Flying Home with Rum

dosherpack

I would like to bring home some rum after our cruise. If it is purchased in the dutyfree shop at the airport and after passing through security, is it allowed on the plane or will it have to be checked baggage? I will have a connection in Atlanta if that matters. Any help appreciated.

If you purchase the rum INSIDE of the secure area at SJU, then you can carry it onto the plane with no problem (it is not subject to the 3-1-1 TSA rule since you've already passed through TSA security).

The potential problem arises with your connecting flight in ATL.

As long as you remain inside of the secure area at ATL, you'll have no problem. If you have to go outside of the secure area at ATL (for different gates or whatever), you'll have to pass back through TSA security ... where your rum will be subject to the 3-1-1 rule ... which means it will be confiscated by TSA and not allowed as carry-on.

I would like to bring home some rum after our cruise. If it is purchased in the dutyfree shop at the airport and after passing through security, is it allowed on the plane or will it have to be checked baggage? I will have a connection in Atlanta if that matters. Any help appreciated.

You are allowed to carry the liquor (rum) you buy from the duty free shops in the San Juan airport as long as the airline you are connecting to is the same as the one you are flying out of San Juan. If it is a different airline and you have to go back through security in Atlanta you can't. We brought back 4 bottles last October and they put them in a nice carry on bag and the seal the bag with a zip tie so you can't open it until you get home.

Flying Delta out of San Juan and also Atlanta, so it sounds like I can do it without any problems. Is there a limit? I would like to bring at least four liters.

The limit is "as much as you can carry"! My friends each carried on 10 bottles- that must have been pretty heavy.

And the only problem comes into play if you change planes and have to change gates. If the second gate is outside the "secure area" and you have to go through security again.... then you are screwed!

• 2 months later...

Is rum still the only liquor you can purchase at the airport? We've cruised out of this port many times before and you could purchase any type of liqour on the way home. On our last cruise two years ago, that changed, and you were only allowed to bring back Puerto Rican rum. Is this still the rule?

(only asking about purchases inside the duty free airport store, outbound flight)

Archived