getting around stockholm

We will be in Stockholm in early August on the Norwegian Jewel and I think I have things almost figured out. :rolleyes:

I don't know where our ship docks (how do I find out?), but I think we want to take the HOHO boat to the Vasa Museum first. Hopefully there will be a HOHO boat leaving from near where our ship docks.

Are HOHO boat tickets interchangeable with HOHO bus tickets?

After Vasa we want to go to the Nobel Museum, which I believe is in Gramla Stan. How do we get there from the Vasa Museum? Boat? Bus? Walk? Is the Nobel Museum near City Hall (i.e. within walking distance?)

Then, what's the best way to get from Gramla Stan back to our ship?

Thanks! :)

http://www.stromma.se/en/Sightseeing/Stockholm/Boat-tours/Hop-on-Hop-off/

have a look at this.. it will help you figure out the day..

We just did this in early July. There is a HoHo Boat at the end of the dock where the Jewel berth while there (this is stop E on their map). I'm guessing this may be the only berth they use, but can't be 100pct sure. there are 3 possible options.. to go clockwise and one goes counter clockwise on the map. (does this make sense??).

We started off at about 930am.. stopped in Old Town first.. Made our way through the small avenues and down the main street to the Royal Palace. We got the boat at the Royal Palace stop and went from there to the VASA Museum .. from there back to the ship. We did the Vasa at about 12:00noon.. maybe a bit crowded, but if you want to spend tons of time there, you might want to go there first.

We found that with having to be back on the ship by 3:00pm or 3:30pm (can't remember which) and being very unsure about how the boats ran to get us to and from, we seemed to rush through our day.. But we loved it.

"tip for Stockholm" ... get up early and watch the small islands of the archipelago go by as you port into Stockholm.. stunning.. you will see them on your way out as well. (early is like 4 - 5:00am..sorry).

NCL Jewel will dock at Frihamnen on 11 & 23 Aug:

http://www.portsofstockholm.com/

We were on the same ship earlier this month and she docked at Stadsgarden at that time. There was a HOHO boat very near to the pier but I don't know if it would be the same at Frihamnen.

Depends on which HOHO company you are taking and the type of ticket you bought, boat tickets may not be interchangeable with bus tickets. The company I chose does not operate HOHO bus so I just sticked to the boat.

I took on a similar route back then. I went directly from the pier to Vasa, and then took the HOHO boat to Espanade, from there I walked all the way up to the old town square where the Nobel Museum is located. I then follow edthe track to the Royal Palace to see the changing of the guard. There is a HOHO boat station near to the Royal Palace where I catched the boat back to the pier.

Stockholm is a beautiful city and it's a pity that I could only stayed there for just a few hours. Have a good time!

we want to go to the Nobel Museum, which I believe is in Gamla Stan. Is the Nobel Museum near City Hall (i.e. within walking distance?)

Yes, the Nobel Museum is on Stortorget ("Big Square") in the middle of Gamla Stan just south of the palace. It is about 0.7 miles walk from there to the City Hall.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stortorget

We caught the HoHo bus right at the dock, and took it to the Opera House stop. From there we walked across the bridge to Gamla Stan. We had a great Viking tour around the old town ....http://www.gallivantproductions.com. After our tour and lunch we hopped back on the HoHo bus, and it took us to the Viking Museum.

Have fun!

Archived