ALASKA EXPERTS! Need Your Help!

I posted on here a few months ago that my brother, sister, and I were giving our parents an Alaskan Cruise for Christmas. Well, we did and now we are trying to book it (we wanted our parents to have some input about when they went). We are down to the Radiance and the Serenade, both of which have similar itineraries. Here they are:

Radiance:

Depart: Vancouver

Inside Passage

Juneau

Skagway

Hubbard Glacier

Ketchikan

Serenade:

Depart: Vancouver

Inside Passage

Hubbard Glacier

Skagway

Juneau

Ketchikan

Misty Fjords

My question is: What side of the ship is better for viewing purposes? I have asked my TA to inquire about aft cabins, but am sure they are already booked. We have sprung for a balcony so I would like them to have the best possible vantage point. Obviously, if an aft is available, we will jump on it. Can you help? Thanks for listening!

Sam

We're booked on the Serenade, port side. From what I understand about Alaska cruises, it doesn't really matter which side you are on because the captain will take the ship close to the glacier and then turn it around (an amazing feat in itself!) so everyone will have a chance for a good view.

The Serenade. But if you can get an aft get it. We did an aft on NCL Sprint, I couldn't get one on RCCL. It was incredable yes they all cruise the passage, bring the boat up to the glacier, and turn it around. In an aft you get the whole left to right view, just awesome for picture taking. Getting an aft for this trip was a must for me, if I do it again...I mean when I do it again, I will search out an aft, moreso then the boat. Been on many other cruises to other ports, aft is nice but not that important to me on those. Keep checking your sailing, since people drop out when payment is due, or the cruise line hasn't released the cabin yet. They hold the better ones sometimes to get the others to sell out. I always end up making a change. The aft may pop up yet!

If your on the side, it doesn't matter, as you enter the inside passage, you turn around at the end...you don't go through it, so you will see each side. Enjoy! :cool:

I seem to recall the inside passage partly being from Vancouver along Vancouver Island. If that is so, the side to the east (starboard going up) would be the most scenic that day. In general I would think the starboard side going north would have a small edge. You might want to ask on the Alaska board. Nancy

We are booked in a Corner Aft JS on the Serenade 08/07/05 with the CC Group Cruise. The last time we had a oceanview cabin on the starboard side and we spent so little time in the cabin that I didn't think it really mattered. I figured that whatever you missed on the way up you could see on the way back!! LOL. Either side is good and there are many other places aboard the ship to just sit and watch the scenary go by.

Misty

Ask your travel agent to "wait list" an aft cabin on the back. It is well worth it and lots of times just before or after final payment they become available. We were on a GTY and was on the wait list for an Aft and got it. We had one for Hawaii and the Panama and it was wonderful. You can see everything. Have fun and be sure they take the train in Skagway it is a great trip.

Archived