Help -- I want to look nicer this time!

poppan

I just bought this today! I like silk or silk-like nighties that come just above the knee. Not too long, not too short. I have 2, but one is a little too sexy for sharing a room with my sister, the other is getting kind of worn. I stopped by JC Penney tonight and found one that's exactly what I had it mind and fits perfectly. It's not silk, but a better poly that feels like silk. It's off-white with small black polka dots all over it and a little bit of black lace trim at the top with adjustable straps. Best part is that is was on sale for $15.99! It feels great and it looks great!

Glad you found something you loved and on sale. New pjs make you feel good. I don't like spending money on them but I never regret feeling cute in my pjs. haha.

Just got back from my appointment with the personal shopper. It was great to have a professional's help with pulling outfits together, matching tops to bottoms I already had, etc. I tried on at least 30 items in less than an hour -- some of it were things I would never have picked out for myself, either because of the price tag or just because I would never have thought it would look good on me, but to my surprise I liked it once I got it on. I walked out with 3 tops, a camisole, a pair of capris and a fun skirt for $330. The most expensive item was a fancy T-shirt (OK maybe in Nordstrom-talk it is a "knit top") for $98 -- that's one of the things I would never have picked out on my own because of the price tag. The rest were mostly sale items that she managed to find for me. Overall a very positive experience and I will have to go back and do this again! I need some accessories :)

P.S. Thank you for the tips to not stray too far from my own style and not to buy anything I didn't love. She picked out a great pencil skirt that went perfectly with the jacket I brought, but I had to admit to myself that I would never ever wear it so I passed on it. With every piece I tried on I asked myself if I really loved it and I only put the ones I truly did in the "buy" pile. Very good advice, thank you!! This was so fun even though I had a moment's panic in the beginning when she let me loose in the department while she picked out stuff for me... I started looking at all the price tags and I thought, I am in the totally wrong place. But somehow it worked out -- I really like everything I came home with and it was the right price too -- probably from her liberal use of the sales rack and from how well she knew that sales rack too. Thanks again ladies for encouraging me to try this!

Poppan- So glad to hear that you had such a great experience with the personal shopper! Thanks for coming back & sharing with us how everything went. :)

I'm very tempted to make an appointment for myself in the future. I wonder if there's a specific time of year that Nordstrom has their best sales that we should make appts for...

Oh boy..shopping is on my mind. :D

[

"Well, two kids later I am cruising again, and I want to look nicer this time. I don't know what it is -- maybe it's that muffin top I have on top of my jeans, that 10 pounds I can't lose and the 5 more I gained in addition, or maybe the two years I spent at home with the kids wearing sweat pants all day. My old clothes don't fit, my closet is pretty bare, I really honestly need more clothes that I can wear to work anyway. It seems like a good opportunity for me to remake myself, and buy some things that I can wear both on the cruise and at home. I'm tired of being a schlub."

My muffin top appeared out of nowhere! I turned 36 and there it was! LOL I know how you feel!

My advise is get nive comfortable shoes that work with the evening wear and some of the more casual wear.. The mistake I made was I packed all of these cute strappy shoes and my feet were aching during dinner! I actually found some wonderful dresses at some local consignment shops and the Salvation Army... Just double check the zippers and such but I have made some excellent purchaces there! good luck:)

Toni -- Thanks for all your tips! I wish I had done the personal shopper thing during their pre-season (Anniversary) Sale (late July?). I made it to the sale on the second to last day and a lot of stuff was gone (i.e. they were out of some sizes). I managed to pick out two things on my own, but if I had done it with the personal shopper I probably would have found more things. I thought the prices were pretty good (around 1/3 off the regular price?) -- although maybe they just did that because the economy is bad this year?

Madhatter -- good advice and boy, do I need new shoes. I have tried to go several times but I am finding shopping to be more of a challenge now that I have kids. I'm always shopping under pressure and often buy things I later regret. Good news is I looked through all my clothes and I think I have the formal nights covered. I have always loved dresses (probably because I didn't have to match them up with something else -- either the dress looked good or it didn't, much easier for someone like me with no fashion sense to buy!). So I have three dresses in my closet that I like and can bring. I do need shoes to go with them though... I need shoes, period.

