Bimini Boatyard and Oasis Cafe Fort Lauderdale

royalcruz

Well, I decided to go to Bimini for lunch today, as I haven't been there since the new owners took over last summer...found that it is closed for remodeling and is set to reopen August 31st. I used to love this place but I still don't know what it is like now. I tried...:rolleyes:

So I went to Oasis instead. It is across the street from the ocean, between the Bahia Mar and the Courtyard Marriott. The tables and chairs are swings, and there was lots of shade and a nice breeze. There is a nice view of the beach, palm trees, and catamarans. It gets noisy at times from the traffic. I had a blackened fish burrito and fries (on the specials board) and my friend had a turkey wrap with a bag of potato chips. It was $30 for the 2 lunches, 2 huge Cokes, tax and 16% tip (added automatically). There is valet parking at night and free self-parking in the daytime if you can get a spot. A nearby meter was only $1/hr. Service was swift. Family-friendly. The food was good, fresh, nothing spectacular, but I would return.

Bimini closed again? It seems like it does that alot over the last 10 years, or is it my imagination? I hope they make some good changes, last time there wasn't impressed and thought it was overpriced and overrated, and the Bimini Bread wasn't "true" Bimini Bread..it was like eating cake.

We went to "Wahoos' on Federal a couple weeks ago..recommend it highly..great bar prices, food was really on the cheap and it was nice and clean.

Well, I decided to go to Bimini for lunch today, as I haven't been there since the new owners took over last summer...found that it is closed for remodeling and is set to reopen August 31st. I used to love this place but I still don't know what it is like now. I tried...:rolleyes:

So I went to Oasis instead. It is across the street from the ocean, between the Bahia Mar and the Courtyard Marriott. The tables and chairs are swings, and there was lots of shade and a nice breeze. There is a nice view of the beach, palm trees, and catamarans. It gets noisy at times from the traffic. I had a blackened fish burrito and fries (on the specials board) and my friend had a turkey wrap with a bag of potato chips. It was $30 for the 2 lunches, 2 huge Cokes, tax and 16% tip (added automatically). There is valet parking at night and free self-parking in the daytime if you can get a spot. A nearby meter was only $1/hr. Service was swift. Family-friendly. The food was good, fresh, nothing spectacular, but I would return.

Bimini closed again? It seems like it does that alot over the last 10 years, or is it my imagination? I hope they make some good changes, last time there wasn't impressed and thought it was overpriced and overrated, and the Bimini Bread wasn't "true" Bimini Bread..it was like eating cake.

We went to "Wahoos' on Federal a couple weeks ago..recommend it highly..great bar prices, food was really on the cheap and it was nice and clean.

Gathina, Where on Federal is Wahoos?

I love Bimini Boatyard's bread, even though it isn't true bimini bread. It's right out of the oven and very sticky and sweet on the bottom. Most people like it. I went there once with someone who complained to the manager that they were terribly tacky to charge for bread, bla, bla, bla (didn't go out to dinner with her again). hey, did I tell you I went to Ernie's but couldn't park, so my friend had to run in and pick up the lunch. It was good, but I still don't know what it's like in there!

Wahoo's is I think, just north of Cypress Creek, headed toward Pompano. I would definately eat there.

What did you have at Ernies?? LOL..inside..well, think old, tacky, bar whole-in-the-wall feel. I still swear by their conch chowder.

Gathina, Where on Federal is Wahoos?

I love Bimini Boatyard's bread, even though it isn't true bimini bread. It's right out of the oven and very sticky and sweet on the bottom. Most people like it. I went there once with someone who complained to the manager that they were terribly tacky to charge for bread, bla, bla, bla (didn't go out to dinner with her again). hey, did I tell you I went to Ernie's but couldn't park, so my friend had to run in and pick up the lunch. It was good, but I still don't know what it's like in there!

Wahoo's is I think, just north of Cypress Creek, headed toward Pompano. I would definately eat there.

What did you have at Ernies?? LOL..inside..well, think old, tacky, bar whole-in-the-wall feel. I still swear by their conch chowder.

I had a burger and fries and bimini bread from Ernies. I can't eat conch so didn't get to try the chowder.

Just googled Wahoo's and came up with a Wahoo's sports bar and grill in Lighthouse Point, somewhere near Sample Road.

This past spring I stayed at the Renaissance for a night pre-cruise. Because it was handy I ate at the Bimini Boatyard. Well, I guess everyone is allowed to make mistakes going through life. Eating there was my big one for 2009. Definately overpriced & overrated; As I didn't have a reservation (didn't get to the hotel till about 5:30), I had about an hour's wait for a table, then the food wasn't all that impressive; then adding insult to injury I got my check!! Sure is a good thing about going to FLL once a year is not going back to the Boatyard for dinner.

Though it is out of the way, I really!! like the Old Florida Seafood House in Wilton Manors. Good food & big portions; nothing fancy. They're worth going to each time I go to FLL for a cruise.

This past spring I stayed at the Renaissance for a night pre-cruise. Because it was handy I ate at the Bimini Boatyard. Well, I guess everyone is allowed to make mistakes going through life. Eating there was my big one for 2009. Definately overpriced & overrated; As I didn't have a reservation (didn't get to the hotel till about 5:30), I had about an hour's wait for a table, then the food wasn't all that impressive; then adding insult to injury I got my check!! Sure is a good thing about going to FLL once a year is not going back to the Boatyard for dinner.

Though it is out of the way, I really!! like the Old Florida Seafood House in Wilton Manors. Good food & big portions; nothing fancy. They're worth going to each time I go to FLL for a cruise.

Well, if you like Old FL Seafood House (simple old fashioned seafood in a restaurant that hasn't been updated in years), you're not going to like Bimini Boatyard (gourmet cusine in a comtemporary waterfront setting). You're better off sticking with places like Chuck's Steakhouse, Rustic Inn, and Tropical Acres.

The Bimini Boatyard has new owners this year - They were previously a moderately priced good food place - They have changed the menu and raised the prices drastically - they will not last long.

Ron

Archived