Splendida cruise + some Malta info

Beauseant

My pleasure "cakeordeath"; whenever I'm browsing and catch a glimpse of her,all those nice moments spent onboard come rushing back.

Plus nice scenery too.....but not like this morning cause it's raining in La Valletta Harbour and guess Splendida needs a big umbrella :)

Glad that you liked those pics buggins0402, and that can be of a little help to other fellow cruisers here.

I'm a little lucky,because can see Splendida "live" weekly, every wed here in Malta, so guess at least a nice pic of her will be appreciated by those that have or still have to sail on her.

Bongu Hat776 (p.s. bongu=goodmorn in maltese)

Yes, guess the owners think of everything and the name is very important too. Even how the name "sounds" is important I think.

For example Fantasia and Splendida are sister ships, but Splendida sounds more majestic to my ears.Maybe am a bit biased cause am still "in love" with Splendida.

Mind you, this was my first cruise-vacation (so guess that makes me a "green" cruiser), but in the past worked on many cruise ships such as Cunard Princes/Countess/Royal Vicking Sun/Vistafjord/Sagafjord/Marco Polo etc... so in a way am not that "green" on cruise ships.

Msc's cruise ships all have nice fitting names.... all nicer than for example just a plain "GEM"! :)

Hi Beauseant,

Have just joined the forum. My husband & I together with our two kids ages 12 and 7 will be joining the cruise from Barcelona on 16th November 2009. Have yet to see posts from those who may be boarding the Splendida on that day. Your reviews have been wonderful and helpful. Thanks and keep us all posted. Hope there will be activities for our children to do.

Hi rothtdk1

So, let me remember.....

My room was Cabin 12074.This was situated on the Splendida’s right side/forward of deck 12(Ponte Chirico). That’s 2 decks under the “Bar delle Fontane” with is on the right-side of the forward pool (one with sliding sun-roof).Had 180 deg views from my cabin balcony...super views!

In this cabin we where 2 adults and 2 kids. Main bed was big and more than enough for wifey and me, and every night, we used to find the sofa-bed ready for the kids to sleep in. Sofa bed was spacey too, and 2 adults could fit in it. Go to this link and you’ll have a virtual view of MSC Fantasia (sister ship of Splendida).Check the cabin views there... they’re the same as Splendida’s.

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/virtual-tour/MSC-Fantasia/index.asp

The shower was a bit restricted in size, but if you close the sliding partition/curtain of this shower, it’ll be just fine. When you use towels, put them in the sink, and you’ll find clean ones in place next time you enter your cabin. In the shower there was bottled liquid soap and shampoo too. There was a retracabile cord in the shower to put on wet swim suits on it.Cabin crew kept our bathroom spotlessly clean...+ our cabin too of course was taken care of. Cabin crews used to clean our cabin at least twice daily.They earned their tips!

Anyway, there was a small wardrobe with some drawers, and was enough for all of our cloths. We used one of those portable shoe-racks too. Good for putting other things apart shoes, in it (like socks, hair bands/clips etc). There were some clothes hangers, but we brought some of ours too.

There was a safe in this wardrobe too. Once I couldn’t open it, and after a call to the reception, in no time at all, a guy came to our cabin armed with his laptop, and opened it for me. Found all crew very helpful and always trying to be of service.

The sofa-bed will be in closed position during the day, and in front of this sofa is a small table and a corner-unit with a little refrigerator in it. Did not touch anything from here (not free), but used to keep our bottles of wine+water in here. In this unit was also two 2 drawers with a hair-drier in it. On top of this corner-unit was an interactive-TV.

This TV did not have many channels though. Some Italian ones (like Rai1, 2, 3, Rete4, Canale 5, La7), CNN, and some other news channels. There were 3 live web cam views of the ship’s front sea-view, and of pool deck areas too. There was also a channel with a sort of positional map with the ship’s course/headings/speed etc. on it. Found this useful because used to know where we were when in the to balcony armed with my binoculars.... watching far off lights of cities/lands go by at night.

On this interactive TV, one can check his/her daily spending too....very useful too.

Was mentioning the balcony. This was my first cruise, so don’t know what it feels like to be in a room without a balcony or in a windowless one. Think will be very claustrophobic! But, having a private balcony, sitting there under the stars, hearing the sounds of the sea and waves going by, city lights on the horizon....a bottle of wine....plus watching the sun going up is a spectacle.

Some may say that they can go up on deck. At night or early morning hours, on deck it used to be very windy (ship sails fast at night) and deserted too, so cannot image me going up there. A balcony is a big asset. So, I will never book a cruise again WITHOUT a cabin! My opinion of course.

