Scuba Diving

cjackso8

Hey fellow scuba divers! I'm a DM candidate in Ohio (not so tropical), and I was just wondering if it's better to dive with carnival, or to try to book outside with a shop? Carnival's prices are kind of steep, but I'm concerned that with going with a dive shop, you aren't guarenteed to be with only cruisers, and I don't want to miss the boat (it almost happened in GC on the stingray excursion... and that was THROUGH Carnival) Also, I love my gear, and at this point, I have a lot of it, and it's pretty nice stuff. Does anyone really bring their own gear? I'd worry about it getting lost or stolen, and it would take up a lot of room seeing as this isn't primarily a dive trip for me. Let me know what you all think. I'm booke for a 7 night western carribean that goes to cozumel, belize, roatan, and Grand Cayman in January. Thanks in advance! :D

Happy cruising (and diving!)

I bring some of my gear, but I drive to port so it is easy. I bring by wetsuit, regulator, fins, mask and snorkel. I use the shops BCD and weights. I book my own excursions and make sure I am back in time. You will love diving in Cozumel. Go to the wall. Stay away from Dive Paradise, they left us in the water on a night dive for over 30 min once we surfaced. It was my son's 16th birtday. He won't dive now because of it. I love diving but make sure that will never happen again.

Hey fellow scuba divers! I'm a DM candidate in Ohio (not so tropical), and I was just wondering if it's better to dive with carnival, or to try to book outside with a shop? Carnival's prices are kind of steep, but I'm concerned that with going with a dive shop, you aren't guarenteed to be with only cruisers, and I don't want to miss the boat (it almost happened in GC on the stingray excursion... and that was THROUGH Carnival) Also, I love my gear, and at this point, I have a lot of it, and it's pretty nice stuff. Does anyone really bring their own gear? I'd worry about it getting lost or stolen, and it would take up a lot of room seeing as this isn't primarily a dive trip for me. Let me know what you all think. I'm booke for a 7 night western carribean that goes to cozumel, belize, roatan, and Grand Cayman in January. Thanks in advance! :D

I usually will dive once with the ship excursion (especially if I am unfamiliar with the area...e.g. have never been to the port before), just to give them a try.

That being said, I have been burned before, because I showed up with my own gear (yes, all of it), and was instantly buddied with two junior divers of whom I was charged with keeping track (difficult when you are also a photog), but I did it. The biggest problem I have found with diving ship excursion itineraries is that many folks who dive with the ship haven't been diving in over a year (one guy told me this was his first dive in 3 years :eek: ), so often they burn through their air relatively quickly. One of my insta-buddies hit half a tank very early in the dive. I notified the DM and we turned around. When we got on the dive boat, my buddy was at 500psi, and I still had 1200psi...kind of a disappointing dive on a 3000psi tank to have it only last 30 minutes. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, I take my own gear (save tanks and weights, of course) on every dive trip, and have never had a problem with anyone taking anything (~knocking on wood~). I'm sailing and diving the same itinerary in January, and have made arrangements separate from the ship in Cayman and Coz.

Cheers...Happy Cruising and Diving!

Thanks for the replies. Sandgnat, what a scary experience being left in the water. yikies. Blue-I know I would be paired with someone who hasn't been diving in ages, and I wont be able to relax. This is why I normally snorkel on cruises, haha. I cant relax then either. ;)

. This is why I normally snorkel on cruises, haha. I cant relax then either. ;)

The only time I don't mind being relegated to a snorkel is when I am in the water with whale sharks:D...otherwise, I prefer diving!

BTW, I agree with Luke gs Daddy that you should head over to the Scuba and Snorkeling board...lots of helpful info there!

Hello fellow Buckeye...

With the exception of Jamaica, we have booked all our dives outside the ship. I do my research and always book the morning dive. I also always make the scuba shop aware that we are visiting via cruise ship and therefore need to be back on time.

As for equipment, we always take our own. It is a pain in the butt but my son refuses to rent so we haul our own gear. We put our regs in our carry-on and pack the rest. So far have not had anything stolen.

You didnt ask but in Cozumel, Scuba With Alison is the BEST! Book with her, you wont regret it.

http://www.scubawithalison.com/

Safe diving and have a GREAT cruise!

Archived