Splendida cruise + some Malta info

Beauseant

The Genoa Aquarium is quite nice and interestingly displayed. We had to take a cab and the cost was only a few euros NOT 150. We were given Handicapped rates (BOGO) and provided a courtesy wheelchair. There are lifts for convenience of the Handicapped.

In Malta there is a HOHO bus with the Kiosk right at the pier, although one has to walk a few hundred meters to catch the bus. Goes across the island and stops at MDINA for thirty minutes. Well worth it.

hi OleSalt,

Give me your email, and will send you the picture of that sign with Taxi prices. 30 minutes in Mdina is too short(my opinion always)....and what if those Ho-Ho buses have no roof? The sun is too strong here in summer for these types of rides.

Hi Rhea,

Hope you enjoyed your stay in Malta and Gozo.

As I was with my wife and two kids, I too had to be very careful with my budget, but good planning is all that is needed. And no question is a stupid one, I never asked anything or anyone in these or other forums before my cruise, because thought that they might be stupid too, more and more being my first cruise...Was wrong, and because of this had to spend more hours on internet to get my answers...so don’t worry and just fire.

So here goes;

Continental breakfast can be freely served in the cabin if you want. You only need to fill-in a form on your first night and hang it on the outside door knob. Just mark the item desired with number of portions. I “forgot” (actually my mind was blank at that time...wanted to do everything at once!) to make use of this free service, but if I do another cruise with MSC will surely order it. So, as you see, you can have your free cup of coffee + other items brought to you in your cabin.

Times of serving are:

7.30-7.45

7.45-8.00

8.00-8.15

8.15-8.30

8.30-8.45

8.45-9.00

9.00-9.15

9.15-9.30

9.30-9.45

9.45-10.00

The Continental Breakfast items are:

Coffee (normal or decaffeinated)

Tea

Cold/warm Milk

Chocolate

Yoghurt

Honey

Brioches

Croissants

Rolls

Butter

Rye Bread

Wholemeal bread

Toast

Jam

Orange juice

Grape-fruit juice.

Apart this, coffee is only free while having Breakfast in the other cafeterias/lounges/restaurants. And if I remember clearly, at around 4/5pm, coffee+tea was freely served too (plus some piece of cake too).

I bought water packages (included in my wine pack). But you can buy the water pack only (14 x Mineral water 100cl bottles.....20euro) or else drink Tap water (from cabin bathroom sink). Taste was good cause when washing my teeth I tasted it by drinking a glass of it, and am still alive...so you can always fill an empty bottle of water and put it in the small cabin refrigerator. But with meals, you have to pay for bottled water. Never asked for tap-water, so don’t know if it’s served in the main restaurants.

So, you can only have free coffee/tea/fruit juice in your cabin once in the morning. Other drinks/food items after 10am are charged.

Genoa:

About Genoa, read my last posting for more info. In short, I went to the Genoa Aquarium and had a buzz there. Only a mile away, and will cost you only 17 euro to enter. Gates open at 9.30am, and you can spend 2 or 3 hours exploring in there. It’s only a mile away from where the Splendida docks....a 25minute walk. As you get off the ship, and exit the cruise terminal, turn on your right and walk along the quay. A tip: Use Google Earth to explore/print maps before-hand. There is also a Maritime museum next to this Aquarium +other interesting sites nearby, like the Pirate Galleon, “Galeone Neptune,” just a stone’s throw from the same aquarium (on way back to the ship, and just before the Maritime Museum). This was used for a pirate's movie, and kids (+ big kids too like us) love exploring it. Only 5 euro to enter

http://www.acquariodigenova.it

Others went to visit Porto Fino. Nice place too, but preferred something simpler and much less costly. Msc excursions are very expensive....well, for me anyway. So, by doing some "homework" before, you can see spectacular sights too, and get off much cheaper.

Barcelona:

About Barcelona: As my wife and I are early risers,(even though every night we used to return to our cabin around 1.30am), that morning by 8.00am, we already had had breakfast and were down in the foyer, waiting to get off ship. Cannot remember the exact time we got off, but remember that the ship began entering slowly in the harbour around 6.30am. She docked at around 7am, and think first persons got ashore at around 8.15am.

We got out near to the taxi-bay in front of the terminal, and told the driver to take us to Sagrada Familia. I know how to speak Italian, so understand a little Spanish too, but had printed an A4 sized map of Barcelona (from the internet) with important sites high-lighted in it just in case. Even "studied" Google Earth maps of area beforehand.

The taxis are metered. They charge 2euros as you get in the cab, another 2.10euros extra because of getting on/off at terminal, than its 1.10euros/km. For me, that spelled 16euros from terminal the Sagrada Familia. Trip took about 15 minutes. As it was very early to go to the zoo (opens at 10am), we had ample time to take pics+ video of this magnificent building. It's a work of art and a visit to Barcelona without seeing this gem is a pity.

