Can you describe the port?

JRoeT

Hello, can anyone describe the area around the port at Bridgetown, Barbardos? Some ports I've been to (beautiful Costa Maya comes to mind) have a built in resort area, or beach within walking distance. Wondering if that is the case.

We are doing one half-day excursion,a nd I'm just wondering if there are things to do near port or if we should book a second half day excursion.

Barbados is a very modernized and very city like. The port area is a 10-15 minute walk from downtown - which in my opinion can be skipped, not great shopping and rather "dirty". The people were nice. We had spent the majority of the day on a boat scuba diving - which was nice. When we were done (2pmish) we went back to the ship and cleaned up then walked downtown - I would book something else to do if I were you.

It's been a couple years but i don't think it's changed much. It is a u shaped harbor. Depending on where you dock there a shuttle buses to the port building. You can walk too. Last time i was there, there were 3 ships in. There was also a steel drum playing near one of my ships before. The port building has about a dozen shops or so with the usual jewellry stores, some with food, a place to buy stamps, clothing, CD music, etc. Outside (opposite side of ship entrance) is the bus stop for alot the excursion. There's also a taxi stand. There's an open air shopping area with mostly t-shirts and some food. This is all inside the harbor grounds. No beach area to swim is too close. Taxi's aren't too bad and there are some really good guides. Last time we took the bus to downtown and picked up a tour guide there. He was a very nice and informative man. I have bought several things in the shops there. It looked like they were trying to build a nice shop area just outside the harbor enty area last time. It might be a good place but I don't know. Have a fun trip. I'm going in two weeks.

Hope this helps.

michelle

Archived