Hurtigruten and a wheelchair

uppitycats

I've discovered a really good cruise deal on the Hurtigruten MS Fram, a 10-day Norwegian Fjords cruise.

I'm going to call them on Monday, for sure. But I do have a few questions, that those of you who have cruised with this line might be able to answer, and give me some first-hand accounts:

1. I use a wheelchair. Their website claims that the MS Fram has at least 2 handicap-accessible cabins. Have any of you seen them, and could you describe them? I'm particularly interested in the shower arrangement. There is a picture on their website, but it only shows an empty area with a hand-held shower head. Is there any sort of seating in there, or would I have to improvise?

2. Seasickness: This is a small ship -- a ferry, really. None of the reviews I found mention anything about seasickness, except one, and that was for a much older ship (The MS Fram was commissioned in 2007, I think). How stable are these?

3. How do you get on the ship. Is there a standard gangway, that is level (or sloped), without steps, so that I can wheel onto the ship?

4. It's unlikely that I'll do any excursions off the ship. I know that passengers going on excursions will often get off at one port, do their excursion, and it ends at another port -- the ship moves up the coast. Do people stay on during that move? Anything I need to know about staying on the ship while everyone else is gone?

5. I know that this cruise includes all meals, and like most other cruises, I'd have to buy alcohol if I want it. What about coffee/tea, during the day?

6. Anything else I don't know to ask?

Thanks for your help!

Archived