There’s was a computer connection in my room too (with payment of course) but I took a week off from the internet to be totally relaxed (not easy thing). There were some Wi-Fi points too, but again, you must pay for it.

There was no cinema on board....only a 4D cinema (did not impress me though).BTW, there was also pay per view movies on the interactive TV. If I’m not mistaken (cannot remember everything) it was around 10euros a movie.

About Food, in short (read what I wrote earlier before in this thread) it was of good quality and taste.

You will be charged for the tips on a daily basis and it’ll be added to your total expenditure. (wrote about this somewhere in this thread, but we paid 21 euro daily...2adults+2under18’s). So don’t leave money in envelopes when you leave.

About excursions, I did all on my own, but could have booked them from my local MSC travel agent before. The Western Mediterranean is easier for do-it-yourself excursions I think. As you are going to do the eastern Mediterranean (I think that will do that one in March next year) think that you’ll have to book some excursions before-hand or else from the ship on your embarkation day. For example Alexandria is a must see(Cairo Museum plus Pyramids) but is so far away from port that wouldn’t even dare think of a do-it-yourself here. (Muslim country too!).

At this moment in time, am 50-50 about what to do: that is, either the same cruise that you’re gonna do (eastern med)or else Cairo(pyramids ,sphinx etc) plus a Nile cruise.

You’ll love the Splendida! Still miss her.....

Hope answered some of your questions, and don’t worry....ask more if you wish.

Hello ianmaj,

Am glad that was of some help to you too. I found this forum the most helpfull of the lot, at least regarding msc and Splendida. (MSC Fantasia is Splendida's twin, so you can check Fantasia's reviews too).

You will have fun, and wish that you'll have nice weather. If it rains, there's always the sliding-roof pool (if sunny, the roof will be open)for your kids to swim in+ 3 big jaguzzi tubs for you to relax in.This pool is heated too in winter,( I heard from Amomondo--read all her reviews/tips/answers--was very helpful to me--again thanks amomondo).BTW, little kids are not supposed to enter the jaguzzi tubs if not accompanied by their parents.

I was on Splendida during the first week of August, and it rained a little while we were in Genoa and Marseille. So, better take raincoats or umbrellas with you when going ashore.

There are also kid clubs for teens and kids, but as November are school days, don't know how many kids will be there. You can check the daily activity in the kid's club. They even have a small indoor pool for little kids in the play-area. They can always have fun like going Bowling in the Sports Bar, playing games in the virtual world, maybe your boy will try a lap or two in the realistic Formula 1 simulator etc. If it's sunny, than there are always the other outside pools + other jaguzzis and your kids will like going down the water chute. At night, teens have their own Disco. Language is not a problem...my 17 year old boy does not understand a word in French or German, but made friends all the same with other teens his age.So....just relax and enjoy your trip.

From my point of view, kids are safe on board this ship...but don't leave small children alone in the cabin's balcony!

Hi Beauseant,

Thks for your informative info. Since we would be on board for 11 days- just wondering if there is a laundrette on board to avoid having to pack too much. We would be limited to weight constraints as we would be flying into Barcelona from Singapore. Looking forward to the cruise and hoping that it would not be too cold

Hello again ianmaj,

As far as I know, there's no laundrette were passengers can wash their cloths themselves. But ship offers Laundry service at a price.... see below:

Laundry:

In your cabin you will find a form/sheet (found mine in the shelf under the interactive TV) on which you can tick near the cloth items you wish to send for laundry. (Unclean cloth items are put in supplied bags.)

Regular service is collected before 10.00am and returned before 5.00pm the NEXT DAY.

There’s also an Express Service, with SAME DAY service which is collected before 9.00am and returned to cabin before 5.00pm. But this express service costs an additional 50% service charge.So, here's the list:

Gentlemen:

Jacket: 7.00euro/dry cleaning.....6.50euro/washing+ironing.....4.00euro/ironing only.

Trousers: 6.00euro/dry cleaning....5.00euro/washing+ironing.....3.00euro/ironing only.

Suit: 12.00euro/dry cleaning.......................................... .5.00euro/ironing only.

Shirt: 5.00euro/dry cleaning....4.50euro/washing+ironing.....2.90euro/ironing only.

Silk Shirt: 6.00euro/dry cleaning....5.00euro/washing+ironing.....3.50euro/ironing only.

Tie: 2.50euro/drycleani......................................... .....1.00euro/ironing only.

Socks: ................................1.50euro/washing+ironing................................

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Ladies:

Jacket: 7.00euro/dry cleaning.....6.50euro/washing+ironing.....4.00euro/ironing only.

