end of the day is also great

IMG_9238.jpg

NuevoPVGoogleEarthNPV2.jpg

Paradise Village

CIMG2362-1.jpg

CIMG2369-1.jpg

CIMG2375-1.jpg

Grand Mayan (giant wave pools in bottom of pic)

GrandMayan2NPV.jpg

Hspncelvis, the ports you are going to are totally different. In Acul. we have done Senor Frogs, very quiet that day. Last year went to a "locals" beach on a city bus. Paulupas, drinks, food, local band, had a blast!

In Zaut. We have gone across the bay to a nice beach bar. Last year just walked down to the end of the shopping area, found a great place, TaTa's. Good food, drinks, ocean. There used to be a great bar called Steves, but it's gone now.:(

Manz. you have to take a bus to town. We have been to the big white building with ironwork on the main street.(?) and also a little upstairs bar called Manzagrillo's. It looks over the main street. On a side street is a friendly sidewalk place with umburellas(sp). Killer Margaritas!

No idea about cigar stores.

The time the cruise line quotes for arrival time is local time (and they are early most every time, usually around dawn), ships time is 1 hour behind.

I've only been on a few cruises so won't claim to be an expert but for all of them the arrival time was always time on the ship. Same for departure time. It may happen to be the same depending on if clocks were adjusted and the time zone the port is in. But time posted in not necessarily local (land) time based on my experience.

Archived