Napa Valley Wine Tours from SanFrancisco?

cecil1

Hello, we are jumping ship from the Splendour of the Seas out of Vancouver to Alaska, then back to San Diego, -in San Francisco, because we haven't been there.

Has anyone a good report on one of the wine tours from SF up the valley? There are just so many, I don't know where to start. So I thought that I would ask for a recommendation.

Thanks for your time, and expertise.

Barbara

If you want to just drive through the valley to look - a bus tour is fine.

Very, very few wineries allow buses and generally they are more tourist focused, less fine wine focused (if you catch my drift!) Most do not have facilities for a group of people - they have small tasting rooms.

I wouldn't recommend multiple winery tours - unless you want to hear how wine is made over and over again. Most folks go for tastings and maybe one tour - selecting a winery that has a unique facility (Sterling Vineyards has a tram, Far Niente amazing gardens, Domaine Chandon has an awesome restaurant, etc.) Two to three wineries is more than enough for your visit + a stop in the middle for lunch.

Through my work, we've used a number of car, limo and bus services - and we like Mosaic Global Transportation. You can book a sedan/driver for 4-6 hours and select the wineries you want to visit - stop for picnic or lunch and thoroughly enjoy the experience.

Depending on the size of vehicle/number in your party - rates are $70-100/hr (total cost shared by all in your party.) Or you can book their wine country package - I've never done that, so I don't know what that includes. I generally like to just book the car service - and select my stops based on my interests.

You might want to drive up Silverado Trail - then work your way down south via 29. They run parallel and most tours only go up/back 29. Nice to get the full experience!

If you like shopping - there are two outlet malls - one in the town of Napa, and one at north end of valley in St. Helena. I am not much for outlet malls - and find the best shopping in the town of St. Helena. Be sure to stop by Olivier Napa for tastings of their spreads, oils, etc. Makes awesome gifts.

Dining is as much a deal in Napa as the wine - so you might want to think about a picnic gourmet lunch - or if you want a sit down meal. Many choices, just make reservations if you have your heart set on a sit down restaurant to avoid being disappointed or waiting for a table.

If you provide more info - I would be happy to make specific winery recommendations. How many in your party? Any children? What kind of wine do you enjoy?

I ask that because my sister drinks white zinfandel with ice cubes in the glass. So her palate doesn't appreciate fine wine and the experience is lost on her. But, she likes gardens so we can select wineries that will offer something the other appreciates.

If you want to buy wine - think about having it shipped back. I only buy wine from a winery if it isn't available in stores. Wineries often offer discounts if purchasing a case. Generally, if it is a common table wine - you can find it cheaper in Safeway.

I think the perfect wine tour itinerary is this:

- Leave SF at 9am at latest. Wine country gets crowded in summer - 2 lane roads for all traffic - people like you who will be meandering through wine country. It also gets hot in summer (80s normally, although it is not uncommon to top 100 degrees if the fog isn't doing its job) So start at the northern most winery and work your way south where it might be 10 or more degrees cooler during midday.

- Stop at 3 wineries for tastings (one to include a tour that you've prearranged - self guided tours aren't as much fun.)

- Stop for lunch inbetween winery visits. A few lunch ideas: picnic lunch buying your supplies at Oakville Grocery, or enjoy Napa Valley's answer to fast food (fresh and gourmet!) at Taylor's Refresher in St. Helena, or a fine dining experience at Tra Vigne St. Helena or Domaine Chandon in Yountville.

- Have car drop you off in SF at Ferry Building and march into to the wine store with your new wine knowledge! Buy your wine here and have it shipped. They also offer tastings and flights (fee) so you can taste before you buy. Very helpful staff so you could purchase a mixed case and take home a taste of Napa and Sonoma!

- Walk or take light rail back to your hotel or ship. Find out if your cruise line allows you to bring your own wine on board so you can enjoy a little of Napa on your cruise as well!

OK - this make me want to skip work today and go up to wine country! But, off to work I go!

Here's a place to begin your research to help you select which wineries to visit http://www.ilovenapa.com/ Have fun!

Archived