Trousers: 6.00euro/dry cleaning....5.00euro/washing+ironing.....3.00euro/ironing only.

Shirt: 5.00euro/dry cleaning....4.50euro/washing+ironing.....3.50euro/ironing only.

Silk Shirt: 6.00euro/dry cleaning....5.00euro/washing+ironing.....3.50euro/ironing only.

Skirt: 4.00euro/dry cleaning....3.50euro/washing+ironing.....1.90euro/ironing only.

Evening Dress: 8.90euro/dry cleaning....7.90euro/washing+ironing...4.00euro/ironing only.

Suit: 8.90euro/dry cleaning.......................................... .4.00euro/ironing only.

Scarf: 3.00euro/dry cleaning.......................................... .............................

Dressing Gown:...............................3.00euro/washing+ironing.....1.50euro/ironing only.

Nightgown: 3.00euro/dry cleaning....2.50euro/washing+ironing.....2.00euro/ironing only.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Others:

Shorts: 3.50euro/dry cleaning....3.00euro/washing+ironing.....1.80euro/ironing only.

Pullover: 5.00euro/dry cleaning....4.00euro/washing+ironing..................................

Sweatshirt: 4.00euro/dry cleaning.......................................... .1.50euro/ironing only.

T-Shirt: 3.00euro/dry cleaning....2.50euro/washing+ironing.....1.00euro/ironing only.

Pyjamas: 3.50euro/dry cleaning....3.00euro/washing+ironing.....1.90euro/ironing only.

Handkerchief: ...............................1.00euro/washing+ironing.....0.50euro/ironing only.

Underwear: 2.00euro/dry cleaning....1.50euro/washing+ironing.............................

Bath-Towel: .................................2.5euro/washing+ironing..............................

___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________

There’s also a note at the bottom of the form stating that in case of shrinkage, damage, fading etc, that can happen during the cleaning process, MSC’s responsibility is limited to a maximum of 100 euro.. :)

Thanks. D you happen to know what the approximate temperature will be like on the Mediteranean from 15th November till end of November. Was in Europe last year about the same time and it snowed buckets! Just wondering what kind of clothes we should be packing. Will definitely pack some warm clothings for our shore excursions but guess it would be warm on board.

Malta is in the middle of the mediteranean sea, and in mid November, the temperatures vary from 21c-24c+ , sea temp is still good for a swim at 20c. About other countries have no idea, but you can always do a "google-search" on average temp at those places you are visiting.

Take with you rain-coats or umbrellas though. I was in Genoa last August and was a very wet day. But don't think that it'll snow in Barcelona/Messina or in any other southern mediteranean city in mid November.

You cannot predict what sort of weather you'll find, so better pack mixed clothing. For example, below is Alexandria's average weather for November:

Average Weather in Alexandria for November

Sunlight 8 hours a day

Coldest daily temperature 18 Celsius

Warmest daily temperature 24 Celsius

Coldest November temperature 8 Celsius

Warmest November temperature 35 Celsius

Discomfort Some

Morning Humidity 69 percent

Evening Humidity 61 percent

Rain 34 mm a day

Wet days for November 4 days

....coldest 8c and warmest 35c! A big difference. If I was you, I would take a light (casual) sports jacket while doing your excursions just in case it gets cold.

Onboard on the inside, it's all airconditioned so it'll be at a comfortable temp. I'm thinking about doing same cruise as you but in March, so will have same problem like you or worse :)....

I am under the impression that the buffet closes at tea time.

However, I just read an article that said the buffet opens again between 7 and 9 - have you any idea if it's true ?

On the Gem I used to get some cheese/bread/salami/apitizers down to the cabin at about 6 which we used to have while in the balcony. Now it seems that at tea time there is just coffee and cake and nothing else till 9.30.

What I prefer on the Gem is that you can choose your dinner time each day. 7 is much too early and 9.30 too late !

Hi hat776

As far as I remember, Buffett was served during breakfast and lunch time only. Buffett lunch in Bora Bora or Pago Pago buffet restaurants (deck 14) were open till around 4.30pm. On MSC Splendida of course....maybe on other ships it’s different?

We chose second seating for our Dinner, at 9.30pm and so took it more “easier” because did not have to rush to get ready in time for the earlier sitting at 7.00pm.... after watching the ship leave port, or staying in the pools till 6.00pm+.

More and more, my wife having to wash and blow-dry her hair every evening after using the pools/dress-up etc.

And also, we had enough time for a drink before dinner in one of the nice bars or lounges, listening to soft music while our kids played a game or two of bowling.

