Transportation from Luton to London

So I'm trying to find the easiest, but cost effective, way of getting from London Luton to the Charing Cross Station (we're staying at The Trafalgar Hilton in Trafalgar Square).

So far, everything I've seen online is confusing me. There's an easy bus that can take us to various stops in London, but none are within walking distance of Trafalgar Square. I have no clue if a taxi is economical or not. I can save about 50-60 euros by flying into Luton, so I don't want to spend more than that on transportation for the two of us.

Thoughts? Advice? Help??

Thanks!

You basically have two public transport options ...

Take the easyBus/Green Line service bus to Victoria then a taxi to your hotel, the taxi should cost about 7GBP

Or take the rail link from Luton to City Thameslink and take a taxi that should be about 6 GBP.

The bus option is cheapest but slower and more unreliable in terms of time taken because of possible road congestion delays. easyBus have an online fare structure similar to low cost airlines, the earlier you book the less you pay. IF you leave it until the day, confusingly there are 3 bus desks, easyBus, Green Line and Terravision all selling tickets for the same bus but at different prices.

The rail option you have to take a shuttle bus from the airport down the hill to the train station. This rail line is subject to disription or even closure at weekends becuase of line upgrades - you'd want o check your dates in advance

I have no clue if a taxi is economical or not. I can save about 50-60 euros by flying into Luton, so I don't want to spend more than that on transportation for the two of us.
There's one thing you should remember above all else: Luton is not London - it's really quite a long way away. A taxi from Luton to London will cost you many times what you say you're saving.

In addition to the local taxi fares given by handfordr, don't forget to factor in the cost of the journey from Luton to London, however you do it. For example, a one-way train ticket is £12.50 per person.

Thanks for the info! For the rail line... where would I find info on closures? We're arriving on a Saturday, so that would concern me.

You can check closures at the url below. If the section between St Pancras and London Bridge is closed you'd get off at St Pancras. A taxi from St Pancras to Charing X is about 15 GBP

First Capital Planned Changes To Trains

There's one thing you should remember above all else: Luton is not London - it's really quite a long way away. A taxi from Luton to London will cost you many times what you say you're saving.

In addition to the local taxi fares given by handfordr, don't forget to factor in the cost of the journey from Luton to London, however you do it. For example, a one-way train ticket is £12.50 per person.

Yeah, I know it's not the most convenient. What would be the transport costs from Gatwick or Heathrow? If the final cost is about the same, it's probably worth saving the time by flying into Heathrow.

Archived