At around 9.30am, we got on another taxi, and took us (me, wifey + 2 kids) to the Barcelona Zoo. It cost us around 5euros this time. The entrance for the zoo is 16euros for adults and 9.60 for kids. We spent around 1.5hrs there. Little I guess, but at least some nice animals there. At the entrance gate (I entered from the eastern gate) they give you a free map too.

Around 11.30am, we left the zoo by walk and went towards Columbus’s Column (it's visible from zoo's exit into the street). This took us around 35minutes by walk. From there, we turned right into La Rambla. We walked about half way up, then sat at a small bar for a few minutes to share a bottle of Spanish wine with my wife + 2 ice creams for my kids. At around 1.15pm, we got another taxi from Columbus Column back to the terminal.

I had planned to see an exhibition on Tutankhamen at the Maritime museum (just near Columbus Column). But as time was very limited, I did not go there. There's even a big aquarium in the port there, but as had seen the one at Genoa (biggest in Europe, and just 20minutes away from sea terminal!) opted for the zoo instead.

Tunis:

....I was there 2 years ago, much south, in a place called Port El Cantaui (or something like that). This is a big tourist resort with many hotels/golf courses/water park/long sandy beaches etc. It's safe for westerners inside the complex, but travelling on your own outside has its risks...more and more for a woman! Tunisian shepherds even offer goats in exchange for women! But better “shhhh” on this one. But am not kidding.

There are many ancient Roman ruins there to see, like for example the coliseum of El Djem (too far from Tunis port though).Ruins of Carthage are in reach from Tunis though, but again, if you want to go ashore DON’T GO ALONE. See that you are dressed "properly". This is a Muslim country and they get offended easily. Another thing, don't go to the mall (SUK) because they pester women (touch here and there...) and its imperative to see that you are early back on board and don’t get lost. You cannot catch a train for your next port of call if you miss the boat (as next stop is Malta). Ship arrives in Tunis around 2.00pm and leaves at 7.30pm. I stayed aboard at Tunis, enjoying and relaxing in the Jacuzzi tubs ;-)

Messina:

As I went many times to Sicily (only 30mins by plane from Malta), I did a little "do-it-myself" tour of Messina. It’s safe for women here, not like Tunis!

Ship docked at around 7.00am and we were ashore at around 8.00am. First we went to see the Church of the Annunciation of the Catalans (Annunziata dei Catalani) which is just 5mins walk from terminal exit on your left. This church I heard, has the world's largest astronomical clock (has some 33,000 gears). In front of this church is the Orion Fountain.

Than we went uphill to another church called Sacrario di Cristo Re. This took us about 20mins walking at a normal pace. In front of this church, one can enjoy a breathtaking panoramic view of Messina plus its straits, with mainland Italy visible too. MSC Splendida looks gigantic from up there. She dwarfed other cruise ships near her. After we went down “Viale Boccetta” to the pier, and back onboard. Again, use Google earth, just feed in site names and you’ll see how easy it is to roam on your own

Nothing special, an hour and a half easy walk. But as this day was my first full day onboard Splendida, didn't want to waste much time ashore. Had much exploring to do onboard ;-). But if you have never been to Sicily, at least you can try to book an excursion to visit Mt.Etna (think taking a taxi is cheaper). Awesome! (p.s. Beware of pickpockets on small scooters.)

Just for you info too: when ship left Messina, and headed north towards Civitavecchia (Rome), our ship's captain passed us very near to the island of Stromboli. This is an active volcano and is populated too (crazy in my opinion).Splendida approached it slowly and we had enough time for pictures + videos. Stromboli just shoots out of the sea and is around 3,000ft high and last erupted a year ago.

Marseille:

We did not go ashore in Marseille cause we spent night dancing/drinking, so opted for a day of relax in the pools and Jacuzzis. But I heard people who did the msc Marseille excursion say that it was not worth the money they paid. So, in a way we did good to relax aboard....anyway, we tried to balance between going ashore and enjoying the ship.

And as docking was very far from the city, this was not my liking. There is a shuttle bus operated by msc from the port to the city though. Another thing that kept me away from a “do-it-yourself” tour of Marseille was that I don’t understand a word in French. Frenchmen rarely, if ever, reply to English speaking people. Had a bitter experience like this while in Paris. Again like in Tunis, opted for a day basking in the sun /swimming in pools/ Jacuzzi etc and was better off. Maybe am a bit biased about this, but this is my opinion and you asked for it.

4D Cinema:

Tried this and in my opinion was not worth it. Did not time duration of this "4D movie" (was like a space-themed rollercoaster, with rocking seats and blasting sound) but think that maybe was nearly 6minutes long. Anyway, me + my 2 kids cost 20.70euro.