Poppan - I'm so glad you had a good experience! If you decide to try a different locale for your next splurge, Talbots will also pull together a bunch of clothes for you to try.

The wonderful thing about going out and trying a bunch of clothes is learning what shapes you like, and sizes that work for you. That will give you great info for next sale season ... you'll be able to do more shopping online & catch some good deals!

It sounds like you live in an urban area where you have shoe shopping opportunities so I won't post any shoe links. But hopefully you'll find something cute for evening so you don't need to carry several different pairs!

Now you just have to post PICTURES for us!!! :D

Toni -- Thanks for all your tips! I wish I had done the personal shopper thing during their pre-season (Anniversary) Sale (late July?). I made it to the sale on the second to last day and a lot of stuff was gone (i.e. they were out of some sizes). I managed to pick out two things on my own, but if I had done it with the personal shopper I probably would have found more things. I thought the prices were pretty good (around 1/3 off the regular price?) -- although maybe they just did that because the economy is bad this year?

Hey poppan- Sorry you missed the beginning of the sale, but still great that you were able to get some good prices. I think 1/3 of the original price sounds like a great deal! Not sure if that's from the economy, but I would be happy getting a discount like that! I hope eventually we can see pictures of what you purchased! I love looking at other people's clothes. :)

Goodluck shoe shopping. Let us know if you need suggestions as some of us like to shop vicariously through others. :D

Good for you! Another great part about using the personal shopper this time is that you now have a better idea of what might work for you. And when you are out shopping if something catches your eye you will no longer be afraid to try it on :)

Since I work in the mall 3 doors down from Nordstrom, I haunt the place every week. Just this week I found a white Foxcroft shirt on sale, as well as a basic black tank. Both are staple items in my wardrobe, the black tank I already have is a couple years old and lengths do change, so this is an update.

Poppan - I'm so glad you had a good experience! If you decide to try a different locale for your next splurge, Talbots will also pull together a bunch of clothes for you to try.

The wonderful thing about going out and trying a bunch of clothes is learning what shapes you like, and sizes that work for you. That will give you great info for next sale season ... you'll be able to do more shopping online & catch some good deals!

It sounds like you live in an urban area where you have shoe shopping opportunities so I won't post any shoe links. But hopefully you'll find something cute for evening so you don't need to carry several different pairs!

Now you just have to post PICTURES for us!!! :D

Ooh I think we have a Talbots here -- unless they closed when I wasn't looking (entirely possible!).

I feel like I learned a lot about how to put an outfit together from the personal shopper -- I feel slightly more confident about finding something by myself.

Would love your shoe links! I'm not sure what style I should be shopping for. I should take a picture of my three formal night dresses so I can get some suggestions from you girls.

Here's the t-shirt top I bought that I would never have picked out by myself... I will take pics of the other purchases too, partly just so I can see what I should wear with what!

P8272677-1.jpg

I hope eventually we can see pictures of what you purchased! I love looking at other people's clothes. :)

Goodluck shoe shopping. Let us know if you need suggestions as some of us like to shop vicariously through others. :D

I'm going to do both these things :) I need some shoe suggestions for sure!

Good for you! Another great part about using the personal shopper this time is that you now have a better idea of what might work for you. And when you are out shopping if something catches your eye you will no longer be afraid to try it on :)

Yes definitely!

Since I work in the mall 3 doors down from Nordstrom, I haunt the place every week. Just this week I found a white Foxcroft shirt on sale, as well as a basic black tank. Both are staple items in my wardrobe, the black tank I already have is a couple years old and lengths do change, so this is an update.

I forgot/didn't have time to look for the Foxcroft shirts while I was there... I need to do that next time. I used to hate shopping but now I'm kind of getting excited about when I can go again :D

All right ladies -- I need serious help with shoes! Here are some options for formal nights (there are 3 formal nights):

P8282688-1.jpg

The last dress looks much more interesting close up -- it has these beautiful beads:

P8282692-1.jpg

Since Curt has determined I'm a Winter, I don't think the copper-ish dress (second from left) is my best choice, and the one with the print might not be either. So maybe in addition to shoe shopping, I should go dress shopping :D

But for now -- I'm thinking I should get some dressy shoes in black? What do you think? Any style suggestions?

Archived