we have 4-5 hours in Madrid airport (12-5pm), worth going out?

JerseyBird

Can someone tell me if there are easy ways of transportation to get to downtown or any attraction areas?

Barajas airport is about 8 miles from Madrid center. A taxi will take about 20 minutes each way and cost about 25 euro + tip each way.

Otherwise, you can take public transport. Allow 45+ minutes for either option to get to any tourist areas. There is a bus (#200/204 depending on which terminal you are leaving from) that takes you to Avenida de America, where you will need to transfer to another bus or the metro to get to any attractions. Or you can take Line 8 of the metro from the airport; again you will need to transfer to another line unless you want to find yourself in the business hub of Madrid. 2 euro per person each way.

We have 4-5 hours, too long to stay in, but maybe too short to go out?

The Madrid airport is HUGE and I'd recommend 90 minutes to go through security and get to your gate in time for your second flight. That cuts a significant amount of time out of your layover. Throw in transport time (even by taxi, I'd allow 30 minutes each way in case of traffic/delays) and you're down to 2.5 hours given your layover from 12pm-5pm. That would give you enough time for lunch and a walk in Parque Retiro, or something along those lines.

However, a couple of comments

1) Don't push it if your flight is delayed. It's not worth the hassle if you have less than 2.5 hours.

2) If either leg of your flight is international and you have to go through customs/immigration, make sure to allow extra time for that. We found Spanish customs to be a relatively painless procedure but the lines could potentially get long. Again, this would probably cut into my time enough to discourage me from leaving the airport.

3) If your baggage is not checked through to your final destination, allow extra time to claim your bags and re-check them. Once you add in the time for that, it's probably not worth heading out.

If you decide not to leave the airport, some other options (I don't have any first-hand experience, but some internet searches would probably provide a wealth of information on whatever option appeals to you):

1) Take a taxi/metro to the town of Barajas - which is just a mile away. There will be cafes/restaurants for lunch and at least you'd have a change of scenery.

2) Look into paying for a day-pass to an airline's first class lounge. You'll be much more comfortable, probably have access to a shower, food, and drinks.

3) Contact airport hotels to see if they have shuttles from the airport to the hotel. Eat lunch at their on-site restaurant, which is probably better than airport food. They may also have a pool which you could use (probably for a fee), along with locker rooms & showers to freshen up. Most have business centers with computers and internet so you could contact home if needed. They may even have rooms you could use for a few hours to nap and clean up a little bit.

You don't have nearly as much time as you think you do, but given that I hate sitting around airports, I'd look into options for leaving just to be more comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of good advice there for you!!! I travel fairly regularly through Barajas, usually with the same length of stopover. I do try to get into the centre each time, but I know exactly where I'm going, which Metro stations to change at etc etc etc. I don't use the taxis, mainly due to the rush hour traffic. If your layover is 5 hours of free time i.e. isn't your arrival and departure times, then I would say go into the centre, walk round the Plaza Mayor, have a bite to eat, look at Puerto del Sol, and walk down to the Royal Palace which is just lovely. Less that than, Barajas village has a nice town square with a few restaurants around the edge, there is also a very pretty church with a small garden attached. If you do decide to stay in the airport, there are good shops plus a good restaurant with waiter service, depending what terminal you are at.

Archived