Belgian chocolate factory excursion - delicious or not ??

WATB

Hi Everyone, was interested to read about going it alone to Bruges but still need some help please............was just wondering if anyone had been on the trip which includes going to the chocolate factory organised by P&O ? Was it any good ? Can you remember how much this trip cost ?

We're going on a weekender so don't want to go on a long trip as we'll be in the spa half the day so wanted something for the other half of the day.

Or would you recommend just to get the coach into Bruges (£24 ?) for the morning ?

Thanks for your help.

WATB :)

Hi All, for anyone else who might be interested in this excursion. I found out that it costs £42 pp and is part a half day trip to Ghent.....we're torn between this trip and the canal trip but strangely the canal doesn't have the same temptation as the chocolate factory !! ;)

We went on a canal trip in Bruges two years ago but it wasn't very exciting ...

We are on this weekender as well but are planning to stay on board this time and just explore the huge ship.

We are a party of 11 and are on early sitting dinner, we have booked a cake with balloons and singing waiters for the formal night for our friend's birthday!

Carol x

The bruges-on-your-own tour is great, we go on the 12.30 pm afternoon trip, spending the morning exploring the ship after breakfast (you could do the spa then?) The coach takes aprrox 3/4hr to get to Bruges, and there is a 15min walk from where the coach drops you off by the park. You will see plenty of chocolate shops in Bruges anyway, no need for a chocolate factory tour. Do try the waffles with melted chocolate -yum.

You can easily take a canal boat trip while there, you will see the ticket stations.

Spending all day on the ship is fine, but the shops are shut, and if the weather is poor, the pools won't be used much, and there are not many activities onboard on a sea day, its nice to spend some time in Bruges.

Hi Carol, thanks for the tip about the canal trip.........think I'm persuaded that Belgium is all about chocolate, LOL ;)

Sounds like you're going to have quite a party !! we'll join in if we hear the singing waiters to wish your friend a happy birthday....:)......

When we went to Zeebrugge we took the free shuttle bus to Blankenburg where we got the train to Brugge. There are 2 trains an hour approx 50 mins to the hour and about 10mins past if I remember correctly, the cost was about 3.20 euros return. The journey took about 20 mins. If the weather is nice and you want to do a canal trip you can pay at the boarding point, can't remember the price but its bound to be cheaper than a P & O tour. I have heard that the "chocolate factory" is little more than a shop with a demonstration area, although no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong. IMHO you are better doing a DIY trip and spending the money you save on a nice big box of chocolates.

Hello Libralass

Thanks for sharing your photos, Bruges does look so quaint. The waffles look sensational !! ..........definitely will have a light breakfast to leave enough room for a couple of them :)

I think it depends when we can get our spa appointments whether we go for a morning or an afternoon trip........just don't seem to have enough time............we'll have to go on a longer one next time to fit it all in.......what a shame :D

Hi Marmaduke, thanks for your reply.....when they say "factory" you imagine something along the size of Cadbury's !!

As you say its probably a one man band but would be great if you could get and make your own choccies though, eh? I wonder if that's possible ?

We'll bear in mind the shuttle as we ideally want to go off the ship in the morning. P & O only seem to offer a go it alone trip in the afternoon.

Archived