F1 simulator:

Car model was realistic in it's shape, but screen graphics were a bit down in my opinion. And watching other guys "driving" it seemed more like driving a Panzer Tank than a Formula1. Car shook too much, and two laps are too few to get used to driving it. So did not try this.

Bowling:

This was fun, and more worth it....at 3euro/game.

Hi Beauseant

thank you for your detailed posts. I am going on the Splendida in March and as a first time cruiser am trying to learn as much as I can about cruising, as well as port destinations. At the beginning of your post you mentioned that your cabin was on the starboard side and as such you enjoyed the views on approach to port - passengers on the postside had to go on deck.

I am very confused about your comment. I thought that port side of the ship was just that - facing the port on entry and therefore you would see everything and that starboard faced away from the port?

Please explain - and I apologise in advance if this is a ridiculous question.

Beauseant - a splendid review. (Norman Hamilton couldn't have done better !!!!) So very comprehensive.

I'm not sure if you mentioned the 198 bus. You catch it from just outside the terminal gate and it is 1 eur up to Valletta . It is a circular bus that goes all round Valletta.

There are a couple of good articles on cruising on the Trip Advisor Valletta Forum, have a look - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g190311-Malta.html

Another good link is on CC started by someone who knew nothing about Malta and asked for some info - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=921140

So many people see Malta on the itenary of their cruise and feel disappointed as they know nothing about it. After having visited it , so far everyone I met and all the posts on CC were impressed at how much it has to offer. Beauseant - do you agree ?

Hell pinkzinc,

This was my first cruise too, so know how you feel. It's obvious that you feel a bit confused, but just take it easy and enjoy your trip. That's why doing some research about the ship (deck plans/eatting time/departures-arrivals at ports etc) plus getting some info about ports of call (downloading maps/seeing where the interesting sites are etc) will make it more easy for you to feel "at home" more quickly once you step aboard.

By the way, speaking for myself, by going just one cruise does not make me an expert or something. Far from it. Plus as every ship is different(ship/crew/passengers), I guess people will have different experiences on their cruise. I for one had a very positive experience(just one or two little snags that were caused by other passengers), and so will do another Splendida/Fantasia (love big ships) cruise for sure.

Now a bit about ship direction-names:

Ahead or infront of the ship is called "Forward". "Aft" is the back of the ship. All along her right-side is called "Starboard", and along her left-side's called "Port". And the middle of the ship is called "mid-ship". So can understand why these terms can seem a bit confusing.

My cabin was right-side(starboard) and just 2 decks under the front covered pool(under the pool's right-side bar). Anyway, one has different views from both sides of the ship...and a quick ride up to deck 15 or 16 will give you 360deg views.

Hope answered your question, and again, enjoy your trip :)

Aw my friend (hello hat776),

Thanks for your nice words. Unfortunately, most people have never heard about Malta. More and more seeing that it's only just a little 20mile long island, they probably think that it's just a barren rock. But appearances deceive many times, and one case is Malta's. Malta is a historical haven.

For example we have historical sites that pre-date the Pyramids of Giza by over 1,500 years! And as many ancient civilizations colonized/used here as their base, they left their mark here. (Phoenicians, Carthaginian, Romans, Byzantine Empire, Arabs, Normans, Sicilians ...Knights of St.John, British Empire etc.)

No, think forgot about the bus that goes on a round trip around Valletta from the cruise terminal. Thanks for reminding.

It’s true; many foreigners get impressed when they discover all these sites on this little island. These places are not given enough coverage though, but a little “googling” and sites like this one help very much.

About Norman Hamilton....nice guy + his travel agency is superb.... even though never met with him personaly. Maybe he gives me a free trip after reading this ;-)

cont. to hat776....

.......Qabel ma tinsel min fuq il-vapur jtuk ktejjeb zghir biex timla x’derlek mil-cruise. Go fih trid tittikja wkoll min fejn int...(hemm lista ta xeba pajjizi)...IMMA...isem pajjizi ma jidirx!! Disgrace!Imbasta fl’Ewropa!! Daqshekk stmati ahna.

Hi again Beauseant,

Thanks again for the information on the laundry costs and continental breakfast menu. Continental breakfast might be the ticket in Barcelona, as I hope we can be off the ship as soon as possible in that port.

Hat776, thanks for the tip on the 196 bus!

I'm really looking forward to Malta. My sense is that it is like Rhodes on steroids.

Buggins

Malta is beautiful. It has a mixed feel of Arab/European. The Maltese people are the friendliest you could wish to meet. I've spent many holidays on Malta and one on Gozo. Valetta holds more history and culture than you could possibly discover in a day. If you want sun, sea and sand, head for Comino but I recommend DIY as MSC charge a fortune for this trip. The Blue Lagoon at Comino is to die for.

