Bergen - how many days?

I think it can be either. You can see the major sights in one day: Explore the Bryggen waterfront and Hanseatic history, ride the funicular up Mt. Fløyen, have a snack at the fish market, stroll through some of the city's old streets. (We had a full day from sunrise until a late evening flight, so we also visited a few other sights downtown: the natural history museum and the aquarium.)

On our second visit, we went a bit further afield and visited the Gamle Byen open air museum and Edvard Grieg's home at Troldhaugen. If we ever go back for another day, I'd like to visit Ole Bull's estate on Lysøen.

I don't recommend the Bergen Aquarium. Although the discussion of local environmental issues was interesting, admission is quite expensive, and I think there are far more exciting aquariums in the world.

You can see most of it in a day and part of another--two full days for it all. In a day and a couple of extra hours, we took the funicular up Mt. Fløyen and walked all the way down back into town, saw the fish market, Haakon's Hall, the Rosenkrantz Tower (next to each other), and the Bryggens Museum, had two nice dinners at Peppe's Pizza and the Enhjørnigen (excellent fish dishes--make an advance reservation), did quite a bit of shopping, and took the 1/2 day bus tour from the TI around town and out to Grieg's house. The only thing we missed that we wanted to see was the Hanseatic Museum.

Les

Archived