NCL Jade: courtyard now open to all suites

jonbrealey

Eurovision,

A smart suit & tie would be just fine. I think you will find that fewer people will be wearing tuxes these day. I feel it is mostly due to the airline restrictions, but with Freestyle things are a bit more casual and as a result many folks can pack a little lighter.

Eurovisionfan-

That sounds fine. And I suspect some will not even have/wear the suit and tie thing... you will probably see quite a few slacks and a nice shirts.

I cruised quite a few times with a picture window before I was able to be exposed to the "suite life". Some friends invited us up for lunch in their CV and just seeing it live and in person was captivating. Brochures and online "virtual tours" did not do it justice. Unfortunately, our next two cruises did not offer the CV option. We booked very late on the Dawn and got the best cabin we could (a mini) and then we cruised the Sun (no courtyard) but had the wonderful AC aft penthouse. You should try that one sometime... loved it.

Don't let this thread veer you. NCL cruisers are great folks. Hope to see you someday on board.

Hello...First of all, I agree that guests in the Courtyard should expect the privacy and the perks of a Villa that they certainly paid dearly for. DH and I are in a AC on the Pearl for the Panama Canal September cruise. We did not book the CY, simply because we enjoy the large balcony forward, under the bridge. Viewing the Canal, with leisure, from our room and balcony is great. Also, I don't know if we could "swing" a CY at this time.

When I read this thread, I have mixed emotions about being invited to the CY for a Captain's Reception. Methinks I would probably skip it, after reading how you all feel about it. IMHO, it is your area, and I wouldn't want to intrude.

Happy Sails!

Helen

Helen - I feel bad reading your post. If we were on a cruise together I would love you to come for lunch in my CV.

Also, you should not turn down the Captain and NCL's invitation based on a few people's posts. You also have no guarantee that those in the CY would feel the same way during your cruise.

With all those cruises under your signature, I would love to hear some of your "cruise tales".

When I read this thread, I have mixed emotions about being invited to the CY for a Captain's Reception. Methinks I would probably skip it, after reading how you all feel about it. IMHO, it is your area, and I wouldn't want to intrude.

Helen,

You seem like a real sweetheart. I'd enjoy the opportunity to get to meet you anytime or anywhere. This thread is (in my mind at least) about NCL selling their customer's one thing and then delivering something different. If I were entertaining, you would most certainly be invited.

If N C L wants to explore the courtyard access , why not just allow the AB's to the access.The impact will be minimal as ther are only 10 AB's on the Jewel class ships. (yes I book only AB's) pjcruiser

Ten AB's could mean as many as 40 more guests in the courtyard. It cannot properly support that many, IMHO. As for the party, I for one don't mind a bit, and welcome the opportunity for others to see the courtyard.

Al

Got my call back in response to my email. Same story. It was a test due the underutilization of the Courtyard. I told her that whoever is responible is an idiot and should be fired and that person is completely out of touch with the reality of why we book OS and CY. I really laced into her (I know, don't shoot the messenger) as to the underutilization of the Courtyard being any reason to permit penthouse suites free use of the courtyard when others paid for the exclusive use. I have, as many of you have had dinner in either El Bistro or Cagneys and paid the $20. or $25 surcharge per person and found many tables empty. Since the restaurant was UNDERUTILIZED, I asked her if she thought that it would make sense to fill the tables with passengers who did not pay?? She had no answer.

Anyway, thanks to this board we were alerted to this test so that we were able to respond

to NCL before any new policies were established.

El Bistro or Cagneys and paid the $20. or $25 surcharge per person and found many tables empty. Since the restaurant was UNDERUTILIZED, I asked her if she thought that it would make sense to fill the tables with passengers who did not pay??

Awesome reply. Wish I thought of that.

I think NCL is just worried how it will now fill the giant new courtyard on the soon to be launched Epic and are trying to curry favor with those that might upgrade. At the same time, they are alienating the very folks that currently (and might, potentially in the future) paying for the CV.

Seems to me a customer survey/sentiment exercise might be in order BEFORE anymore experiments at clients expense.

pjfcruiserfl -

Funny!!! Then what would be the reason to charge the huge difference in price between the A3 and the AB. A few steps??? Nice try though. ;)

My thoughts exactly! A couple of decks and a few steps? What's that worth? $50-$100/person at most?

Got my call back in response to my email. Same story. It was a test due the underutilization of the Courtyard. I told her that whoever is responible is an idiot and should be fired and that person is completely out of touch with the reality of why we book OS and CY. I really laced into her (I know, don't shoot the messenger) as to the underutilization of the Courtyard being any reason to permit penthouse suites free use of the courtyard when others paid for the exclusive use. I have, as many of you have had dinner in either El Bistro or Cagneys and paid the $20. or $25 surcharge per person and found many tables empty. Since the restaurant was UNDERUTILIZED, I asked her if she thought that it would make sense to fill the tables with passengers who did not pay?? She had no answer.

Anyway, thanks to this board we were alerted to this test so that we were able to respond

to NCL before any new policies were established.

Excellent analogy. I guess no one at NCL stopped to consider what "underutilized" means.

beachchick

• 2 years later...
Just found this thread and sailing on the Jade from Venice next June. Wonder what the outcome is. We are in an aft suite and daughters in Mini Suites and get confusing reports on what benefits you get.

This was a one time thing that didn't go over well at all! Basically, all suites whose designator start with the letter "S" are true suites, and receive suite benefits (special venue for lunch and dinner, butler and concierge service, priority boarding, etc etc etc) - minisuites start with "M" and are not true suites and receive no suite benefits. From there the suites are divided - all suites with a letter following the "S" (SA, SB, SC, etc) are suites that do NOT include Haven access. All suites with a number following the "S" (S1, S2, S3, etc) are Haven (Courtyard) suites, allowing access to the Haven (Courtyard). Hope this helps!

Robin

Archived