Grand Pineapple vs Hawksbill

anniversarycruiser40

Trying to decide which resort to go to for a day pass in November. Anyone been to either one or both? Heard Hawksbill is $65 and Pineapple is $80. Our main interest is using kayaks, snorkeling and food/pool use. Does Hawksbill have kayaks? How far is pool, restaurant from the beach (either one). We just want a relaxing beach day. I've been to both resort web sites and actually Pineapple looks like it has a nicer beach, but Hawksbill has more beaches (not interested in CO beach). Which has better snorkeling? Taxi fare cost to each? Which beach are the resorts actually on? Are there sellers on the beach constantly bothering you at either one? (we decided to not go to Jolly Beach Resort because of this)

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi there, doing some research and also curious about this. From what I've found out Pineapple is a good 30 minute taxi ride to the other side of the island. Jolly Beach, for the record is also 30 minutes taxi. Hawksbill looks to be much closer but I don't think it has much of a pool. Grand Pineapple has premium liquors included in their a/i rates, none of the others do (with exception of Sandals at $110pp). I am a pool person (not a huge fan of sand) but I don't like the idea of being clear across the island when I'm drinking. Sadly, not sure how much if any I'd really drink if I am unhappy with the selection.

At this point I have a feeling I'll end up at Hawksbill but would love to hear another option.

Thanks for information on taxi drive to resorts as we have also considered Jolly Beach Resort. Will read a negative and then a positve! At this point I am pretty confused. My main concern is snorkeling and kayak rentals Anyone been to any of these recently? We have decided against Jolly because we hear the snorkeling is not good there, but is it good at the other resorts????

• 2 weeks later...

Well add me to the list of people who is looking for an all-inclusive to spend the day in at Antigua. We are also intersted in snorkeling, kayaking and pools.

My first question is does anyone know how much a 30 minute cab ride is likely to cost?

Next, we have never gone to an A/I... do most of them offer day passes? Are all of the amenities usually included? Is snorkeling just off the beach or do they have a boat that acutally takes you away from the shore? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

We have been to Hawksbill 2 times and will probably return there again on our next cruise. THe cost of the day pass depends on the time of day that you arrive. It has been our experience that Hawksbill is uncrowded and for the most part quiet. THey have several beaches, the furtherest one being Eden which some people find appealing (clothing optional, and something you wont find elsewhere in Antigua). Have not snorkelled there so I can't tell you how that might be. We have found the food to be good. It is a short taxi ride from the port but we find that we usually have to ask more than one driver before we find one to take us. I guess because it is close. We have always had the same one come back for us at a specified time.

Have some pictures taken there....link is below. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Yes the pictures of the beach were taken at Hawksbill. I have lots more I will try to add.

Taxi: I think we paid $15 each way last trip but it all depends on who you get to take you. Both times they tried to suggest other "more beautiful" beaches but we stuck with Hawksbill because had already talked to them. I am sure there are prettier beaches on the island but as you may have noticed in my pictures there are no crowds. I am sure the other more beautiful beaches are also further away and they would make more. Both times though they agreed to come back to get us at a specifed time, and they did. Even if they had not have showed up the front desk is very helpful and offered to arrange transportation back for us.

Not sure about kayaks. We just used the beaches.

Food and drink is ok..nothing fancy But not terrible by any means.

I have the email addy to the resort somewhere..i will post it later. you can email them and ask about kayaks. They usually answer promptly and are very nice.

l

Where are you finding prices for day passes? The only hotel website that I found a price for was Jolly Beach, which is $60. We went there 20 years ago and it was good, but there are a lot of bad reviews about it now. Has anyone been to Sandals?

Michael 54, I have found prices for day passes after many, many hours of seach on CC. I haven't had any luck emailing any of the resorts,they don't email back! I think Sandals day pass is $110-just what I have learned on CC-haven't been to Antigua before.

Try this email for Hawksbill:

hawksbill@candw.ag

They have always answered mine within a day or so.

We have been to both resorts and both have there pros and cons.

Hawksbill is closer to the pier (about a 15 minute drive) and is a great value (taxi $15 for 3 people and $40 day pass, if you're not having breakfast). All of the beaches were lovely but a little narrow and on the day we went there was a undertow and nobody was allowed in the water. So I'm not sure how the snorkeling is. I can tell you they did have kayaks and sailboats, the pool is small and the food was ok. As for vendors there was maybe 2 at most, one being a nice old lady, nothing to really worry about.

Grand Pineapple is a nice scenic ride to the otherside of the island, about 30 minutes and cost a bit more. As for the taxi we were lucky and travelled with a group of 15 so the price was only $15/person roundtrip. The beach at the resort is part of long bay beach, which has a little market and snorkel spot to the right (if you are facing the water). We did snorkel here and saw colourful fish and ok coral. Although there was a market we were never approached by any vendors. The pool area was tropical and just off the beach. For lunch we went up the stairs to Ms. Mary's Rib & Chicken Place and had a great time.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks Bobalu, great information on both beaches. We are also looking at Valley Church beach. Have you been there before? I think there is a resort there, but not sure of the name. The pictures of it look great too and it is near the Jolly Beach resort area too, but far enough away to be more secluded.

Archived