back to back procedure in Rome (Civitavecchia)

Can someone who has done this before (In Rome with RCCL) please tell me how the procedure works?

I've been told in the US you have to clear customs and leave the ship, etc.. but have also been told that in Barcelona the new cards were delivered the night prior and they did not have to leave the ship. So I'd like to find out the specific procedure used in Rome on RCCL.

I am doing a back to back and want to know if I'll be able to plan for a day in Rome during the turnaround. I started a thread here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1036072 but decided to pose the question under a different title to attract more specific information from those who might not otherwise have clicked on my other thread.

Thanks in advance for helping.

Can someone who has done this before (In Rome with RCCL) please tell me how the procedure works?

I've been told in the US you have to clear customs and leave the ship, etc.. but have also been told that in Barcelona the new cards were delivered the night prior and they did not have to leave the ship. So I'd like to find out the specific procedure used in Rome on RCCL.

I am doing a back to back and want to know if I'll be able to plan for a day in Rome during the turnaround. I started a thread here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1036072 but decided to pose the question under a different title to attract more specific information from those who might not otherwise have clicked on my other thread.

We've been through this three times, two on Princess, and one on RC. We were issued our new cards either the night before, or the morning we docked. We then left the ship to spend time in whatever city we were in at the time. You do not have to stay on the ship. Just go to the purser's desk when you board the ship and ask about how your ship handles this.

Have fun!

Our experience is:

Each ship handles this differently (even on the same line). We were on the Galaxy a couple of years ago and did a b2b that started/ended in Civitavecchia (Rome). We got our new card at the purser's desk in the morning before disembarking and went ashsore. When we came back to the ship we just went straight to the boarding door since we were already checked in.

We did a b2b2b on the Mariner in January and each cruise was handled a little differently on the same ship. There were over 800 passengers doing the b2b2b. Bottom line, there is no set rule. Most importantly, they do make sure that you have plenty of time to go out on an excursion if you choose. I hope this helps.

Our experience is:

Each ship handles this differently (even on the same line). We were on the Galaxy a couple of years ago and did a b2b that started/ended in Civitavecchia (Rome). We got our new card at the purser's desk in the morning before disembarking and went ashsore. When we came back to the ship we just went straight to the boarding door since we were already checked in.

We did a b2b2b on the Mariner in January and each cruise was handled a little differently on the same ship. There were over 800 passengers doing the b2b2b. Bottom line, there is no set rule. Most importantly, they do make sure that you have plenty of time to go out on an excursion if you choose. I hope this helps.

It kind of helps. Thank you. I was hoping to hear something a bit more concrete, but I guess it is what it is. I just want to see Rome and I will not have any chance after the cruise as I must head straight to the airport. So I can either see it the day we arrive ( the day prior to the cruise) or during the turnaround. I would much prefer to do it during the turnaround, but want to ensure there is enough time to do it with the B2B procedures.

Archived