Brewer's Bay or Marina Cay?

mammel123

Our family will be stopping in Tortola in December. We'll be in port from 8am to 6pm.

We'd like a day enjoying the local scenery. My DD (5) likes a sandy beach and relatively quiet waters to swim, I would like to snorkel (a bit), and DH just likes a quiet, peaceful beach. We don't need motor boats, or "attractions", just a local bar for snacks and bevies, and preferably no crowds.

But, DH is a Rum afficionado, and would like to go to Pusser's.

I was thinking to hire a car for the day, and go to Brewer's Beach, then head to Soper's Hole. Alternatively, we could try Marina Cay.

As this is our first visit to the island, if anyone thinks one is a considerably better option for us than the other, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sue

As a native of Tortola, Marina Cay is a better option...nice isolated beach....Brewers Bay is far away over hilly terrain. You would still have to rent a car to drive to the dock in Trellis bay..its right pass the airport. Take the Marina Cay boat over and enjoy yourself...get ur drinks by the bar at Marina Cay. You could then go to Sophers Hole for lunch at Pussers (same Pussers as the bar in marina Cay). Trust me Marina Cay is lovelier than Brewers Bay.

Brewers Bay is far away over hilly terrain.

As a "native" of Tortola you surely must know that Brewer's Bay is closer to Road Town (less then half the distance) then the Trellis Bay dock where you catch the ferry to Marina Cay. :confused: Yes it's hilly terrain but some of the Blackburn Highway sure isn't flat and level either.

Also, why would you send someone to Trellis to catch the ferry to Marina Cay (which is very nice, I'm not saying it isn't) have them swim there ,then catch the ferry back and send them all the way to the complete opposite end of the island just to eat at Pusser's in Soper's when there is a Pusser's right along the way in Road Town? Or for that matter a Pusser's right on Marina cay since they do own the place. Oh, and you forgot to mention the $5 Pp fee for the ferry.

Yes, Marina Cay is nice and I have recommended it in the past but better then Brewer's, not hardly. For the items this person is looking for, Brewer's fills all their requests and is a lot easier to get to.

To be frank about it, it sounds like you are more interested in keeping people away from Brewer's. :rolleyes:

My girlfriend and I rented a Jeep (no, a REAL Jeep) at International Car Rentals and drove all over Tortola a year and a half ago. It was AWESOME. For your needs, Road Town -> Brewers -> Soper's sounds ideal; as the car rental agent will say, remember to drive on the left! It's odd at first, in the left-hand-drive cars, but with the remarkable narrowness of the roadways, it makes it easier to gauge distance to the curb (or 600-ft drop, or whatever). Y'all have fun!

Archived