For appetizers /stuffed olives/nuts/wine etc to enjoy while relaxing in the balcony, we used to buy these from ashore ;-).

I am under the impression that the buffet closes at tea time.

However, I just read an article that said the buffet opens again between 7 and 9 - have you any idea if it's true ?

On the Gem I used to get some cheese/bread/salami/apitizers down to the cabin at about 6 which we used to have while in the balcony. Now it seems that at tea time there is just coffee and cake and nothing else till 9.30.

What I prefer on the Gem is that you can choose your dinner time each day. 7 is much too early and 9.30 too late !

I believe it is on the American sailings that the buffet opens in the evening for a while. They don't do this in the Med. I don't think the idea would appeal to the Italians, you see. They like proper sit down evening meals.

Well, I think that food on Splendida was the least of my concerns. If a person wants, he/she can spend:

1) From 6.30am till 10.00am eating as much as their stomach holds for breakfast.

2) 2 hours later, start eating again non stop for lunch, from 12.00pm till 4.30pm.

3) tea or coffee + cake/sandwiches at tea-time....

4) For Dinner 2 options: either from 7.00pm till 9.00pm or 9.30pm till 11.30pm+

5) And if still hungry...from around 12.30am onwards snacks/pizza/buffet etc

So, as one can see, cannot imagine anyone getting hungry. All the above is "free"(paid for already) so, there are always the speciality restaurants (see their opening times earlier in this thread).

But than, think that every cruise ship/line has its pros and cons....

We enjoy the Italian way of life. food and 'joie de vivre' so we're looking forward to this unexpected cruise.

My so called problem is that after a good breakfast, we only have a light lunch at the Ports of Call (don't want to miss anything) and so when we returned to the ship at about 5.00 / 5.30 we used to enjoy coffee and sandwiches etc. Hopefully the tea time on the Splendida will still be available.

It amazes me how early the Americans eat. On the Gem at that time they were having supper. They expect ice in all their drinks - even brandy and couldn't understand that brandy is not meant to be served so cold. The iced water is literally that = a jug with more ice than water.

Normally at home, we eat around 7.30pm, but as I wrote earlier above, on this cruise, it was a different case.We don't like to rush things, and like to take it easy while on vacation....but had one "problem". I had my nine year old daughter with me and 99% of the time had trouble to keep her awake during dinner (normally she slept in the theatre as the second show started at around 11.30pm), so would have prefered to eat dinner at least at 8.30pm....but you cannot have it all your way.

We remided this a little by eating 3 dinners in the other speciality restaurants to solve this problem. You must keep in mind that kids get tired easily, more and more after half a day with you ashore for excursions plus another half day in pools/water slide/interactive games/aqua park etc etc.

About brandy with ice cubes....its like when some one adds coke or sprite to wine!!! ha haa....saw these things too. Different people/cultures, different ideas ;-)

I know it's ridiculous but I'm finding it so difficult in deciding which sitting to choose. The first sitting is too early - after a day out I can't imagine making it in time. The second sitting is too late but that's the one we'll most probably have to choose.

That's why I was enquiring about the 'tea time ' . Though it might already be closed by the time we return from excursions.

I don't blame your 9 year old - I'm sure many adults doze off too after a hectic day.

If I'm not mistaken, in winter, MSC change times of both dinner sittings. They start a little earlier. Am not certain about this, but think that 2nd sitting starts around 8.30pm. Amomondo will surely know the exact times cause she was on Fantasia (Splendida's sister ship) last winter. But if I was you, would go for second sitting.

You will not get sleepy! Normally after watching the last show in the Theatre, we used to take our daughter to sleep (our 17 year old son, sleepy too by that time,used to take care of her) and spend the night/early hours in a lounge/ disco area having a drink or two. Than, by 5.00am, you would have found me armed with my binoculars/digital cameras etc in the balcony....waiting for sunrise+ entering port. I normally took naps while in the jaguzzi tubs!

....another thing about drinks/free ice+water/iced brandy and so on that left me with my mouth open was, seeing 3 and even 4 people "sharing" 1(that's one) bottle of beer, or 1 cocktail!! Am not surprised that Swine flu is rampart in some countries. :)

Everyone has his/her tastes and way of seeing or doing things. Am not naming any particular country, but if you happen to be having a stroll along Ghar id-Dud/Bugibba sea front,(think Malta is more expensive than Venice!) you would see many of these particular tourists sharing a bottle (1) of soft drink between 4/5 persons. And these people are those that are always groaning about this and that in these forums! There are many of these in the NCL threads :)

Archived