Would you do this - 3 day cruise to nowhere (except Princess Cays) on the Ruby???

Wishing on a star

jtkhelen-

I don't know if I would consider myself a foodie, but I like good food a lot. I feel much the same as you about the some of the resturants that you mentioned.

The food on Princess was for the most part very, very good. One exception was twice my steak was overcooked. I like my cow still mooing, and it seemed to be difficult for them to serve a very rare piece of beef. (I have found this in stateside rest. as well- maybe it has to do with the health codes:confused:).

When I departed from my usual fare, I was always really pleased. The apps were fabulous especially the goat cheese souffle. The salads were always fresh and pretty inventive. The cold soups were delicious (I am a cold soup fan).

The desserts were very good, and on several nights you could have souffles. I love souffle, and they just are not that prevalant in Charlotte, NC, so I really took advantage.

I ate breakfast and lunch almost always in the dining rooms and was not disappointed until the last morning when they brought me soft boiled eggs that were not cooked. Really, really not cooked.:eek:

I hope that you find some foods that really please you and that are different from your usual choices. Enjoy your cruise.

THe first cruise we went on was a short 3 day out of FLL. It's a terrific adult getaway. I don't think you can go wrong for the price, and the Ruby is a great ship. Some suggested the two cruises back to back, thats even better....

What a great introduction to cruising on Princess

If the food is better than the RCI ships and almost as good as Celebrity, we will be content. .
After 2 Celebrity cruises, 5 on RCI, and 7 on Princess, that's EXACTLY how I would personally describe Princess' food, but reasonable minds could differ.

Les

Would you do this as an all adult adult, all inclusive(mostly), getaway with your spouse? It is cheap... balcony as low as $271.00 I think I just saw on one website.

I know nothing about cruising Princess, or the Ruby...

But it looks fabulous.

Would B210, forward on the Baja, deck 11, be a good balcony?

It seems to be the best of the cheapest balcony staterooms available.

It would have the glass balcony, right, so that we could see right out.

I would rather not do a GTY... not much price difference, and might get adjoining room, bad location, etc...

Would we be able to get chairs at the all adult retreat?

Are there different restaurants for assigned dining -vs- anytime?

What about the specialiy restaurants...

How do you get reservations for these...

What else do I need to know?

Sorry to ask so much,

I guess I need a little Princess Cruise 101 for dummies!!!!!

Thanks!

I'd sail on the Ruby anytime, anywhere, and expect to have a fabulous time! I would avoid the front of the ship unless you really love having "sea legs" on land and of course it could be smooth sailings too, but my bad experience that one time at the front of the ship was dizzying so I avoid it like the plague. Plus, it wasn't Princess! :p

Would you do this as an all adult adult, all inclusive(mostly), getaway with your spouse? It is cheap... balcony as low as $271.00 I think I just saw on one website.

I know nothing about cruising Princess, or the Ruby...

But it looks fabulous.

Would B210, forward on the Baja, deck 11, be a good balcony?

It seems to be the best of the cheapest balcony staterooms available.

It would have the glass balcony, right, so that we could see right out.

I would rather not do a GTY... not much price difference, and might get adjoining room, bad location, etc...

Would we be able to get chairs at the all adult retreat?

Definitely avoid forward cabins....motion.For a cheap vacation, you can't go wrong with Princess or Celebrity. You might do a BTB and go 6 days!Restaurants can be booked before you go or on the ship.Contact the cruise line and they will have answers to all your questions

Don't worry about the forward cabins....remember if the front goes up the back goes down. I actually prefer front cabins...less passenger traffic. With the size of the Ruby unless you hit really bad weather motion will not be a problem no matter what cabin you are in. And if the ship is rolling it makes no difference whether you are in the bow,aft, or middle of the ship. Enjoy your cruise!

Tracie ABD and Taxatty,

Thank you SO MUCH for your reassurance. Tracie ABD, it sounds like you and I share the same opinion of food and have almost the same likes and dislikes...I am a "cow still mooing" person too! Usually I have to grill my own at home to get them cooked right for me.

I love cold soups (like from the Spa Cafe on Celebrity) and creative salads so am glad that they are available on Princess too.

We plan to try Sabatini's one night as a trial before we take extended family there on the Golden in May.

Even though I love most cheeses, I have not graduated to being able to appreciate goat cheese. My grandparents retired to raise goats in TN and drinking raw goat milk was horrible to me as a teen (tasted like the goats smelled). I have tried to eat goat cheese, but still I can't enjoy it...sheep milk cheese I like, but as close as I have been able to get. I am willing try again with the goat cheese souffle on Princess...no extra cost so why not. I am excited to try the cheese/wine offering in Vines. Did you try that? Any advice for Vines (pairings, etc.)?

In any case, lounging on a nice large balcony (Caribe deck cabin) in the warm, sunny FLL/Bahamas area with a frozen fruity drink..or 2 will be wonderful compared to cold, Dec. MI. We will be celebrating our anniversary and travelling without our teens so know the trip will be close to perfect even if there were few "foodie" perks. Based on your reviews, sounds like the icing on the cake should be there too!

Thanks again for your posts.

Tracie ABD and Taxatty,

Thank you SO MUCH for your reassurance. Tracie ABD, it sounds like you and I share the same opinion of food and have almost the same likes and dislikes...I am a "cow still mooing" person too! Usually I have to grill my own at home to get them cooked right for me.

I love cold soups (like from the Spa Cafe on Celebrity) and creative salads so am glad that they are available on Princess too.

We plan to try Sabatini's one night as a trial before we take extended family there on the Golden in May.

Even though I love most cheeses, I have not graduated to being able to appreciate goat cheese. My grandparents retired to raise goats in TN and drinking raw goat milk was horrible to me as a teen (tasted like the goats smelled). I have tried to eat goat cheese, but still I can't enjoy it...sheep milk cheese I like, but as close as I have been able to get. I am willing try again with the goat cheese souffle on Princess...no extra cost so why not. I am excited to try the cheese/wine offering in Vines. Did you try that? Any advice for Vines (pairings, etc.)?

In any case, lounging on a nice large balcony (Caribe deck cabin) in the warm, sunny FLL/Bahamas area with a frozen fruity drink..or 2 will be wonderful compared to cold, Dec. MI. We will be celebrating our anniversary and travelling without our teens so know the trip will be close to perfect even if there were few "foodie" perks. Based on your reviews, sounds like the icing on the cake should be there too!

Thanks again for your posts.

You are most welcome. I did not try the wine and cheese pairings at Vines, but my husband did and threw in some sushi to boot. The bartender/somalier was very knowledgable about the wines and cheese. Vines is right next door to the International Cafe which serves a lighter fare: paninis, a delicious chicken salad, a spinich mushroom salad, tapas and gelato(for a nominal charge), pasteries, and expresso-based coffees (nominal charge). You can bring your snacks over to Vines if you choose.

I also forgot to tell you about the Chef's Table (which may not be offered on a 3 day cruise). It is a multi-course meal with extensive wine pairing that costs $75 pp. It was very good and a special treat. On a longer cruise, I would check into this.

If you like escargot you can request it for the following evening from your table waitstaff.

I hope that you enjoy your cruise. I wish that we were going too!

Archived