Sandy Bay - Natural Aquarium Snorkel Trail

craigandmary

Does anyone know how far Sandy Bay is from the new Carnival Pier? Is the snorkel trail good? Thanks for any input, going on Carnival Dream in Jan 10

craigandmary, you're with us on this cruise. The new pier is about 3-3.5 miles north east of Coxen Hole toward French Harbor. Sandy Bay is on the other side of the island. Here's a link to a map. The new pier is where the map reads Dixons Cove (name has been changed to Mahogany Bay)

http://www.roatanonline.com/maps.htm

I think someone on these boards did a Victor Bodden tour there recently. It's probably under a Vicotr Bodden thread. But this sure looks interesting from the link watchdiva posted.

craigandmary, Ithink the snorkel trail you mentioned is the one at Bay Island Beach Resort. This is about 3.5 miles from Coxen Hole. The area is called Spooky Channel. If you go to Google Maps and then put "spooky channel roatan honduras" into the search box you will get a great satelite view. I just returned from a week long stay in the house at the end of the Sunnyside pier. The snorkeling was incredible. I can tell you we never saw a single cruiser there the whole week. You should have the place to yourselves. I'm afraid I can't tell you anything about the snorkel trail because we never saw it. As you can see from the satelite map there is a lot of reef, right off shore. If you have your own gear I suggest you take a cab to Bay Island Beach Resort then walk down to the Sunnyside pier and just swim out to the reef. This will cost you nothing. The prices on the BIBR website seem high, I think if you ask, you can get them to give you a discount if you want to use their facilities. Be sure to use bug spray if you go to any beach other than West Bay. The sand flies will get you and you won't even know it for 1 to 3 days later.

Have fun, floater

Archived