Hi Minty,

You're the third person who knows Malta who has suggested just sticking with Valetta - we should probaby follow all the good advice! Having such great sites to see, easily accessible, will make for a great vacation day. We get to Europe so infrequently that we usually just focus on historical sites and city ambience. We're going in November, and while some of the ports might be a bit cool and even rainy, we won't have to fight the crowds. In fact, to keep costs down, the closest we've come to being "in-season" for Europe was a trip to Portugal this past May :) !

We really are trying to DIY most of the ports to keep costs down - we would have stayed on this side of the ocean for this second trip, but the cost of this cruise was just too good to pass up (and we found an airfare under $500 from the US Midwest).

I really have enjoyed reading all the information everyone has posted.One more question about Malta, how do you get to Gozo to see the pyramids? Can you take a taxi there.

Also in Marseille Is there a tour offered to Arles? It seems to be just as far as Aix.

Hi, pctravler

To go to Gozo, you need to use the ferry boat service that daily crosses from Malta to Gozo and vice-versa. Trip costs about 4 to 5euro (return ticket).Ferry-Boats leave from Sa Maison and from Cirkewwa terminal ( http://www.gozochannel.com/routemapterminals.htm ).

From Cirkewwa, trips are more frequent, but you have to go to Malta'a northest point.By Bus from Valletta to Cirkewwa, trip takes around 45mins, and you just catch the No 45 bus. From Malta to Gozo, trips takes around 30mins. For Ferry time-tables, check here:

http://www.gozochannel.com/timetable.asp?w=0

Some info on Ggantija Temples see here:

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/malta/ggantija-temples

http://www.gozo.gov.mt/pages.aspx?page=15

http://www.holiday-malta.com/resort/gozo/visitgozo/places/ggantija/ggantija.htm

To visit Ggantija Temples, because of the "time-factor", you will need to go there by taxi once you land in Gozo. These temples were being restored recently, and don't know if works are finished yet. In my opinion, best pre-historical site in Malta is the Paola Hypogeum....much nearer to Valletta, and more convinient due to Splendida's short time-window in Malta. But, if you want to go to Gozo and visit Ggantija, it's possible to do in 4/5 hours.

About Marseille, sorry but on that port stop, took day off, having a buzz around the Aqua Park :)

...about ice-water at dinner, never asked for ice-water as I don't drink water with my lunch/dinner. As a southern mediteranean, we Maltese prefer wine (good for the heart too if Red!). Down to tastes though, but thanks for the info, pctravler.

Thanksfor your nice words Minty4 :)

We are a small nation, but very pround of our historical past. Everyday something new crops up! For example was reading in a local newspaper that 30% of Maltese have their DNA coming from the ancient Phoenicians.

http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=572

...anyway, thanks again for your nice words and keep it on with your cruise review.:)

Hello again buggins0402,

If you like ancient historical sites, than Don't miss the Hypogeum, the only prehistoric underground Temple in the World (World Heritage Site too). Just google it (google images too), and see for yourself.

Go there early (book online in advance) and than you'll have enough time for a quicky around Valletta.

About the Grand Harbour - it is a natural harbour and played an important part in Malta's history.

There are fortifications and bastions on both sides. It's impressive if you see it from the deck.

It's true that Gozo is doable but time ashore is so short that I would be afraid to risk it.

Mdina is the medieval capital with narrow streets leading onto squares. There is a good view from the bastions. It's worth a visit. But if you do decide to go there first and then walk round Valletta and then down to your ship obviously you won't have time to go to any museums. Maybe a quick look in St Johns Cathedral - it's a marvel and don't miss Barakka Gardens overlooking the Grand Harbour and your ship.

Beauseant - ghandek mit elf ragun - veru difficli biex tifem dawn l-affarijiet.

Btw...pctravler,

Got this little extra info for you about the Ggantija Temples.

So as told you before,Bus number 45 takes you from Valletta Bus terminus to Cirkewwa Ferry-terminal.Than when the ferry boat arrives in Gozo ferry-terminal(at Mgarr) you take bus number 25. This takes you to Gozo's central Victoria Bus Terminus. Gozo buses are painted grey with red stripe on each side , and the cost per trip does not exceed 0.47euro.

From there, you catch bus number 64 or 65 – to the village of Xaghra. Follow signs to temple or just ask anyone to show you the way...they'll be more than happy to show you the way.

BUT TAKE CARE OF THE TIME!

Is the buffet open during dinner time ? I am under the impression that it is not.

Hi hat776

It closed at 4,30 on the Fantasia and I'm assuming it would be the sae on the Splendida. In my experience it only opens later on US sailings.

Archived